Captain Ellen Kiel
We can stop this together. Fight for your homes, for your future. Fight because it's the right thing to do.
— Captain Ellen Kiel
Ellen Kiel was orphaned as a young girl by a shipwreck, and only escaped with her life thanks to the actions of Captain Magnus Irondawn. When she grew older, she would join Captain Irondawn's Lionguard, the defenders of Lion's Arch against the Risen menace, eventually rising to the rank of Inspector. Her role as Inspector was to back up Captain Irondawn, protecting him against threats.
After the defeat of Zhaitan, the Consortium discovered the island of Southsun Cove, provoking the native karka to attack Lion's Arch. Kiel led the investigation into the attacks and the counterassault against the karka, and was instrumental in the defeat of the Ancient Karka. She remained on the island to aid with research and oversee the arrival of refugees from the Molten Alliance. When crazed wildlife started attacking the new Southsun settlements, Kiel was able to identify Canach as the instigator, and ensured that he was brought to justice. As a follow-up, she managed to destroy the contracts that had the refugees indentured to the Consortium, putting an end to the civil unrest on the island.
For her work on Southsun Cove, Kiel was given time off and put in charge of security at the 1326 AE Dragon Bash. After the effigy lighting ceremony was attacked by Aetherblade pirates and Captain Theo Ashford was killed, Kiel opened an investigation and with the help of Marjory Delaqua was able to locate the Aetherblade Retreat, where their apparent leader, Captain Mai Trin was apprehended. Mai Trin had intended to exploit the seat on the Captain's Council opened by Captain Ashford's death to give the Aetherblades some political power, but her plan failed.
With the Captain's Council in need of a new member, Captain Irondawn put Kiel's name forward as a contender in the upcoming council election, and commandeered a captured Aetherblade airship for her, making her eligible. Kiel was able to gain the support of the council by securing a trade agreement with the mythical Zephyr Sanctum, winning out over Evon Gnashblade of the Black Lion Trading Company. Her replacement on the ongoing Aetherblade investigation is Deputy Turma.
 Living World involvement
- Canach's Lair
- Contractually Obligated
- Ceremony and Acrimony
- Every Piece Matters
- No More Secrets
- Aetherblade Retreat
- Strangers from the Sky
- Audience with the Master
- Candidate Trials
- Lion's Arch (Under Attack!)
- Lion's Arch (Enemy Controlled)
- Lion's Arch: Honored Guests
 Combat abilities
- Battle Standard - Place a battle standard that revives fallen allies and grants fury, might, and swiftness to allies.
For previous dialogue, see here.
- "I'm surprised you're not out celebrating, <character name>. You'll go down in history as the one who put an end to Scarlet's mad reign and saved Lion's Arch."
What's next for the city?
- "The Captain's Council has been scrambling to assess the damage and figure out what to do next."
- Good luck.
- "I'd offer the traditional pirate's greeting, but your spleen is better unperforated."
- "Have a good time, but not too good."
- "I'm the law around here, and the law is stretched pretty thin."
- "Sometimes I think this place would fall apart and sink into the sea without the Lionguard."
- "Stay out of trouble."
- Concept art
 See also
- Councillor Kiel was first introduced as "Inspector Ellen Kiel" with The Lost Shores.
- Ellen Kiel's character design originated as a male named Elim Kiel, and was changed due to voice actor availability.