Key farming is the process of repeatedly completing the level 10 personal story in order to obtain the final reward, a Black Lion Chest Key. These keys open Black Lion Chests, which in turn drop rewards such as Black Lion Claim Tickets.
Since September 15, 2015, only one key a week can be obtained this way: completing a character's level 10 personal story will award a Black Lion Chest Key, but make the account ineligible to receive further keys from level 10 story completion until weekly reset on Mondays at 07:30. Further keys may be earned from other sources at any time. Prior to the September update, it was possible to obtain several keys an hour using this method; however, due to the added time-gating, the popularity of key farming has fallen.
Humans have the fastest personal story. The most commonly used professions are elementalist, guardian, warrior or revenant.
Characters must be level 10 to begin the first personal story chapter. To reach level 10, players must gain experience through normal gameplay (dynamic events, killing foes, or map completion), consumables, crafting, or a combination of each.
Various consumable items can be earned on an account and saved for key farming by using each on the newly created character to quickly increase its level.
Increasing a crafting discipline level grants experience. Earning level 200 in a single crafting discipline will offer enough experience to reach level 10.
| Chef recommendations 
Commoner storyline — considered the quickest to complete.
- Personal story rewards
- Black Lion Chest Key
- Bag of Loot (11) — can be opened on other characters for higher level items
- Champion Loot Bag — can be opened on other characters for higher level items
- Level rewards
Characters will gain 2-3 levels in the process of completing their personal story.
- Level 12
- Level 18 (if using an Experience Scroll)
Repeating the process
- Once the final level 10 story mission has been completed, the character may be deleted and a new one created to repeat the farm (the next week, due to the weekly key farming limit). Many players will choose to have a dedicated character slot for key farming.
- Be sure to clear the character's inventory (selling items to vendors, salvaging for materials, or moving items to the account vault) before deleting the character to recover some resources used.
- If you accidentally run the 10 level story twice during the same weekend, do not accept the rewards. When you open the story reward after the weekly reset, the key will be there again.
- "Mighty" armor (level 10) — +24 power for a full set
- Shoulders are not obtainable at level 10; however, warriors and guardians may select a pair of shoulders during character creation for a minor armor bonus.
- Mad Memoires — a back item with an upgrade slot with higher stats.