Retaliation is a boon that damages anyone who hits the affected target. The attacker will not be damaged if the attack fails to hit. Retaliation does not reduce or prevent damage taken.“
Reflect incoming damage back to its source; stacks duration.
— In-game description
Damage dealt depends on the level and power of the retaliation's source (i.e. whoever gave retaliation to the entity being attacked). Retaliation will stack in duration up to a maximum of 5 times.
In PvP and WvW, retaliation damage is reduced by roughly 33.33% and calculated with this formula:
- See also: Boon#Related skills
Weapon skills that grant retaliation
Utility skills that grant retaliation
- "Save Yourselves!"
- Signet of Judgment
- "Stand Your Ground!"
- Hallowed Ground
- Soothing Stone
- Imminent Threat
- Elixir B
- Signet of Inspiration (randomly)
- Pain Inverter
- Prayer to Lyssa (randomly)
Elite Skills that grant retaliation
Profession mechanics that grant retaliation
- Toss Elixir B (tool belt skill from Elixir B, randomly between fury, might, retaliation and swiftness)
- Consume Plasma (Thief Steal skill, stolen from mesmers)
- Consume Plasma (From Plasma found by Forage (siamoth))
- Primary article: Conditions#Skills that convert conditions into boons
- See also: Boon#Related traits
Traits that grant retaliation
Traits that improve retaliation
- Primary article: Conditions#Traits that convert conditions into boons
Effects that grant retaliation
- The boon's visual effect is an illusionary crystalline, wing-shaped shield on the player's left arm.
- The damage from this effect cannot critically strike.
- When retaliation is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||Feedback loop initiated.||Go ahead, hit me!|
|Charr||Go ahead and hit me!||Retaliation incoming!|
|Human||Go ahead, hit me!||Pain for pain!|
|Norn||I'll return the favor!||Come on, hit me! I'll hit back.|
|Sylvari||I dare you, hit me.||This rose has thorns, and here they are!|
|October 18, 2016||
|July 26, 2016||
|June 23, 2015|| Specialization update:
|April 30, 2013||
|October 22, 2012||
|September 17, 2012||
|August 28, 2012|| Game release:
- The effect for using a blast finisher in a light field was changed from AoE retaliation to an AoE condition clear in the February 22nd, 2017 update.
- Prior to October 22nd, 2012 update, retaliation had an effect monitor icon resembling that of a starburst.