Achievements are a system in the game to help gauge what a player has accomplished in the game. They are awarded for completing various tasks within the game spanning all game types (PvE, PvP, WvW). Completing an achievement grants Achievement Points () and sometimes a title. Daily and Monthly categories offer item rewards upon completion, but otherwise achievements, achievement points, and titles grant no other in-game benefit. Progression and the associated points and titles are shared across all characters on an account and remain even if characters are deleted.
Upon obtaining an achievement, the player will be notified with a popup in the lower right corner of the UI stating the name and achievement points gained. Many achievements are tiered, and a notification will appear upon completing each tier. For these tiered achievements, the menu shows progression along the current tier, not the overall progression. A few achievements are repeatable, granting achievement points every time the progress bar is filled at which time its progress is reset. Also, some achievements have prerequisites and will not progress until all tiers of the prerequisite achievement has been completed first.
In game, players in the same guild or party may view each others total achievement points, but with the exception of wearing a title, only the player can see their individual achievements obtained. Outside the game, players may compare their accumulated achievement points with others on the leaderboards here: NA / EU.
There are two main "types" of achievements:
- Daily and Monthly achievements — they reset back to zero at the start of each day and month respectively, at midnight UTC (4:00 PM PST/5:00 PM PDT). Aside from , these gain you coins, experience, Mystic Coins, Jugs of Liquid Karma and Laurels upon completion of whole category. There are no titles related to daily or monthly achievements.
- "Regular" achievements — non-repeatable long-term goals. They only grant you and sometimes grant titles as well upon completion of all tiers.
Achievements are further divided up into 21 categories, each of which is ranked by tiers. As players progress through each tier, the achievements become progressively more difficult (the number in parentheses indicates how many specific achievements are in each category):
|Daily||11||Repeatable PvE achievements; resets each day.|
|Daily PvP||4||Repeatable PvP achievements; resets each day.|
|Monthly||7||Repeatable PvE achievements; resets each month.|
|Monthly PvP||4||Repeatable PvP achievements; resets each month.|
|Dragon Bash||16||Achievements related to Dragon Bash.|
|Slayer||39||Killing creatures of a specific type.|
|Hero||29||Completing quests, learning skills, and gaining experience without dying.|
|PvP Conqueror||29||Killing other players, winning in PvP matches and tournaments, and scoring points.|
|Tradesman||15||Salvaging, gathering, applying upgrades, using transmutation stones, and crafting|
|Explorer||54||Exploring the map and completing dungeons.|
|Fashion||6||Equipping cultural armors.|
|Weapon Master||20||Killing enemies with specific weapons; highest damage in a single hit.|
|Community||7||Gaining influence, collecting miniatures, consuming alcohol or food, kills from combos with allies, and reviving.|
|Hall of Monuments||10||Guild Wars accomplishments recorded in the Hall of Monuments.|
|Activities||12||Participating in various mini-game activities|
|World vs World||16||In WvW, killing enemy invaders and capturing and defending objectives.|
|Jumping Puzzles||44||Completing specific jumping puzzles.|
|Secret of Southsun||35||Achievements related to The Secret of Southsun and Last Stand at Southsun.|
|Special Event||23||Special events that occur for a limited time.|
|Bosses||8||Defeat powerful monsters.|
|Flame and Frost||14||Participating in the Flame and Frost story.|
|Super Adventure Box||17||Accomplishments achieved inside the Super Adventure Box.|
- When a character completes an achievement they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura|| Another testament to my greatness.|
It's not showing off if you earned it.
|Human||One more thing for my list of accomplishments.||Another personal victory|
- The first time you navigate to the Achievements tab in the Hero window, all recently unlocked achievements will be marked as "NEW". This tag disappears after closing the window, even if you did not view the relevant category.
- There are several inconsistencies across the descriptions:
- All achievements list the track's current score, but only some indicate the tier's ceiling.
- Some achievements lack a space before and after the slash (/) sign indicating current and next tier amount to reach, while others have the spaces.
- Some achievements follow Title Case (ex. X / 5 Types of Enemies) while other use the normal sentence case (ex. X / 50 areas).
- Other inconsistencies within specific categories are noted in the relevant articles.
- In early beta versions, daily and monthly achievement chests were placed in the game world instead being available to open via interface like they are now.
- If you do not complete an achievement for content that is subsequently removed from game (I.e. Rallying flame achievement from Flame and Frost content) then those missed achievements will not show on your list, so you will be unable to see what you have missed from past stories.
- The June 11, 2013 update added a "((DELETE ME!!))" category to the achievements list which had 8 achievements. This category was deleted from the game in a subsequent update.