The Dream is a nightmare. See the world for what it is—episodes of pain ending in untimely death.
Grand Duchess Faolain is a sylvari firstborn of the Cycle of Dusk. She is the current leader of the Nightmare Court, having succeeded its founder Cadeyrn at an unknown time. Faolain emerged from the Pale Tree with Caithe. Faolain had been all about questions, and Caithe had been all about answers. They were dear to each other and set out together to explore the world. But Caithe's spirit had grown straight and true like a young tree while Faolain's had grown twisted like a poison-ivy vine. When the pair encountered a great darkness, Caithe pulled back from it, while Faolain embraced it. The two have been separated since, but the Grand Duchess has vowed that Caithe will return to her in time, and so often shadows her beloved, armed with pleas and temptations.
In 1319 AE, Faolain followed Caithe to a burning village that had been overrun by Destroyers. There, she performed a dark ritual involving blood magic to poison Caithe. As Caithe fought the Nightmare, the poison spread, leaving her no choice but to join Faolain, or die. As Destiny's Edge grew in fame, Faolain stalked the group, attempting to bring Caithe into the fold. Meanwhile, the Nightmare Court noticed the dragon champion Glint preparing for the awakening of its master, Kralkatorrik. Caithe begged Faolain to take the poison from her so that she could fight the dragon, and Faolain acquiesced, taking the corruption into herself and rotting her hand. During this time, she was described as having black leafy hair, eyes, and nails; being a dark contrast to Caithe.
In 1325 AE, Caithe headed to the Nightmare Court lair to investigate the kidnapping of local sylvari. She attempted to bring Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone with her, but the two would not cooperate for long enough to get anything done. Without their help, she was still able to put an end to Faolain's plans, driving her out of the Twilight Arbor. With her departure, several prominent courtiers have begun competing for control of the Arbor.
In 1328 AE she was captured by Mordremoth along with other Nightmare Courtiers. She was imprisoned in a cage along with Eir Stegalkin. After being freed by the Pact Commander, Eir and Faolain were hunted down by a powerful Mordrem Vinetooth, a newly created minion of Mordremoth. While fleeing, Faolain wounded Eir to try to get away safely herself, but was cornered by the Vinetooth and taken away after a seemingly fatal strike.
Shortly thereafter, it was revealed that she had "survived" and been converted into a powerful mordrem beast resembling the Vinetooth that took her. She reappears to antagonize the Pact Commander's team several times as they push their way to Mordremoth, before finally being slain at the Heart of Thorns in the heart of Dragon's Domain.
- Chapter 5: The Battle for Claw Island
- Episode 7: Seeds of Truth
- Episode 8: Point of No Return
In Twilight Arbor
- Resurrects Allies
- Resurrects Ally - Resurrects a fallen Destiny's Edge illusion.
- Rebuke - Knocks back all foes in a PBAoE radius.
- Stolen skills
In Bitter Harvest
- Corrupted by Mordremoth
- Maul - A 3-hit combination attack using both front claws.
- Lunge - A charge attack that does a large amount of damage which causes Knockback and Knockdown for 3 seconds.
- Enflame - Applies Enflame onto enemies, resulting in AoE tendril attacks following them.
- Stolen skills
|Thorny Seed Pouch||Container||Exotic||1|
- Concept art
- Faolain is voiced by Julianne Buescher.
- Faolain wears Nightmare Court armor, sans helm. During Seeds of Truth, she wears Dryad armor.
- Faolain is Gaelic and means "little wolf" which may be a reference to her personality.
- Faolain's rank changes between normal (A Light in the Darkness, Season 2, Bitter Harvest), champion (Twilight Arbor story, Prisoners of the Dragon), and legendary (Prized Possessions).