Soulbound is a binding mechanic that designates an item to be restricted to a character. Soulbound items cannot be placed on the Trading Post, mailed to another player, or placed in the inventory of another character. They can be stored in the account vault. An equipment item may also have a Soulbound on Use property, which means it can be moved freely between characters until equipped once, upon which it becomes soulbound.
The more lenient analog of the soulbound mechanic is Account Bound, where the item is restricted to an account. Account bound items still cannot be placed on the Trading Post or mailed, but may be passed to other characters within the account via the Account vault.
Some items are always Soulbound:
Items may also become Soulbound in several ways:
- Applying an upgrade to an item
- Damaging or breaking armor will soulbind it until it is repaired
- Equipping Masterwork, Rare or Exotic equipment (but not Ascended or Legendary equipment).
- Equipping items with an upgrade component already applied
- If you store the soulbound items in the bank and delete the character they are bound to, even if you recreate an identical character with the same name you will not be able to utilize the soulbound items.
- During the first BWE, items were known to lose their Soulbound status, usually by being repaired by an armor vendor after breaking.