From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
- Level rewards — 398 points
|Level||Hero Points Gained|
- Hero challenge — 904 points
- Heroics Notary — offers consumables to complete a random hero challenge
- Core Skills — unlock skills of a certain skill type. Fully unlocking all skills for a profession costs 98 points, although the cost of individual skills varies. Skills are unlocked in the following order:
- Healing skill - 2 points
- Utility skills - between 2 – 5 points, depending on tier and profession
- Elite skills - 9 points (except engineer, 8 points)
- Core Specialization — unlock traits for a specialization. Fully unlocking a core specialization costs 60 points, although the cost of individual traits varies based on the type and tier. Traits are unlocked in the following order:
- Adept minor - 2 points
- Adept major - 3 points
- Master minor - 4 points
- Master major - 5 points
- Grandmaster minor - 6 points
- Grandmaster major - 8 points
- Elite Specialization — unlock new skills, traits, weapon proficiency, and class mechanics. Fully unlocking an elite specialization costs 250 points and all core training lines must be complete. Each elite specialization has Specializations achievements for training it.
- Base unlock - 30 points
- Adept minor - 10 points
- Adept major - 10 points
- Master minor - 10 points
- Master major - 10 points
- Grandmaster minor - 10 points
- Grandmaster major - 10 points
- Skills - 15 points
- Elite skill - 25 points
- With the Hero points gained only from leveling a character to level 80 it is possible to unlock all core skills and traits entirely.
- It is possible to have excess Hero points after unlocking all core skills and traits with no way to spend them.
- Skill points were replaced with hero points:
- Unspent skill points earned through level rewards and skill challenges were converted to hero points.
- Any remaining unspent skill points were converted to Spirit Shards.
- Trait points were replaced with hero points:
- Trait guides or trait specific tasks are no longer required to unlock traits.
- When the patch hit, each character got automatic unlocks based on the skills and traits equipped before. Low level character often found themselves with more unlocks than hero points available at their level. In that case, they had a negative amount (even though the value displayed did not reflect it) and were barred from gaining Hero points on level up until they had gained back those missing points. They could still gain points through Hero challenges.
- Specializations, Part Two: Reward Tracks and Elite Specializations
- Ready Up: Specializations system overview on YouTube