Revival is the process of bringing a player or NPC back from downed or defeated state. Any character can revive another by using the context-sensitive action (default key ) while next to the applicable target. Some NPCs will revive other NPCs and (occasionally) players. The more characters that assist, the faster the revival process completes. In contrast, characters affected by downed penalty take longer to revive.
- For downed targets, revival consists of healing them until their health reaches 25% of their maximum, and downed characters are thus much faster revived than defeated characters.
- Reviving also allows downed characters to fight longer in the downed state and have much better chance of rallying.
- Defeated characters remain at zero health until the process completes, at which point they are restored to 25% of their maximum health.
- After revival, targets become invulnerable for one second.
- Reviving is slower while the reviver is in combat, and Healing Power has no effect on reviving downed or defeated targets. Fast Healer will work on both downed and defeated players.
- Characters and NPCs requiring revival can be identified as follows:
- Poison and Agony's healing reduction is effective on downed allies, making it take longer to revive them. They can also cause revival skills to not fully revive an ally.
Skills that revive allies
Skills that revive allies can only revive them from Downed state, not Defeated state. NPCs that respond to normal revival (via interacting) can always be revived by these skills; ones that don't are not intended to be revived, but will occasionally respond to a revival skill anyway.
- Signet of Mercy
- "Search and Rescue!"; requires active pet
- Glyph of Renewal
- Illusion of Life; temporary (permanent if ally defeats opponent)
- Signet of Undeath
Traits that affect revival
- Protective Reviver; Activate a shield of absorption when you begin reviving an ally. Upon successful revival, you and your ally each gain aegis, protection and regeneration.
- Determined Revival; gain extra armor
- Reviver's Might; grant might to nearby allies on rally
- Allies' Aid; you use "Search and Rescue!" on downed ally. Increases revive speed
- Merciful Ambush; Stealth yourself and your target for 2 seconds. Increases revive speed
- Arcane Resurrection; increases revive speed and both of you get an aura on rally.
- Medic's Feedback; create a Feedback bubble. Increases revive speed
- Ritual of Life; create a Well of Blood. Increases revive speed
- Transfusion; Shroud skill 4 heals and partially revives nearby allies. Up to five downed allies near you teleport to your location while you're channeling shroud skill 4.
- Ritual of Life; partially revive allies in an area when you exit shroud
Items that affect revival
- With 2/6; You take less damage while reviving
- With 4/6; You resurrect allies with 30% more health
- With 6/6; You revive allies 20% faster
- You gain a small amount of experience by reviving allies. Certain achievements are tied to reviving allies.
- The contextual revive is considered a skill for most intents and purposes. Because of this:
- Reviving 1000 allies grants the No One Left Behind achievement which in turn gives the Combat Healer title.
- Channeling a revive skill (including the contextual revive) will increase the aggression value of some creatures against the character activating the skills, which will in turn increase the chances of the reviving character being attacked by those creatures; stopping or completing the activation will in turn decrease aggression in the same amount.
- When a character is successfully revived, they will occasionally shout one of the following lines depending on race and gender:
|Asura|| I was getting tired of lying around
Guess who's back. It's me, by the way.
|I don't think well on the ground!|
|Charr||Glad you could help.|| Thanks! |
I can fight again!
|Human|| Thanks for the help.
You can't keep a good man down.
|I was in some deep trouble there.|
|Norn|| Good move.
Get me on my feet.
I will remember this.
|They can't keep me down!|
|Sylvari|| Oh, thank you.
I owe you my life.
|I'm up... I'm up.|
- Death and resurrection were renamed to "defeat" and "revival" to match lore, as resurrections are no longer possible as easily as 250 years ago before the Human Gods ceased their direct interaction with Tyria. Because of this, defeated players are never considered to be dead in lore.
- There are some remnants of the old terms still in the game. Examples of this are the /deaths command and the [Resurrect] effect that appears in the combat log when players use the context-sensitive revive action.
- The Replica Job-o-Tron Backpack may randomly speak lines when reviving allies.