An item refers to any object which can physically appear in a character's inventory. The definition can be extended to bundles, objects the player can find in the environment and interact with but cannot keep. This is supported by consumable items that give environmental weapons when used. This broad term therefore encompasses everything the player can carry, wield, wear, create or purchase.
Items can either be soulbound, account bound or not bound at all (unbound). Soulbound items may either bind on acquisition or bind on use (equipping the item for the first time). Unbound items may become account bound. Account bound items may become soulbound.
Information about an item can be sent into the current default chat channel, either by clicking the item while holding to send it instantly or to paste item info into chat. Other players can view the information by hovering over the "link" placed into chat.
In the past certain items were tied to the structured PvP system, and could only be used there. Likewise, items from regular gameplay couldn't be used in structured PvP. Meanwhile this separation between sPvP and PvE, WvW is outdated through a game feature update.
Players can obtain items in a variety of ways:
- Looting slain enemies.
- Opening various chests placed throughout the world.
- Gathering raw materials.
- Opening various container.
- Reward for completing a personal story mission.
- Reward for completing dungeons.
- Reward for map completion and world completion.
- Reward for a new rank in World versus World or Structured PvP through World Experience.
- Purchasing them from a vendor.
- Purchasing them from the Gem Store.
- From other players, received via mail or purchased from Trading Post.
Items can also be combined into a different item by:
New characters are provided with starting equipment when they first enter the game. Additionally, Hero's Band pre-purchase item and deluxe edition Golem Banker (consumable) items are sent via mail to any new character created on an eligible account. Miniature Rytlock, Tome of Influence and Chalice of Glory are sent only to the first character created on an eligible account.
Each item has a rarity which indicates the quality or nature of the base modifications available on the item.
Items that have been transmuted will show "Transmuted" instead of a standard rarity designation. The color of the item's name usually matches that of the item used for the base stats during transmutation.
|Rarity name||Levels available1||Relative stats2|
- 1 Levels shown are for equipment — weapons, armor, and trinkets. Other items, like upgrade components, crafting materials, recipes etc, are often available with lower level requirements.
- 2 Also applies only to equipment and denotes the scaling of weapon strength, defense, and/or attributes between items of the same type and level. Actual numbers will differ slightly due to rounding and there are very small number of exceptions, i.e. items that do not follow the ratio.
- 3 There are a few craftable masterwork items with levels below 14, but this is generally the lower limit.
- 4 There are a few leveling equipment items (from level 18 upwards).
- 5 Legendary equipment will always have the same relative stats as the highest rarity available for the item type. Currently, the only legendary items available are weapons and backpacks and the highest available rarity of weapons/backpacks is ascended, so legendary items have 175% relative stats.
There are several broad types of items:
- Equipment - any item that a character can equip, including:
- Gathering tool - harvesting sickles, logging axes and mining picks of various qualities
- Bag - items that contain your inventory
- Upgrade component - items that can be placed in weapons (sigils), armors (runes), accessories (some jewels) or anything (some jewels, and other upgrade compontents) - these also sometimes serve as a crafting component
- Container - items that produce other items when used
- Consumable - items that are consumed (disappear) after being used
- Utility item
- Salvage Kit
- Recipe sheet
- Tonic and Hylek Potion
- PvP finisher
- Service - are consumed immediately upon receipt
- Transmutation Stone
- Items that grant bundle upon using
- Various other consumable items that aren't tied to any category - like Tome of Influence, Chalice of Glory, Black Lion Key, Instant Repair Canister, Revive Orb, Evon Gnashblade's Box o' Fun, Cow Finisher or letters
- Gizmo - items that activate something upon using, but are not consumed by doing this. Some gizmos can be time limited, like Golem Banker
- Crafting material - basic, fine and rare raw materials that can be used for crafting, most of them can be deposited as a material to bank
- Trophy - items with no direct use that can be sold for coin, are used to help with Hearts or dynamic events or are exchanged to something else
There are also story items that aren't stored directly in an inventory, but can be seen by accessing the story section in the Hero panel. They serve as a memento items reminding you what you've got during your personal story.
- When a character receives an item of Rare rarity or better, they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura|| Ooh...rare and valuable.
Quite a reward!
Now this is a find!
| Oh, I know of a good use for this!|
Statistically speaking, this is rather rare.
Oh! What a pleasant surprise!
That looks valuable.
You can never have too much treasure.
| Nothing like the spoils of war!|
Oh yeah, that's my loot!
And I deserve it, too.
|Human|| You can never have too much treasure.
That looks valuable.
| Aah... sweet, sweet loot!|
Mine. All mine!
|Norn|| Ah! Better than moot loot.
Sweet, sweet treasure.
It'll fetch a nice price!
| I...like it!|
A fitting reward!
The spoils of battle!
|Sylvari|| That's valuable!
You rarely see one of those.
| Rare treasure!|
Look at this! So pretty!
I want that.