I am the Ulgoth! I command! I define! I demand! At my hands, you die!
— Modniir Ulgoth
Ulgoth the Mighty, also known as Modniir Ulgoth, is the tyrannical War King of the Modniir centaur tribe and leader of the centaur alliance. Driven by his hatred, Ulgoth does not allow dissent within his tribe and is willing to kill any centaur who does not follow his command to eradicate his enemies in Kryta.
Ulgoth re-united the Modniir tribe nearly 200 years after it had almost been brought to extinction by the Ebon Vanguard and norn in the Far Shiverpeaks. He then used the Modniir to dominate the Harathi and Tamini tribes and formed the centaur alliance to seek revenge on those who had crushed his ancestors and, later, killed his family. He vowed to kill or enslave as many humans and norn as he could.
Using the respective strengths of the three centaur tribes to his advantage, Ulgoth and his commanders used the Harathi Hinterlands as a staging ground for their campaign. They spread southeast into the Shiverpeak Mountains and southwest into Kryta, establishing footholds as close to Divinity's Reach as Queensdale. Despite his hatred of humans in particular, the War King was willing to have a mutual non-aggression treaty with Lion's Arch and Lionguard havens throughout Kessex Hills despite the centaurs viewing the land as belonging to the centaur alliance. He used emissaries to keep up diplomatic relations in Triskellion Vale and had them investigate whether Lionguard were smuggling supplies to the Seraph while he denied rumors of centaurs attacking merchants under Lionguard protection.
The centaurs had a successful campaign at first and reached as close to Divinity's Reach as the Village of Shaemoor in 1325 AE. However, Krytans eventually began pushing the centaurs back and led a counterattack deep into the Harathi Hinterlands. Although Ulgoth mocked their efforts as futile, the humans and their allies managed to breach War King's Greatcamp to confront him. Ulgoth fought the assault force, proving himself to be a skilled shaman as he summoned Earth Elemental Hands to assist him. The War King was ultimately felled, however, sending the Modniir into disarray for a time.
In 1330 AE, investigations of Caudecus's Manor revealed that Minister Caudecus had sent Captain Tervelan to kill Ulgoth's family and laid the blame on the Seraph's Falcon Company to entice the centaurs further into war with Kryta while pinning the blame on Queen Jennah. At the same time, Caudecus had been in communication with Ulgoth. In an attempt to gain the War King's trust, the minister had granted a centaur war party passage through Beetletun lands in order for them to directly assault Shaemoor Garrison in 1325 AE. Ulgoth had been made aware of Caudecus's White Mantle connections but did not know of the minister's involvement in Tervelan's actions. The War King had initially been skeptical about Caudecus's promises but had approved of the raid on Queensdale to see if the minister was true to his word.
- Defeat Ulgoth the Modniir and his minions (43) [Group Event]
- Loses 25% of his health when all three Champion War Beasts are destroyed.
- Loses 25% of his health when both Earth Elemental Hands are destroyed.
- Shock -
- Chain Lightning - Hit multiple foes with arcs of chain lightning.
- Burn foes at the target location. Flame Burst -
- Summon Winds - Spawns Summoned Winds across the battlefield.
- Stolen skills
| Modniir Battle Hymn
(only drops if the Uzolan's Mechanical Orchestra collection is active)
| Mistward Pauldron Casing
(only drops if the Mistward Pauldrons collection is active)
- Quip I: The Experimental Pistol: Birding with the Modniir Ulgoth
- Twilight I: The Experimental Nightsword: Modniir's Ruin
- The Moot III: The Energizer: Rock Candy
- The Predator III: The Hunter: Assassinate Modniir Ulgoth
- Chuka and Champawat IV: Tiger Training Guide: Lesson: Avoid Centaurs
- Treasure Hunter: Ulgoth's Tail
- Uzolan's Mechanical Orchestra: Modniir Battle Hymn
- Mistward Pauldrons: Mistward Pauldron Casing
- Nicabar Steelweaver's Footsteps: Branch of an Ancestor Tree
- As a world boss, Ulgoth will only spawn at the scheduled times and if the pre-events are completed. Timers can be found at the event page: Defeat Ulgoth the Modniir and his minions.
- Ulgoth is inconsistently referred to as either a rank or a title, as in "Modniir Ulgoth" or "the Ulgoth", or a name, as in "Ulgoth the Mighty".
- Ulgoth is voiced by Peter Giles.
- Ulgoth wields the Modniir Quarterstaff or Pillar of Ulgoth.
- He has approximately 480,000 health.
- War King's Greatcamp is named after him.
- Associated items
- ^ Outcast Qindova
- ^ Seraph Soldier
- ^ Triskellion Vale ambient dialogue
- ^ Master of Puppets Falcon Company: Minister, The deed is done. I accompanied your...associates, and we burned the centaur camp. I personally ensured the War King's family did not escape with their lives. As we expected, the attack sent the beasts into a rage, and they've begun more aggressive campaigns within Kryta. The evidence we planted should be sufficient to point the blame at Falcon Company. I've enclosed their next patrol route, per your request. I expect my payment now. —Captain Tervelan
- ^ Master of Puppets Flea-Bitten Bedfellows: Justiciar, the offering you've made of those responsible for the cowardly attack on our settlement has prompted me to reconsider your proposal. While I remain sceptical of your "White Mantle" and some of your promised intentions should Kryta return to your rule, I agree that the time to act is upon us. You say you can clear the path to Divinity's Reach for my troops, and so I will send one of my High Sages with a warband at twilight tonight. If your claim is true, you will have earned my trust. —Ulgoth the Mighty, War King of the Modniir
- ^ Comment by Eve Eschenbacher, Guild Wars 2 Forums