- Effect type
Invulnerability is an effect that prevents the target from taking damage or receiving conditions. It does not prevent damage from existing conditions, fall damage, or environmental traps. The effect is characterized by an ""Invulnerable" message whenever a character would take damage from an attack. It is automatically placed on many creatures during various preceding or ending scenes of events. It is also placed on downed and rallied players for one second. Its purpose is to maintain plot elements such as preventing key NPCs from dying or to avoid exploits. Determined is a similiar effect going by different name, but the two are essentially the same.“Immune to conditions and damage.
— In-game description
If a player aggroes a foe and then moves to a position where the foe cannot attack, they will turn invulnerable, regenerate health rather quickly after a short time, and move back to its original location. This prevents players from using the terrain to attack from a position where enemies can't reach them. The trigger for the effect can be hard to avoid, especially if a player falls down a ledge or if there is minor variations in the terrain. This effect is not universal, as foe can be invulnerable to one player and still take damage from other sources.
 Related effects
- Determined — Determined to survive and immune to damage.
- Righteous Indignation — Cannot be killed and deals more damage.
- Distortion (effect) — Evade all attacks.
- Blur — Evade all attacks.
- Renewed Focus (effect) - Immune to conditions and damage.
 Profession skills
- Mist Form — Morph into an invulnerable, vaporous mist for a brief time.
- Obsidian Flesh — Envelop yourself in stony armor, making yourself invulnerable.
- Elixir S — Drink Elixir S to shrink yourself, recover from stun, and evade attacks.
- Renewed Focus — Focus, making yourself invulnerable and recharging your virtues.
- Blurred Frenzy — Strike your foe with a flurry of strikes, distorting the space around you, making you evade attacks.
- Distortion — Destroy all your clones and phantasms, gaining distortion for each one shattered.
- Drink (stolen) — You become invulnerable.
 Racial skills
- Take Root — Take root at your current location, becoming immobile, but causing several turrets to grow nearby.
 Bundle skills
- Drink — You become invulnerable.
- Fortify (Magnetic Shield conjure weapon) — Use magnetism to envelop yourself in a shield, becoming invulnerable.
 Partial invulnerability
While invulnerability prevents damage and conditions, some effects will prevent one or the other.
 Damage only
- Signet of Stone — Invulnerability on pet, also on the player with Signet of the Beastmaster.
- Endure Pain — Take no damage from attacks.