I want nothing more than to put my lawless days behind me.
Canach is a secondborn sylvari who has been involved in both seasons of the Living Story, initially as a Consortium mercenary, arrested for his actions in Southsun Cove and imprisoned in Vigil Keep, and more recently as an operative for Countess Anise.
Canach was hired by the Consortium in 1325 AE to map, explore, and begin construction of settlements and tourist facilities at the newly-discovered Southsun Cove. Although his contract prevented him from exploiting animal, mineral, or magical sources on the island, it did not mention local flora, and Canach ordered his team to collect samples of Passion Flowers as they explored. For reasons not yet fully understood, this provoked the local karka, who followed the fleeing survivors of the expedition back to Lion's Arch, where they attacked and destroyed Lion's Gate. Blamed by the authorities for his role, Canach was apprehended in Garrenhoff by the Lionguard. To avoid punishment, he offered to help fight the Ancient Karka, but fled at the first opportunity.
Facing life as a fugitive and the freelance "decomissioning" team sent by the Consortium's Subdirector Noll, Canach made a concerted effort to change. He cast himself as a champion of the weak, and, to prove it, sought out and destroyed a Molten Alliance weapons facility. Intending to get even with Noll and liberate the refugees from the Molten Alliance who had been tricked into Consortium settlement contracts on the Southsun Cove, Canach headed back to the island and spread a toxin that aggravated the local wildlife. The civil unrest induced there attracted the attention of a Lionguard inspector, Ellen Kiel, who tracked down the sylvari, arrested him, and jailed him at Fort Marriner, before he could destroy any more evidence of Consortium wrongdoing.
During Scarlet's attack on the city, Canach was moved from his cell and incarcerated at Vigil Keep. Shortly afterward, an unnamed official from Divinity's Reach offered to buy his release and the sylvari left the keep around the time that Mordrem invaded the Iron Marches. During The Dragon's Reach: Part 2, the player discovers that Canach has been working for Countess Anise. During Party Politics, she uses him to distract guests from her clone, leaving her free to eavesdrop. Anise takes the sylvari with her to The World Summit, teasing him mercilessly, much to his annoyance. After the attack on the summit by the Shadow of the Dragon, Anise ordered Canach to join the Pact in Fort Trinity to learn more about their plans about Mordremoth.
- Kessex Hills
- Lion's Arch
- Gendarran Fields
- Southsun Cove
- Living World Season 1
- Living World Season 2
- Controls Mines
- Unshakable - Gains defiance when targeted by crowd-control skills. Blind is 10% as effective. Weakness and vulnerability last 50% less time.
For previous dialogue, see here.
- Hey. Big news. I'm getting out of the cage. I'm going to be a Shining Blade flunky. No complaints, mind you. My guess is they're fed fairly well.
Might give you some insight into how the other side works.
- I suppose you're referring to the law-abiding side. Well, we could all benefit from that, couldn't we?
I'm going to be traveling westward.
- There's some wild country out there. Wish I could go with you. That's just the kind of adventure I love. Some other time, perhaps.
- We'll stay in touch.
- I see.
- I see.
- At Dragon's Stand (Heart of Thorns) before completing Hearts and Minds
- I've spent much of my life hating the firstborn, always being compared to them. In our mother's eyes, Trahearne was perfect and none of us could live up to him. But now...
Your opinion has changed?
- With Mordremoth pounding against my willpower, I'm barely holding on. And yet, Trahearne...he flew his airship straight at it. I can only admire him now. We must find him.
Don't worry. We won't abandon him.
- I worry that it's already too late. Mordremoth wil have its hooks in Trahearne's body and mind much deeper than it will in Zojja and Logan. Its what we sylvari were designed for.
- We'll find a way. We...have to.
For previous quotes, see here.
- On approach
- Greetings. Care to help me pass the time?
- Upon interacting
- Hello again. It's good to see a familiar face. Got time to talk?
- State your business and let me get on with mine.
- I'm sorry, but I don't do small talk.
- Don't bother me. I'm thinking
- My fighting skills are for hire, but I'm selective about my employers.
- End interaction
- Thank you for your time. I hope to see you again.
Canach's appearance before the story of Heart of Thorns.
- Concept art
Concept art by Jamie Ro.
- Canach is voiced by John DiMaggio.