Rakt and Ruin
Rakt and Ruin
Defeat Rakt at the Arcane Eye's headquarters.
- Meet Crusader Slep at the Arcane Eye base in Gendarran Fields.
- Defeat the Arcane Eye agents.
- Defeat Rakt and his lackeys.
- Talk to Councillor Flax.
- Talk to Zojja.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
Make your way to the Story Marker just North of Lion's Arch, at the door of a country house. As you start, an allied soldier tells you that the building has been secured. Go downstairs to meet Zojja, etc. and start your search for Rakt. Go to lower levels where you'll see a change to typical Asuran architecture and Inquest mobs. After defeating them you'll find Rakt at a higher level behind a glassy barrier. Rakt will taunt you a bit, then will start fighting. When the enemies are defeated there is a final cut-scene.
- Asura (Arcane Eye)
Entering the instance:
- Vigil Crusader: Stay down! Down on the ground!
- Vigil Crusader: Welcome to the Vigil, recruit. The farmhouse is secure. Slep is waiting downstairs.
Speaking with Zojja:
- Zojja: I'm glad you joined the Vigil. They take the direct approach. And with Rakt gone, Gorr's message will spread faster than a bookah gets befuddled.
Hey, where's Mr. Sparkles? We could use his help.
- This is going to be a war. I won't risk the Arcane Eye getting a piece of him to study and reverse-engineer. He's one of a kind, and I intend to keep it that way.
- Too bad. We'll just have to do it without him, then.
- Then let's go get Rakt.
Cinematic with Slep:
- Zojja: Ahh, here's the Vigil's latest and greatest. This is your order's mission, so I'll leave the briefing to Crusader Slep.
- Crusader Slep: Welcome to the Vigil, recruit. There's serious work ahead of us. Rakt is somewhere in this complex. He's wily, dangerous, and he has to be taken down.
- Crusader Slep: This is a straightforward search-and-destroy mission. We search until we find Rakt, and then we destroy.
- <Character name>: What about the Arcane Eye agents?
- Crusader Slep: Destroy. If they interfere, then they are colluders in Rakt's effort to stifle Gorr's message. Show no mercy and finish the job.
- <Character name>: That's why I joined the Vigil. Like the old charr aphorism says, "The best defense is to wipe out your enemies." Let's go.
After the cinematic:
- Crusader Slep: Stand clear. She's about to blow!
After defeating the first group of enemies:
- Rakt: What are you waiting for? Kill them.
- Rakt: I'll bury you and everything you know.
Cinematic with Rakt:
- Rakt: I should have known. A full frontal assault could only mean the Vigil. Look, you've even recruited the Snaff Savant.
- Rakt: Big mistake, "soldier." Now the Arcane Eye will make a point of dismantling your little army piece by piece, starting with you.
- <Character name>: You trumped-up little martinet. Does that mean you'll actually fight us, instead of hiding behind the Council's authority?
- Crusader Slep: Don't bother taunting him, recruit. He's the objective. Take him out!
While fighting Rakt:
- Rakt: Idiot. I was trained with the Arcane Eye. You haven't got a chance.
- Rakt: Nice try, but my orders are to see you dead. And I always follow orders.
- Rakt: You can't kill me! You don't have the clearance!
- Rakt: I've...failed...
After defeating Rakt:
- Professor Gorr: This way, Councillor Flax. These people have rescued me before, and you can trust them. Follow me.
Cinematic with High Councillor Flax:
- Professor Gorr: Here. You see, Councillor Flax? Everything I said is true! The Arcane Eye have been trying to supress
- Professor Gorr: My correct theory, I might add. We now have proof that the dragons do consume magic.
- Councillor Flax: We know, Professor. We've always known. Preparations are being made to exploit your "discovery" for Rata Sum's benefit even as we speak.
- <Character name>: Then Rakt was working for you all along. You used the Arcane Eye to get Gorr out of the way so you could stifle the truth.
- Zojja: You won't get away with this. We'll tell the world. We'll distribute Gorr's research. We'll—
- Councillor Flax: You'll make a lot of shrill noise, as always. And as always, no one will listen or care. You're wasting the Council's time. This audience is over.
Speaking with allies:
- Professor Gorr: Well, the council's betrayal notwithstanding, this is the culmination of my life's work and the pinnacle of my career so far. Thank you.
- Thank you, Professor, for showing us a way to attack the dragons.
- Crusader Slep: The Arcane Eye is always going to be a problem. I'd like to take down the entire organization, but taking down Rakt is a good start.
Cinematic with Zojja:
- <Character name>: I had no idea the council was corrupt enough to hoard information that could help Tyria deal with the dragons.
- Crusader Slep: It's stupid pride: they think they can protect Rata Sum while the dragons eliminate everything else. The rest of the world can burn for all they care.
- Zojja: Listen, I've fought the dragons, and I'm telling you the Council alone has no chance against them. The only hope Tyria has is for all the races to join forces.
- Crusader Slep: That is becoming abundantly clear. Although from here on, I think I can handle things in Rata Sum. The Vigil has bigger plans for you, recruit.
- Crusader Slep: It's time for us to take the fight to the dragons. There's a Vigil contact waiting to meet you in Lion's Arch. He'll give you your first official mission.
- Zojja: Congratulations. Getting you into an order was the first step. Now for the tricky part: I'm bound for Lion's Arch, too. I'm meeting an...old friend there.
- Zojja: We were member of a brilliant team: Destiny's Edge. Things went...horribly wrong, but I'm staring to think the team is worth another try.
- Zojja: We almost took down an Elder Dragon without any help. But the dragons are too big for one group to tackle.
- Zojja: Tyria needs their experience...and Destiny's Edge needs all the help they can get. Once you're settled in at the Vigil, I may call on you again.
- <Character name>: I'll be honored to answer the call. As a member of the Vigil, a citizen of Tyria, and your friend, I'll be ready.
- Zojja: Thank you. This may fail, but I have to at least try. And to be honest, I wouldn't feel that way if not for you. I'll look for you in Lion's Arch.
Speaking with allies:
- Zojja: The council may have peed on our parade, but Rakt is dead, Gorr's theory is clear to go public, and you're in the Vigil. I'm calling this a win. Good job, recruit. Look for me in Lion's Arch.
- Thanks, Zojja. I will.
- Professor Gorr: Thank the Alchemy you're all right. I brought Councillor Flax to see what his agents have been up to.
- Let's hope they take this opportunity to rein in the Arcane Eye.
- Crusader Slep: I've done all I can for you, recruit. I'm proud to have you in the Vigil, and I look forward to seeing what you can accomplish with our resources. Good luck in Lion's Arch.
- Thanks. For everything.
- Possibly named after the phrase "wrack and ruin".