The objective of Snowball Mayhem is to be the first team to achieve 500 points. Points are scored by retrieving Wintersday gifts and returning them to your base. Bonus points are scored by defeating other players with unique snowball fight skills.
Points are earned by killing players or by recovering the present.
Killing Enemies: Players will earn three points per kill, while their team gains five points.
Recovering Presents: Players will earn ten points per recovery, while their team gains 100 points.
Power-ups are scattered around the map and can be used to gain additional buffs.
- Damage Boost: Outgoing damage increased.
- Swiftness: Movement speed increased by 33%; stacks duration.
- Piercing Shots: Your snowballs travel through targets, allowing you to hit multiple foes.
- Skill Recharge: Your weapon skills recharge faster.
- Regeneration: Gain health every second; stacks duration.
Your weapon skills are determined by your choice of combat profession. You also have an additional utility skill that is based on your profession.
- Pick Profession: Supporter — Supporters keep allies alive and control areas with icy spells.
|1||Throw Snowball||¾||Throw a snowball at your target.|
|2||Healing Breeze||1¼||8||Heal allies in a cone in front of you, including yourself. Allies gain 5 seconds of regeneration.|
|3||Icy Ground||1||12||Coat the target area in ice, causing enemies to slip.|
|4||Ice Wall||1||25||Create an ice wall to block enemies and their snowballs.|
|5||Snowroll||1||30||Roll yourself into a ball of snow to knock your foes around.|
- Pick Profession: Heavy Gunner — Heavy Gunners give and take a lot of punishment. While your gun is drawn you will move slower, but will regenerate health and can't be knocked down.
|Draw Rifle||Draw your rifle and start fighting. Having your rifle drawn makes you move slower and regenerate health.|
|Fire Snowball||¾||Fire a snowball at your target.|
|Fire Snowball||¾||Fire a snowball at your target.|
|Fire Snowball||½||Fire a snowball at your target.|
|Powder Spray||2¼||6||Spray a cone of snow in front of you.|
|Jump Shot||¼||15||Blast the ground, damaging nearby foes and leaping to your target.|
|Overcharged Shot||18||Fire a giant snowball with enough force to knock back your target.|
|Defensive Bubble||2½||20||Create a dome around you that pushes foes back and reflects projectiles.|
- Pick Profession: Scout — Scouts excel at movement and quick strikes. They infiltrate and eliminate.
|Quick Shot||Throw a snowball at your target.|
|Evasive Shot||¼||4||Fire a quick shot in an evasive retreat.|
|Rapid Fire||2½||10||Fire multiple snowballs at your foe.|
|Sniper Shot||3¾||12||Fire a long range shot. The longer you charge the shot, the farther and faster it will fly.|
|Snowblind||1||20||Vanish in a flurry of snow, blinding nearby enemies.|
These skills appear in the 6th skill bar slot.
|Slingshot of Understanding||1½||45||Summon an arcane slingshot to aid you in battle.|
|Command||10||Command the Slingshot of Understanding to fire a barrage of snowballs on its target. This destroys the slingshot.|
|Vengeful Snowballs||45||Invoke snowballs to circle around you, damaging and chilling foes.|
|Rush||2||45||Knock your foe down with a headlong charge. Reflect snowballs while running.|
|Snowman Turret||1½||20||Build a snowman turret that throws snowballs at foes.|
|Detonate Snowman Turret||Detonate your snowman turret.|
|Snowball Trap||½||45||Set a trap that will launch a barrage of snowballs at your foe when triggered.|
|Ice Wurm Venom Trap||½||45||Set a trap that freezes enemies with ice wurm venom when triggered.|
|Summon Ice Elemental||1¼||45||Summon an ice elemental to help you fight.|
|Clone||1½||40||Summon a clone of yourself.|
|Frostmark||¾||45||Inscribe a mark that chills foes when triggered and chains to nearby foes.|
|7||Pick Profession: Supporter||Supporters keep allies alive and control areas with icy spells.|
|8||Pick Profession: Heavy Gunner||Heavy Gunners give and take a lot of punishment. While your gun is drawn you will move slower, but will regenerate health and can't be knocked down.|
|9||Pick Profession: Scout||Scouts excel at movement and quick strikes. They infiltrate and eliminate.|
|0||Return to Base||1¾||60||Return to your base to change profession.|
|1||Throw Snowball||¼||Throw a snowball at your target.|
|2||Icy Ground||½||10||Freeze the ground around youself.|
|3||Freeze Beam||3||10||Freeze your foe with a beam of energy.|
|4||Bandage||49¼||5||Call your allies for help. Restores health while you channel it.|
The following achievements are obtainable:
|Snowball Fight!||Winter's Presence||3|
| Claim victory in the Snowball Mayhem activity 3 times during Wintersday.
||Won 1 Rounds of Snowball Mayhem||1|
|Won 2 Rounds of Snowball Mayhem||1|
|Won 3 Rounds of Snowball Mayhem||1|
The following achievements were obtainable during Wintersday 2015:
|Snowball Mayhem Participant||A Very Merry Wintersday '15||3|
| Complete 30 rounds of Snowball Mayhem.Your hands must be freezing by now.
||30 Rounds Completed||3|
Tips and Tricks
- Supporter: If you just downed someone, activate Snowroll and repeatedly run over the downed enemy. The snowball does a lot of damage to downed players and can finish them off quickly.
- Supporter: A good strategy is to stick to your gift carrier and heal him with Healing Breeze, use Ice Wall behind him to block incoming fire and cast Icy Ground near him to keep enemies at bay.
- Heavy Gunner: A good strategy is to stick to your gift carrier and use Defensive Bubble to reflect incoming fire and Overcharged Shot to keep enemies at bay.
- Heavy Gunner: It is often a good idea to save Powder Spray until after you have you have downed a player, as it is the quickest and safest way to finish someone off. Even if you are interrupted, you will still do some damage.
- Scout: You can activate your Snowblind ability near the gift carrier of your team. This will stealth both you and the gift carrier for a few seconds and give you both swiftness.
- Scout: Scout is the quickest class and the easiest to get the gift. Just activate Snowblind at the start as this will give you swiftness. Then use that to get the swiftness power up. Once you reach the gift, use Snowblind again before picking the gift up.
- Scout: You can camp near the enemy base and if you see an enemy gift carrier coming, activate Sniper Shot as soon as the gift carrier is in range. In order to deal all of the damage Sniper Shot you need to hold down the key and wait for all the bars to fill before realeasing the key. If you get Sniper Shot channeled for the whole duration, this will hit the enemy for 80% of his HP. Activating Snowblind before Sniper Shot can help you channel it without being seen from enemies. This is an easy method to complete the Gift Stopper achievement.
- Thief/Ranger:Well placed traps can really help your team when returning a gift to your base. Try to set traps along the path that leads up to your base, as the gift carrier and the enemies chasing him will most likely follow that path and the enemies will have a much higher chance of detonating the traps.
- Warrior/Mesmer:Warriors and Mesmers can be very good gift carriers. The Warrior's Rush skill is a running skill and can be used to quickly cover distance or escape out of a sticky situation. The Mesmer's Clone skill can be used when carrying a gift, to trick your enemies into attacking your clones. The clones will be seen carrying a gift if Clone was used when the player had the gift.
- Warrior: Rush also makes Warriors extremely effective as Heavy Gunners. It helps compensate for your reduced movement speed, gives you a second way to reflect snowballs, and can be followed up with Powder Spray for a deadly combo attack.
- A good strategy is to use your defensive skills right before picking up the gift. If the skills have recharged and you are still carrying the gift, then drop the gift, quickly use a defensive skill and pick it up again. This is much better than simply running with the gift and taking free damage from your enemies. Knowing the cooldown of your skills is very important in doing this.
- You can also drop the gift and let an ally pick it up instead of you if you are crippled, chilled or have very little health left. Be careful not to drop the gift near a lot of enemies, as the enemy might pick it up before you do and steal it.
- Attacking the enemy gift carrier or staying close to an ally gift carrier to support him is the best thing to do. However, not every player of your team should be near the gift carrier. Leaving a scout to camp at the center of the map, where the new gift appears, is a very good tactic to quickly score a gift for your team.
- All damage and healing is based on a percentage of each character's maximum health, and as such, profession specific health and armor values make no difference.
- The only effective attributes from the equipped structured PvP amulet are Expertise and Concentration.
- Unlike Structured PvP, Volunteering to switch teams during Auto-Balance does not give an automatic win. (e.g. 1 Personalized gift instead of 3)
- In the original Guild Wars, Snowball Mayhem was known as Dwayna Vs Grenth