Equipment acquisition by stats
- This article is about acquiring gear with specific prefixes or rarity. For naming conventions used in the game, see item nomenclature.
This article lists various methods of acquiring equipment, organized by the game-mechanical benefits the equipment provides. Because this can change with each release, the page will sometimes be out of date compared to the most recent game updates.
The bonuses granted by equipment fall into certain patterns. The size of bonuses are determined by an item's type, required level, and quality, while the precise effects are determined by an item's prefix and suffix. Although some items have specific rather than generic names, these will also follow the general patterns below.
- 1 Equipment categories
- 2 Acquisition methods
- 3 See also
- Primary article: Ascended equipment
The highest bonuses are granted by equipment of Ascended quality. All equipment that exists at this tier requires level 80.
Instead of an ordinary upgrade slot, ascended equipment has the stats that would normally be granted by an upgrade component "built in" to the basic item and instead has an infusion slot. The stats for the items "prefix" and "suffix" (upgrade component) does in most cases follow the normal triple attribute distributions. Due to their relative scarcity and complexity, these items are covered on a separate page.
Level 80 exotic equipment
Exotic equipment with a level requirement of 80 offers slightly lower stats than Ascended equipment but is more readily obtainable. The table below shows the available items types for each attribute combination and their general method of acquisition; see Acquisition methods for more details on each method.
Note that items acquired by crafting, the mystic forge, or as loot are generally not bound until equipped, and therefore can also be purchased from other players on the Trading Post. Items acquired through other methods are usually bound when acquired, and therefore cannot be traded with other players.
- crafting. See the Crafting section for more details. These items can be acquired by
- Mystic Forge. See Mystic Forge/Equipment for a list of equipment recipes available. Some of these items can be acquired in the
- Dungeon Armor and Weapons or acquired from dungeon PvP reward tracks. See the Dungeons section for more details. These items can be bought from
- karma vendors in Orr. See the Karma section for more details. These items can be bought from
- These items can be bought from Badge of Honor vendors in World versus World, Southsun Economists in Southsun Cove, and Guild Commendation traders. See the Other Merchants section for more details.
- monsters and opening chests. See the Loot section for more details. Some of these items can be obtained from defeating
- Other section for more details. Some of these items can be acquired through various other methods. See the
- ^ With the exception of breathing apparatuses and back items.
- ^ Though the exotic version of the Prototype Fractal Capacitors are level 80 exotic back items, they are not included in this table because they lack an upgrade slot, making them weaker than a lower-quality back item with an exotic jewel.
- ^ Jewels are used as upgrade components in trinkets; however, trinkets you buy or craft always have a jewel already slotted in.
- Primary article: Sigils
Sigils are specialized upgrade components that can only be placed in weapons. They do not follow the normal triple attribute distributions, but instead offer a variety of more specialized effects, generally related to attacking or killing. Due to their unique nature, they are covered on their own page; refer to pages on individual sigils for acquisition instructions.
The best known sigils are those whose names begin with "Superior", which are Exotic quality and level requirement of 60.
- Primary article: Runes
Runes are specialized upgrade components that can only be placed in armor. They do not follow the normal triple attribute distributions, but instead offer variable benefits depending on the number of runes of a particular type currently equipped, generally with attribute increases for the odd runes and more unusual effects for the even runes. Due to their unique nature, they are covered on their own page; refer to pages on individual runes for acquisition instructions.
The best known runes are those whose names begin with "Superior", which are Exotic quality and level requirement of 60.
Lower-Quality Back items
- Primary article: Back item
For some attribute combinations, neither ascended nor exotic back items exist, but other high-level options are available:
|Major||Minor||Prefix||Best Back Item||Quality||Source|
|Shaman's||Risen Spineguard||Rare||Loot (Arah, Fractals)|
- Primary article: Breathing apparatus
A breathing apparatus is a special piece of armor that replaces the helmet while underwater.
Universal upgrade components
Universal upgrade components are similar to jewels and follow the usual triple attribute distributions, but can be placed into any type of equipment with an upgrade slot (whereas jewels can only be placed in trinkets). However, there are no Exotic universal upgrades; the best options are only Rare gemstones and crests and offer lower bonuses than exotic jewels.
Many players don't use universal upgrades, instead filling their upgrade slots with the more specific sigils, runes, and jewels. However, universal upgrades still offer some options that cannot be replicated by other means.
Below is a table for level 80 Rare upgrade components. Tables for all upgrade components can be found here.
|of the Berserker||Ruby Orb|
|of the Soldier||Crest of the Soldier|
|of the Valkyrie||Beryl Orb|
|of the Knight||Emerald Orb|
|of the Rampager||Coral Orb|
| of the Assassin
of the Explorer
| Crest of the Assassin |
|of the Sentinel||Azurite Orb|
|of the Shaman||Crest of the Shaman|
|of the Carrion||Chrysocola Orb|
|of the Rabid||Crest of the Rabid|
|of the Cleric||Sapphire Orb|
|of the Magi||Crest of the Magi|
- ^ a b These are the primary acquisition methods; many recipes, insignias, inscriptions and jewels can also be bought from the trading post.
- ^ Some insignias, inscriptions and trinkets are craftable and require an activator to produce. Other insignias and inscriptions cannot be crafted but have a chance to be salvaged from equipment with the same attribute bonus, allowing players to craft other items with those attributes.
- ^ a b c d e f Recipes using this insignia or inscription require the "Oiled" variants of armor or weapon components crafted with Vials of Linseed Oil, such as Oiled Orichalcum Chestplate Padding or Oiled Ancient Staff Shaft, instead of the regular ones.
There are also several jeweler recipes that require a dungeon offering as a crafting ingredient, replacing the gemstone or jewel in the standard recipes. These recipes must be learned from a recipe sheet that only drops in the corresponding dungeon.
Most of these recipes provide attribute combinations that are otherwise unavailable from jeweler recipes. The only exception is Carrion, which is available as Chrysocola jewelry.
|Soldier's||Bloodstone Fragment||Arah||Nightmare Coil||Twilight Arbor||Shukov's Launch Codes||Sorrow's Embrace|
|Shaman's||The Zealot's Amulet||Honor of the Waves||Infinity Loop||Crucible of Eternity||Ashes of the Effigy||Citadel of Flame|
|Carrion||Eternal Flame||Citadel of Flame||Husk of the Destroyer||Sorrow's Embrace||Koda's Gift||Honor of the Waves|
|Rabid||Colossus Fang||Ascalonian Catacombs||Plague||Caudecus's Manor||Tortured Root||Twilight Arbor|
|Dire||Alpha Conduit||Crucible of Eternity||Ring of Blood||Honor of the Waves||Vallog's Demise||Caudecus's Manor|
|Magi||The Replicator||Sorrow's Embrace||Claw of the Howling King||Ascalonian Catacombs||Operative's Creed||Arah|
- Recipes are known for various weapons and trinkets.
- Combining four rare or exotic weapons may produce a random exotic weapon (with a chance of a Legendary precursor—Berserker's stats).
- The Mystic Forge is also used to produce Legendary weapons, which allow their owners to select the stat set of the weapon while out of combat.
|Berserker's||Keeper Jonez Deadrun||Cathedral of Silence|
|Soldier's||Crusader Benson||The Narthex|
|Rampager's||Tactician Deathstrider||Cathedral of Glorious Victory|
|Rabid||Lightbringer Brutefur||Cathedral of Eternal Radiance|
|Cleric's||Historian Vermoth||Cathedral of Zephyrs|
|Magi||Lightbringer Surefoot||Cathedral of Verdance|
|Trinkets and back items|
|Soldier's||Keeper Jonez Deadrun||Cathedral of Silence|
|Cavalier's||Tactician Deathstrider||Cathedral of Glorious Victory|
|Rabid||Historian Vermoth||Cathedral of Zephyrs|
|Magi||Lightbringer Brutefur||Cathedral of Eternal Radiance|
Completing a dungeon in explorable mode awards currencies that can be used to purchase weapons and armor from the Dungeon Armor and Weapons merchant. The merchant offers 3 attribute combinations, and sells all types of weapons and armor for each of those combinations.
| Honor of
| The Ruined|
City of Arah
Various merchants in the World versus World areas will sell level 80 exotic equipment for a combination of coin and Badges of Honor. Warning: nearby merchants also sell exotic equipment that is not max level. Check the stats carefully before purchasing.
- Weapons and armor are available with Berserker's, Knight's, Carrion, Rabid, Cleric's, or "Invaders" (Soldier's) prefixes from the Weapon Master and Armor Master.
- Amulets, rings, and accessories are available with an "Invaders" prefix (Soldier's stats) from the Armor Master. Note that unlike typical crafted jewelry, these do not come pre-equipped with jewels.
Exotic armor and weapons with the Settler's prefix are available in Southsun Cove from Southsun Economists. Note that Southsun Economists only sell level 80 exotics so long as all four settlements have been secured.
Exotic guild backpacks with Berserker's, Soldier's, or Magi's stats can be purchased from the Guild commendation trader for 5 + 5 .
A variety of items can be obtained from defeating monsters and opening chests. Certain items are more likely to appear in certain locations. The chances of receiving rare loot from monsters can be increased with magic find.
|Rampager's||Bow of the Pale Stag||Norgu's||Aidan's||Koss'||Eternal Ice, Symbol of the Inquest|
|Carrion||Legionnaire, Tribal, Rockweed Spire||Ogden's||Shiro's||Brutus & Sheena's||Spineguard of the North||Sentinel's Bane|
|Rabid||Khilbron's||Vatlaaw's||Galrath's||Burntclaw's Brace||Signet of Grenth|| Breath of Kralkatorrik, Rotbeard's Treasure,|
Bone Fragments of Tequatl
|Dire||Ceremonial, Orrian||Jatoro's||Errol's||Yakkington's||Ghost Eater's Hide||Connie's Lost Wedding Ring||Fang of Tequatl|
|Cleric's||Droknar's Recurve Bow, Droknar's Short Bow||Mhenlo's||Zho's||Rurik's|
|Ancient Karka Shell||Accessory||Celestial||Lionscout Tynuli for 1000 Karka Shells. Also as a reward during the Lost Shores meta-event.|
| Sclerite Karka Shell
Sclerite Karka Shell (ascended)
|Back item|| Settler's
| Reward for completing one of the The Secret of Southsun achievements. |
After upgrading in the Mystic Forge.
|Fused Gauntlets||Gauntlets||Sentinel's||Flame and Frost meta achievement.|
|Mad King's armor||Armor set||Previously Traveler's||Pieces dropped during Halloween 2012, randomly or for completing certain events.|
| Aetherized Mantle
|Shoulder Armour||Cleric's||Reward for completing Not So Secret jumping puzzle during Sky Pirates of Tyria.|