The karka (Levvi's Leviathanus Carcinus) are aquatic creatures from the depths of the Unending Ocean that have recently been forced onto the surface of Tyria by an Elder Dragon, after the defeat of Zhaitan by Pact forces. They settled onto Southsun Cove and the Ring of Fire, creating a large hive on the former volcanic island.
Karka are a deep-ocean crustacean race capable of creating extremely hard exterior shells. As the karka age, their shells harden, eventually becoming impenetrable. They are only vulnerable when they're hatchlings or when they shed their shells for larger ones as they grow. As karka are harmed, pieces of their armor get knocked off.
After their initial assault on Lion's Arch, Researcher Levvi, with the aid of her krewe and adventurers, developed an acidic solvent to help dissolve these hard shells in order for the Lionguard to counter-attack.
The karka are an ancient race who spent most of history in the ocean depths. According to Zommoros, they haven't been seen on the shores since ancient days when the world was "emptier" and the continents were shaped differently. The karka as a race have encountered the Elder Dragons before in the past, so they know the dangers they present, which gave them the knowledge to avoid Orr and the remaining risen when fleeing from the deep sea Elder Dragon.
When the Consortium investigated Southsun Cove in efforts to find a tropical vacation location, they unintentionally provoked the karka, and were mostly wiped out by them. The karka then tracked down the survivors who fled to the mainland, attacking Morgan's Spiral, Garenhoff, and Lion's Arch - making their presence known to the rest of Tyria. The Lionguard, led by Inspector Ellen Kiel, launched a counterattack and greatly diminished the karka's presence on Southsun Cove, killing the island's only known Ancient Karka in doing so.
Behaviour and ecology
The karka are hermaphroditic with every member of the species capable of laying eggs. Each karka hive is ruled by an Ancient with rank being determined in chronological order. The lower ranks of the the hive are divided into different roles such as guards, food gatherers and egg layers. If the ruling Ancient is destroyed the karka will lose their organisation until a new Ancient takes control.
- Ancient Karka
- Champion Crazed Karka Popper
- Champion Crazed Young Karka
- Champion Karka
- Champion Karka Hive Defender
- Crazed Karka Hatchling
- Crazed Karka Popper
- Crazed Young Karka
- Elite Crazed Karka Popper
- Elite Crazed Young Karka
- Elite Karka Hatchling
- Elite Young Karka
- Karka Hatchling
- Legendary Karka Queen
- Veteran Crazed Karka Popper
- Veteran Crazed Young Karka
- Veteran Karka
- Veteran Karka Egg Layer
- Veteran Young Karka
- Young Karka
- Princess is a karka hatchling that will eat Dragonite Ore.
- Karka Shell (crafting component)
- Arthropoda (longbow)
- Crustacea (shortbow)
- Sclerite Karka Shell (backpiece)
- Karka Helm (headgear skin)
- Endless Karka Tonic
- Potion of Young Karka Transformation (single-use potion)
- Minor, Major and Superior Sigils of Karka Slaying (3%, 5%, and 10% extra damage, respectively)
- Karka were added in The Lost Shores content update.
- The karka resemble the leviathans of Guild Wars Factions (not to be confused with the leviathans of Guild Wars 2).
- "Karka" is a Sanskrit name of the "Cancer" constellation.