Skarti Knutsson is the eldest son of Knut Whitebear and Gaerta Whitebear. He founded the Wolfborn, and currently leads them alongside his younger brother, Sigfast. His homestead is used as an unofficial headquarters for the Wolfborn, which has been growing over the years.
Skarti was born as the eldest son of Knut Whitebear and Gaerta Whitebear. He, his younger brother Sigfast, Ingrid Wolfsdottir and about a dozen other norn worked together as a group in their youth, arrogantly believing they knew everything there was to know. As the years went by, however, they matured and grew alongside Hoelbrak itself as more norn moved into the great settlement. Their close-knit group gradually turned into peacekeepers around the settlement, and they accepted in new members as their workload grew, forming the Wolfborn led by Skarti and Sigfast.
When Skarti founded the Wolfborn, Isvar laid a wreath at his door to apologize for a past deed. Isvar had called Skarti's father Knut an unflattering name, and he used this old ritual to earn Skarti's forgiveness. Skarti took the wreath inside, indicating that he accepted the apology and that the issue had been dropped. The next day, he invited Isvar to join the Wolfborn, and the two norn have been friends ever since.
Skarti eventually participated in the Great Hunt and witnessed one of the norn participants defeat the great ice wurm Issormir and earn the title Slayer of Issormir. During this time, rumors began spreading that Skarti was torn between Knut and Sigfast over something secretive. When talking with the Slayer, Skarti revealed that Sigfast had been hearing more rumblings around Hoelbrak about the Whitebears being too cowardly because they had chosen to wait for a hero to break the Elder Dragon Jormag's tooth instead of going off to fight the Ice Dragon. According to Skarti's explanation, Sigfast wanted to silence that talk before the norn became divided over the matter whereas Skarti believed it was just harmless talk from too much ale. Although he viewed his brother as both brave and loyal, Skarti could not help but admit that some of Sigfast's ideas were not to his liking.
Later that year, news spread to Hoelbrak about dredge attacking the Durmand Priory facility of Scholar's Cleft and slaying a Vigil patrol, leaving behind bodies with strange wounds. Priory, Vigil and Order of Whispers representatives were arguing about what approach to take and asked for someone unaffiliated with the three orders to provide them with an outsider's view. Knut Whitebear knew the Wolfborn had to remain neutral in the matter in order to not favor one of the three orders over the others, so he sent Skarti to ask Eir Stegalkin to represent the norn side to the orders. Eir refused, however, as she believed her time as a hero had ended after her failed attempt to defeat the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik, and she instead suggested the Slayer to act as the norn representative in her stead. The Slayer helped the orders defeat the dredge, which Skarti would eventually learn.
- Defeat the invading Awakened (30) [Group Event]
- If norn
- Ah, friend. Good to see you. Tell me, how do the Spirits find you today?
Favored, as always. How are things in
- The Sons of Svanir are always around and the dredge south and east of here linger like a bad cough. Still, we're in good spirits, especially my brother.
What's he up to these days?
- My brother...a good man. Sigfast is as brave and loyal as Wolf himself, but he has ideas that...bah.
- Something's conflicting you. Trust me and tell me, friend. (same as below)
Speak your mind. I'd be honored to give you counsel.
- Sigfast has been hearing more rumblings around Hoelbrak, saying we are too cowardly because we choose to wait for a hero to break the tooth instead of going off to fight now.
What do you think?
- He thinks we should silence that talk or our people will become divided. I think it's just harmless talk from too much ale.
- Let's hope it's the ale talking. Take care.
- I see.
- I'll leave you be.
- I'll tell you when I find them. I'm just passing through.
- If not norn
- Welcome to Hoelbrak. I am Skarti, son of Knut Whitebear. Know that while you are here, I will make sure you are safe.
That's a bold claim. How are you going to manage that?
- I lead the Wolfborn. And the Wolfborn will make sure that if anyone brings harm on you, harm will fall on them!
Sounds like a violent organization.
- We're no gang of brutes. We just look to keep peace in our settlement. You would do the same in your home, right?
And I'm guessing if I act up, the Wolfborn will stop me.
- Looks like Raven gave you wisdom, friend. That's correct. Make your stay a peaceful one, and you won't even know we're here.
- Yeah, I get it. Good-bye.
- Thanks. Good-bye.
- I can look after myself. Thanks.
- Skarti wears Wolf armor, without the helm.