Check in with Emer.
- Meet Emer in the Black Citadel.
Apprehend your father.
- Meet Emer Whipmane and her scouts.
- Break into the camp.
- Find Vallus Smokemane.
- Destroy the Avatar of Balthazar and kill the Separatists.
Check on Vallus in the stockade.
- Speak with Vallus Smokemane.
- Decide on a course of action.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Malign Chain Legs, Mighty Chain Legs, Resilient Chain Legs
- One of the following: Malign Seeker Pants, Mighty Seeker Pants, Resilient Seeker Pants
- One of the following: Malign Embroidered Pants, Mighty Embroidered Pants, Resilient Embroidered Pants
Map travel to the Black Citadel and read the mail you just received from Vallus. Then go and meet Emer in Oldgate Clearing.
Approach Emer Whipmane and she will order you to go into the separatist camp by breaking the gate. Make your way through the rock passageway and defeat the two separists. Go into the camp, you should not be attacked, and head toward Vallus Smokemane. Emer tries to take Vallus in for treason but Vallus is still bent on saving Sesric. A Separatist Commander will interrupt, killing Sesric Wiremane and triggering a fight with several separatists and the Avatar of Balthazar.
The fight takes place in a cluttered area, so try to use that to your advantage and don't let it hinder you. Weaving between the tents and small passageways can slow the Avatar of Balthazar down if you're a ranged profession or if you just need a break to get some quick heals in. Before or after he goes down, clean up the minor separatists around.
After the battle, Emer will take Vallus to the stockade. You can then choose whether to let your father sneak away or whether he will face just punishment.
- Emer Whipmane
- Iron Legion Marksman
- Sesric Wiremane
- Vallus Smokemane
- Chosen sparring partner:
- Chosen warband:
- Avatar of Balthazar
- Separatist Beastmaster
- Separatist Commander (begins neutral, transforms into Avatar of Balthazar)
- Separatist Marksman
- Separatist Stormcaller
- Separatist Thaumaturge
Mail from Vallus upon entry to the Black Citadel:
Speaking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: Idols and sacrifices. See what happens when you worship spirits? Vallus ran off again too. That's a bad habit.
- We'll break him of it, or we'll just break him.
- Dinky: Flame Legion, Sons of Svanir... why do they spend so much time talking to stuff they can't see? Anyways, I'm sorry your sire ran off again. That's kind of a bad habit, huh?
- We'll break him of it, or we'll break him.
- Euryale: What was Vallus thinking, anyway? Running off like that. Does he even know what loyalty means?
- We'll teach him when we catch up to him.
- Maverick: That's what happens when these idiots get to worshiping something other than me, the Mighty Maverick. Anyway, sorry your slippery sire run off again. Luckily, we don't need his help.
- But we need him; and I'm going to track him down.
- Reeva: Whell, this is what comes from worshiping fake gods and stuff: idiots make trouble and get themselves killed. Your sire's pretty slippery, isn't he? Running off with the loot like that.
- No matter what, he'll wind up back at the citadel.
- Emer Whipmane: I'm through waiting. I say we get going.
Approaching Vallus (cinematic):
- Emer Whipmane: Vallus, you're coming with me. Your treason is bad enough, but we can't let the Seperatists have that idol—it's too powerful.
- Vallus Smokemane: Burn it all! You're going to get Sesric killed. Back off and let me do this one thing. No magical idol is worth Sesric's life, no matter how powerful.
- <Character name>: Stand down. We tried it your way, and you run out on us. Don't worry: I won't let them hurt Sesric.
- Vallus Smokemane: You don't understand. We have to make the trade! Sesric wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for—
- Seperatist Commander: Bickering charr. How cute. Wouldn't want to interrupt, so we'll just bury you all together. You can bicker in your graves.
After the cinematic:
- Seperatist Commander: We've got what we want. Burn the prisoner!
- Sesric Wiremane: No! You cowards! Mane Warband! Mane—
- Vallus Smokemane: Sesric! No! We had a deal, humans. I'll cut you all to pieces!
After defeating the seperatists (cinematic):
- Emer Whipmane: You've been asking for this a long time, Vallus. Come with me—quietly—or I'll execute your sentence here and now.
- Vallus Smokemane: I was so close. I'll kill you Emer! It's your fault he's dead.
- Emer Whipmane: Give me a reason. C'mon.
- <Character name>: Enough. Tribune Brimstone want's Vallus brought to the citadel intact to stand before the tribunal.
- Emer Whipmane: I'll take him. I want a long "conversation" with him anyway.
- <Character name>: Not alone, you won't. Warband! You will escort the prisoner and see that he arrives alive. Cut down anyone...ANYONE who interferes with that order.
Approaching the prisoner:
- Vallus Smokemane: You hung me out to dry, Emer, and you know it. You could at least feign remorse.
- Emer Whipmane: You brought this death sentence on yourself. And as your legionnaire, I choose the method.
Talking to Emer:
- Emer Whipmane: Vallus is behind bars where he belongs. Once he's dead, we'll have done our duty to the legions. It's a good feeling isn't it?
I'm not sure Vallus deserves to die.
- Of course you'd say that. You're his cub. Trust me. Vallus has been involved in traitorous activities for a long time.
Why didn't you report him sooner?
- Because I kept hoping he'd come around. Of course, I didn't realize how deeply he and Sesric were involved in trading with the Separatists...until Sesric got grabbed..
It's your word against his.
- I guess it is, but it doesn't matter. The tribunal and Brimstone believe me. Are you going to contradict them?
- Only if they're being misled.
- Not so good.
Speaking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: I tell you this—I hope I never end up down here again... uh, I mean, ever.
- Someday, I'll make you tell me that story.
- Dinky: The stockades are creepy. Like a wooden, standing-up graveyard.
- Nobody here is dead, Dinky. Not yet.
- Euryale: Emer's tough. maybe too tough. I'd hate to see what she'd be like as a centurion...or a tribune...or even a mother.
- Me too.
- Maverick: You know, I used to think Emer was kind of cute. But the whole stomping-around thing changed my mind. I don't want a mate who needs more attention than me.
- A guy's gotta have standards, Mav.
- Reeva: I've never been down here before. Everybody's so glum. Hey is that a criminal? A real criminal?
- It is. Now stay close and keep quiet.
Speaking with Vallus (cinematic):
- Emer Whipmane: You disloyal, pitful excuse for a warbandmate. You'll fight in the Bane—unarmed, with no healing—and that's that.
- <Character name>: This is wrong. Vallus is still a soldier. He deserves a soldier's death. At least let him defend himself.
- Vallus Smokemane: There's no point in appealing to her sense of fair play. She has none.
- Emer Whipmane: How's this, Legionnaire: if you execute Vallus yourself, I'll let him fight back.
- <Character name>: He's my father.
- Emer Whipmane: Take it or leave it. If you care so much about Vallus' dignity, then let's see how far you're willing to go for him.
Talking to Vallus to decide your next action:
- Vallus Smokemane: I've made mistakes. Perhaps more than my share. But this wasn't one of them. I was trying to do the right thing. I don't deserve to die. Can you help me?
What are you not telling me?
- It's complicated. You're a good soldier from a good warband. Your mother and I have always been proud of you. But not everyone is who they say they are.
What is it you expect me to do?
- Turn your back. Let down your guard. My only chance is to escape so I can prove myself to everyone.
You want me to just let you escape?
- You have to trust me. Help me get out of here, and I'll tell you everything.
Tell me now.
- If I tell you now, they'll execute me, and then you'll be in danger. My only hope is to gather the evidence that will prove my claims, evidence I didn't have for the trial. What do you say?
- Thicker Than Water) All right, but I'm risking my neck for you. If you betray me, you kill me. (Leads to
- Dishonorable Discharge) I can't go against the tribunal. But I will make sure your sentence is carried out honorably. (Leads to
- You make a strong case. Let me think about it a little longer.
- This is a tough call. I need more time to think about it.
Speaking to your sparring partner if you chose to free Vallus:
- Clawspur: So, what's the plan?
Whatever I decide, Vallus is my father. My responsibility. I'm keeping you out of it.
- If you say so, boss. But if you need me, I'll be in the shadows...waiting for your call.
- Dinky: Wait, what? What did all that mean? Is Vallus going to die?
Wait for me at the barracks. I don't want you involved in this.
- There's something you're not telling me. Just because I'm not as smart as some doesn't mean I'm as dumb as most.
- Never said you were. But I need to handle this alone.
- Euryale: So? What did you decide?
Head back to the barracks and wait for me. I'll join up with you later.
- Nice try, boss. But I saw through you when you stole my toy daggers back in the fahrar; I can see through you now. You're breaking him out, aren't you?
- I am. And I don't want you involved. Get out of here. Oh, and...thanks.
- Maverick: Tell me you're not going to do what I think you're going to do. They'll put you in a cell right next to Vallus. Did you stop to consider how bad that makes me look?
Not at all. Get back to the barracks. I don't want you involved in what happens next.
- I knew it. You're going to set him free. Let me come with you, boss. I can help.
No. I'll risk everything else I have for Vallus, but I won't risk you.
- Ah, gotcha. And then you'd need me to break you out.
- Sure, Maverick. That's totally the plan.
- Reeva: This is no fun at all. I'd hate to be Vallus right now. Locked up, waiting to be executed, and all because he tried to help out a fellow soldier.
It's about to get less fun. I want you to return to the barracks.
- Sure. Wait, hang on. You've got that funny look on your face. The one you get right before you do something sneaky.
- The less you know, the better. I'll catch up with you soon.