On the Mend
On the Mend
You live near Andrew's tavern. He and his daughter Petra have always been there for you. They even visited while you were recovering, even though they have problems of their own, including a recent increase in street crime.
— In-game description
Visit Petra in Divinity's Reach.
- Go to the Merchant's Coin tavern.
- Talk to Petra.
- Pursue Big Nose Ted and his gang upstairs and defeat them.
- Check on Petra and Andrew.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Chainmail Gauntlets, Ringmail Gauntlets, Scale Gauntlets
- One of the following: Rawhide Bracers, Marksman's Bracers, Studded Leather Bracers
- One of the following: Cloth Gloves, Linen Gloves, Velvet Gloves
Watchman Rebec is your first objective and will introduce you to the heart system. Speak to him and then proceed to assist any allied humans in the area to fill a heart. Keep filling hearts until you get enough experience to reach level ten. Check your mail (letter icon in upper left icon bar) for your new message. Proceed into Divinity's Reach and head toward the Salma District in the northeast section. This is also your home instance.
There, head towards the green star by following the street to the north and east, and talk to your friend Petra inside the inn to trigger a bar brawl. Defeat each member of Big Nose Ted's gang as you chase him up to the third floor. Big Nose Ted himself has several knockback attacks, and the gang has a decent amount of health, but they should be easily defeated. After the fight, head back downstairs to trigger a cutscene and mission completion.
- Barmaid Barbara (8)
- Citizen (8)
- Commander Serentine
- Innkeeper Andrew (8)
- Logan Thackeray
- Old Man (8)
- Old Woman (8)
- Petra (8)
- Tavern Patron (8)
- Watchman Rebec
- Bandit Cutpurse (8, 10)
- Bandit Highwayman
- Bandit Scout (8, 10)
- Big Nose Ted
- Deadeye Della
- Twitchy Jake
- Uptown Johnny
Upon reaching level 10, you will receive the following letter in your mail:
As soon as you're up and around again, come visit me and my father at the inn. We've been very worried about you. Also, Dad is giving anyone who toasts to your speedy recovery a free drink, so we're going broke! Anyway, come see us soon and let us know that you're all right.
As you approach the inn:
- Twitchy Jake: Keep walking. If you ain't a friend of Big Nose Ted, you ain't welcome here.
Speaking with any of the bandits outside:
- Bandit Cutpurse / Scout / Highwayman: What you looking at? Get out of my face before I hurt you.
- Your face is already hurting me. Back off!
Entering the inn:
- Uptown Johnny: Come on, sweetness. Just one dance? Let's see where it takes us.
- Barmaid Barbara: Only if you get a job, a haircut, and a clue. Maybe not even then.
- Barmaid Barbara: I need to start bringing a big dog to work.
Talking to Uptown Johnny (male character):
- Uptown Johnny: Back off, buddy. Whichever girl you were looking at, I saw her first.
Talking to Uptown Johnny (female character):
- Uptown Johnny: This must be your lucky day, darling, 'cause I'm thinking about taking you home with me.
Passing by Big Nose Ted:
- Big Nose Ted: Hey, watch it! You almost spilled my drink, and I almost had to mop it up with your face.
- Big Nose Ted points at <Character name>.
- Twitchy Jake: Yeah! mess that clown up, Ted! Let's see some teeth flyin'!
Talking to Big Nose Ted:
- Big Nose Ted: Get out of my sight. I got nothing to say to you.
Talking to Twitchy Jake:
- Twitchy Jake: Do your worst.
Talking to Blaize:
- Blaize: Walk away, citizen, or you'll wake up medium rare.
Talking to Deadeye Della (male character):
- Deadeye Della: Keep walking pal. Don't touch me, don't talk to me...don't even look at me.
Talking to Deadeye Della (female character):
- Deadeye Della: Keep walking sister. Don't touch me, don't talk to me...don't even look at me.
Cinematic with Petra and Andrew:
- Petra: I'm so glad to see you! I heard that you were up and around, but I was still worried.
- <Character name>: I'm fine. Thanks for coming to see me. You know I love you and your father, but you both worry too much.
- Petra: That's because you take too many risks.
- Big Nose Ted: Hey! Girl! Stop gabbing and bring me a drink!
- Innkeeper Andrew: I think you've had enough, buddy. You're cut off. Now get out of my tavern.
- Big Nose Ted: Don't make me cripple you, old man. Give me more ale, and this time, it's on the house.
- Petra: Leave my father alone, you ugly goon, or I'll call the Seraph!
- Big Nose Ted: Ugly? I'll show you ugly, honey.
At the start of the fight:
- Big Nose Ted: Hope you're looking for a fight. 'Cause now you got one. Boys? Get in here!
- Petra: Get away from my dad, skritt-kissers!
- Big Nose Ted: Let 'em have it boys!
- Uptown Johnny: I'm gonna knock you out and look good doing it.
- Deadeye Della points at <Character name>.
During the fight:
- Petra: I'm here, Dad. It's Petra. Help is on the way.
- Barmaid Barbara: They went upstairs!
- Citizen cheers for <Character name>.
- Citizen cheers for <Character name>.
After Uptown Johnny is defeated:
- Uptown Johnny: I can't believe it!
After Blaize is defeated:
- Big Nose Ted: Retreat!
- Blaize: I surrender!
On second floor:
- Deadeye Della: I'll pound you into the ground like a big nail.
- Deadeye Della threatens <Character name>.
After Deadeye Della is defeated:
- Deadeye Della: That's enough! I yield!
Heading up to third floor:
- Big Nose Ted: Hold this position.
After Twitchy Jake is defeated:
- Twitchy Jake: Okay, okay! I surrender.
Approaching Big Nose Ted (cinematic):
- Big Nose Ted: Let's play "Who Can Hit the Hardest." I'll go first.
- Big Nose Ted points at <Character name>.
After defeating Ted:
- Big Nose Ted: I give up.
Cinematic back downstairs at the bar:
- Commander Serentine: Bandits, thieves, and brawlers: by order of the Ministry Guard, you're all under arrest!
- <Character name>: Hey, they started it. I was just defending my friend.
- Logan Thackeray: Commander Serentine. What's the meaning of this? What are you doing here?
- Commander Serentine: Nice of you to show up, Captain. I'm here keeping the peace, something you and your Seraph can't seem to do.
- Logan Thackeray: Thanks to your interference. There's no way I'm letting you take the hero who fought beside me at Shaemoor Garrison. I'll vouch for this one.
- Commander Serentine: Now who's interfering? And on behalf of a mere commoner–what foolishness. Guards! Take the rest of these maggots to the prison. We're done here.
- Petra: Captain? Please, that ugly goon hurt my father. Can you help us?
- Logan Thackeray: Hmm. That looks nasty. It could take weeks to heal without the right medicine, and that medicine is expensive.
- <Character name>: I hate to call in a marker, Captain, but I did help you when you needed it. Mind if I ask you to return the favor?
- Logan Thackeray: For the hero of Shaemoor? Done. Talk to Lieutenant Francis at the Ninth Company's base camp. Tell him I sent you, and he'll give you all the supplies you need.
After the cinematic:
- Petra: Rest, Dad. I'll find a way to help you no matter what.
- Logan Thackeray: If Serentine keeps swiping our low-level prisoners, we'll have to start arresting a better class of villain.
Talking to your allies before before leaving Salma District:
- Logan Thackeray: I'm glad you were here. This could have been much worse. Thanks for doing the right thing.
Thanks for vouching for me. How is it these bandits are so widespread?
- Unfortunately, the Seraph are stretched thin across Kryta. we simply can't be everywhere at once.
Well, I'm no Seraph, but I'm willing to help.
- I've seen you defend those in need. I respect that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get going.
- Thank you. I won't forget what you did. Good bye.
What's with you and the commander? Don't the Seraph and Ministry Guard work together? (same as below)
- Good luck.
What's with you and the commander? Don't the Seraph and Ministry Guard work together?
- Let's just say that Commander Serentine and I don't see eye to eye on how our nation should be governed.
- Why did you stand up for me when you barely know me? (same as above)
- How is it these bandits are so widespread? (same as above)
- Thank you, Captain. I do my best.
- Tavern Patron: Thank you. Those thugs would've beat us senseless.
- They rule by intimidation. Master your fear, and they have nothing. (first time only)
- My pleasure.
- Citizen: Thank the gods you were here. Warms my heart to see citizens standing up for each other, even when the Seraph can't.
- Don't ever let anyone push you around.
- I'm sure you'd do the same for me.
- Previous text
- I was injured by flying debris when that earth elemental exploded. I awoke in the care of a priestess of Dwayna, who kindly let me know that my friends Andrew and Petra had visited me. I need to see them, but the priestess asked that I return her favor by protecting Shaemoor farmers first. They needed my help, but now I'm eager to get back home to the city.
I had a run-in at the tavern with a bully named Big Nose Ted. I had it under control until the Ministry Guard showed up, and Commander Serentine tried to arrest me along with the troublemakers. Luckily, Captain Thackeray vouched for me. My friend Andrew, the tavern keeper, was injured in the fight. Thackeray sent me to Lieutenant Francis for medicine from Seraph supplies.