The Stone Sheath
The Stone Sheath
Find the stone sheath.
- Meet Sieran at False Lake.
- Search the submerged ruins for dwarven relics.
- Pick up the stone scabbard.
- Escape with the scabbard.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
The instance begins at the northern shores of the False Lake. Approaching Sieran will trigger a short cutscene which explains that the scabbard is a Stone Summit relic and is in territory where roving researchers are likely to be attacked by hostile pirates.
Once the green quest marker is added to the map at the southern end of the lake, you have two options:
- The first option is to use the straightforward underwater route past a quaggan village to the target location.
- The second option is to take the scenic land route around the perimeter of the lake, jumping into the water later on in order to minimise underwater combat.
Both routes have a couple of pirates along the way, it's up to you whether you ignore or kill them.
When you finally approach the marked area, it will become apparent that the lake floor is covered in debris. Pirates have helpfully lain a minefield in the area too — avoid swimming too close to the proximity mines or they will explode and inflict considerable damage. Amongst the Dwarven Relic interactable objects you will eventually locate the Dwarven Scabbard. Once you've collected it, return to the northern end of the lake to complete the mission, avoiding the pirates on your return journey.
Meeting Sieran (cinematic):
- Magister Sieran: Isn't it amazing? Hundreds of years ago, this was a proud Stone Summit fortress.
- Magister Sieran: They were a group of xenophobic dwarves—cruel, brutal, and unyielding. They're the ones that enslaved the dredge... well, mostly.
- Magister Sieran: Now, look at it. Everything it stood for, both good and bad, has been washed away by time. I'm continually amazed at Tyria's resilience.
- Magister Sieran: The Stone Summit kept their most valued artifacts here. The Priory retrieved quite a bit—until those nasty pirates moved into the area.
- <Character name>: You think the scabbard's still down there?
- Magister Sieran: I'm sure of it, Novice! The question is, how do we convince the pirates to let us poke around? Buy them some beer? Oooo! Convince them we're just shrubs!
- <Character name>: I like the idea of convincing them, but I think we should use our "convincing" weapons. Come on.
After the cinematic:
- Magister Sieran: What could possibly go wrong! I defy those pirates to stop us. You hear me? Defy!
Talking to Sieran:
- I'm sure we'll find the scabbard here. The keep that stood here contained the Stone Summit's royal vault!
Where will these relics be located?
- At the bottom of the lake, somewhere out in the middle. Swim close to the bottom, and you'll spot them here and there.
- Can do. May I ask another question first?
- Good idea. I'll do that.
Why are these pirates here, anyway?
- False Lake was full of treasure before the Priory searched it. Still, what's left is worth a tidy sum to those with the patience to bring it up and sell it in Lion's Arch.
- Scavengers. Got it. Can I ask another question?
- Makes sense to me. Let's go.
Royal vault? What kind of treasures did it have?
- Oh—all sorts of things! Gems, jewels, platinum, magic items... Those dwarves took many trophies after their victories.
- Interesting. May I ask another question?
- Sounds fascinating! Thank you for the information.
- If anyone can find it, we can!
While searching for the scabbard:
- Magister Sieran: (sigh) I should have paid more attention in Magister Stonehealer's classes.
After successfully escaping the lake (cinematic):
- Magister Sieran: Now, that's what I call combat archaeology! Well done, Novice.
- <Character name>: We retrieved the scabbard. Now, how do we find the Sanguinary Blade?
- Magister Sieran: Oh, that's right! I totally forgot to tell you about that part. Oops.
- Magister Sieran: The arcanists back at the Priory used a scrying spell to track Steag. They told me that he's hiding near Black Barl's mill.
- Magister Sieran: We're also on double-secret probation. Turns out Gixx was mad about us not reporting after we went to the tomb.
- <Character name>: Wait, we were supposed to report in? Sieran!
- Magister Sieran: If we don't find Steag Frostbeard soon, the sword will corrupt everyone around him. It'll turn them all into monsters!
- <Character name>: We've got to hurry to Black Barl's mill. I'll meet you there. And Sieran? Don't "forget" to bring the scabbard.
- The relevant point of interest cannot be unlocked during this quest.
- If you go to Koolookuu, the quaggan village east, 4 quaggan guards will start following you and protect you throughout this quest.
- The line about "double-secret probation" is a reference to the movie Animal House. It describes the practice of placing a student on academic probation for a second consecutive term. The probation carries the penalty of dismissal if the student’s Grade Point Average or GPA does not improve after the second term. The probation is “secret” because only administration officials and the student know the student is at risk of being expelled.