Matrix Cube Key
Matrix Cube Key
A Matrix Cube Key on the ground.
— In-game description
The key spawns in random locations on the ground and will always be hidden, either obscured or covered. It will be topped with small green flames, although it can appear as a small lumpy rock or as a small obelisk. It looks similar to the chaos shards in the area, but smaller. The key will change locations or be unavailable at times. For instance, you may have to search the same set of bushes in the earth area repeatedly until you find the key.
Confirmed spawn locations
- Poison/Earth room (south east)
- Hidden inside the bushes. It has so far been spotted in at least 3 of the bushes.
- Up the first set of stairs, where the breeze riders start to spawn.
- Inside the bushes on the landing mid-way through the jumping puzzle.
- Ice room (south west)
- On the platform where the Veteran Ice Elemental spawns, half-way up the jumping puzzle. If the key spawns in this location, it will be readily visible, although the Ice Elementals on the platform may obscure it.
- Ground floor, in the center between the pillars under the jumping puzzle.
- In the far end of the room, between the pillars.
- Water room (north east)
- One out of two points along the north wall.
- Along the south wall at the top of the small staircase.
- On the path to the waterfall area, just below where the 2 large hexagons meet.
- Facing the confused Quaggan at the bottom near the water, in a small corner.
- In the East end of the room in between the wall and the bottom of the stairs
- Fire elemental room (north)
- In the Fire Elemental room, just east of the stairs to the bridge.
- Southeast end of the room, near the broken pillar.
- South side of the room, pretty much in plain view.
- Northeast end of the room, just behind a step.
- Waterfall area
- In a corner in the waterfall area, stream level, straight ahead upon leaving the reactor into the waterfall area. Directly north of the Displaced Quaggan.
- Next to the Displaced Quaggan.
- West of the Displaced Quaggan, in a crack next to the path that leads to the water room.
- Central area
- In the west of the center room behind the rubble, below some floating platform.
Using the key
After obtaining a Matrix Cube Key, the player must find the four Elemental Charger devices for each of Ice, Fire, Water and Earth.
- Earth: follow the jumping puzzle (along the edges of the room) in the Poison/Earth chamber. The charger is hidden in a bush on the topmost platform.
- Ice: follow a jumping puzzle that starts near the central core of the Ice chamber. The puzzle is made very difficult by being full of mobs that will push you off where you are standing. Stability is a must. Once you reach the central platform you have to jump around the back of the northern pillar.
- Water: at the end of the tunnel with the waterfall (underneath the bridge connecting to the Fire Elemental spawn), there is a hidden path to the left. You must destroy the chaos crystal covering the console, which spawns several Chromatic Oozes. Defeat the oozes to gain access to the Elemental Charger.
- Fire: inspect the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem after defeating the Fire Elemental. It disappears soon after the fight.
Once fully infused, the Matrix Cube Key can be used at the console in the center-most portion (the room with the blue haze) of the Thaumanova Reactor. Jump down into the no longer blocked hole in the ground to fight the Steam Ogre.
- Can spawn multiple keys in a row at a time. Has long periods where the key doesn't spawn at all (up to a few hours)
- The key does not have a nameplate when on the ground.
- You may only have one key in your inventory at a time. If you want to collect more, you must put other keys in your bank. You can place more than one key in your inventory from your bank. Once you have three of the charges on the keys, you can then stack them in your inventory.
- The key will not charge if your inventory is full; you must have at least one empty slot.
- The Matrix Cube Key is consumed when the event is triggered; any key in inventory will be destroyed if that player enters the event area.
- The Matrix Cube Key isn't instanced and it appears in the same place for all players - one player picking it up will cause it to disappear for all players.
- The key can only be used once every 20-30 minutes. So if it doesn't work, wait a minute or two.
- It is possible to miss the fire charge if the player dies during the Fire Elemental battle.