Gathering is the act of collecting crafting materials from resource nodes, including metal ore from veins, wood logs from trees, and cooking ingredients from non-tree plants. Nodes are visible on the compass until tapped by the active character.
Before gathering, your character must equip a gathering tool of the right type and level: mining picks for ore, logging axes for wood, and harvesting sickles for plants. Levels range from copper tools for tier 1 nodes to orichalcum tools for tier 6. Standard tools start with 100 uses (50 for sickles), although higher-use tools are available at certain vendors and infinite-use tools are sometimes available from the Gem Store.
The amount and quality of materials dropped depends only on the node and the type of tool; gathering does not depend on any discipline or profession. Gathering with inferior tools always results in finding ruined resources and certain high-quality tools will generate additional resources. Rich mining veins can be gathered ten times as opposed to three and have a higher chance to give rare gems.
- Primary article: Gathering tool
You can usually find a merchant offering gathering tools in large towns, some small ones, as well as some karma vendors, especially after completing a heart quest. Master craftsmen also sell these tools. New characters may purchase basic harvesting tools from the following merchants in their starting areas:
- Caledon Forest: Malvaisus south of Wardenhurst Waypoint.
- Metrica Province: Zibb south of the Soren Draa Waypoint.
- Plains of Ashford: Kaladrian the Greedy in the Village of Smokestead.
- Queensdale: Horatio in the Village of Shaemoor.
- Wayfarer Foothills: Odgrim near Horncall Waypoint.
At a glance
Nodes can be found randomly distributed within logical ranges, e.g. underground and rocky areas are likely to have ore or mushroom nodes, forests will have wood nodes, and farms are more likely places to find vegetables. A node farm is an area with six or more plants of same type clustered together.
|Node type||Compass icon||Main Yield||Rare Additional Yield||Harvesting tool required||Ruined resource|
|Harvesting||Ingredients|| Dandelion Blossom
||Harvesting sickles||Ruined Plant Fiber|
|Logging||Logs|| Cinnamon Stick
|Logging axe||Ruined Log|
|Mining||Ore||Gemstone||Mining pick||Ruined Ore Chunk|
Nodes are distributed randomly in each zone among a number of pre-set locations and redistributed any time a new instance is created, e.g. after a game update or server maintenance. Most nodes can be used by each character on an account and will reset (for that character) a few hours after gathering.
- Some nodes take approximately 23 hours to reset, including permanent rich metal veins, node farms, and those that produce Orichalcum Ore or Ancient Wood Logs.
- Each account is limited to gathering three Blooming Passiflora nodes per day. Each character is limited to gathering 15 Passiflora nodes per day.
- Temporary rich metal veins can be used in each instance of the same zone.
Required tools, by zone level
|Tool prefix||Applicable area level|
- Some zones include resources with different level requirements, e.g. Darksteel tools can be used in most parts of Mount Maelstrom, while some nodes require mithril tools.
- The strength of the the master tools obtained as Personal Story rewards depends on the level of the story: a steel-equivalent tool from the L15 story, darksteel at L35, and an orichalcum-equivalent from the L60 story.
In addition to the items listed below, harvesting plants will occasionally yield:
|Axe Material||Node name||Log||Extras|
|Copper||Aspen, Ekku, Kertch||Green Wood Log|| Amber Pebble |
|Iron||Gummo, Mimosa, Snow Cherry||Soft Wood Log|| Cinnamon Stick |
Master Logging Axe (Level 15)
|Fir, Tukawa||Seasoned Wood Log|| Hidden Cache |
|Darksteel||Banyan, Inglewood, Pine||Hard Wood Log||Hidden Hoard|
Master Logging Axe (Level 35)
|Baoba, Cypress, Red Oak||Elder Wood Log|| Hidden Trove |
Master Logging Axe (Level 60)
|Ancient, Orrian||Ancient Wood Log|| Hidden Treasure |
|Associated event||Pick Material||Node name||Main Yield||Rare Additional Yield||Home instance upgrade|
|Halloween||Copper|| Raw Candy Corn
Rich Candy Corn Vein
|Piece of Candy Corn||Trick-or-Treat Bag (Halloween only)||Gift of Candy Corn|
| Bazaar of the Four Winds
Festival of the Four Winds
|Copper||Quartz Crystal Formation||Quartz Crystal|| Charged Quartz Crystal
Quartz Crystal x5
|Gift of Quartz|
|The Origins of Madness||Copper||Sprocket Generator||Watchwork Sprocket||Blade Shard||Gift of Sprockets|
There are several ways to increase the chance at extra resources when gathering.
|Gathering Booster Bonus|| Gathering Booster
Enchanted Reward Boost
|33%||Gain swiftness when gathering|
|Guild Gathering Boost||Guild Gathering Banner||10%||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Guild Gathering Banner Boost|| Guild Gathering and Swiftness Banner
Guild Heroes Banner
|15%||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|+10% Gathering Bonus for 48 Hours||Guild bonus||10%|
|Gatherer||World versus World bonus||2-20%||Temporary bonus based on world score|
- Gathering behaves like a skill that requires you to be within a certain range of a node; it can be interrupted by control effects.