A chest is an environmental object that gives coin, equipment, crafting materials, and upgrade components. They are located throughout Tyria and come in different shapes and sizes. Normal chests can be found in fairly easy to reach places.
Rewards chests such as Splendid Chests are more difficult to reach and provide greater rewards. Boss chests often provide the greatest rewards and spawn after the completion of epic meta events that involve many players. Most jumping puzzles have a chest at the end as a reward. Players of any level can open a chest, but can be interrupted if attacked.
Prefixed chests are much less common than normal chests and provide higher value loot and a greater number of items. They will often contain upgrade components. These chests typically act as rewards for a multitude of activities including meta events, jumping puzzles, Explorer achievements, dungeons and minidungeons, and so on. In general, these chests are found in harder to reach areas and specific requirements and provide greater rewards than normal chests. They also reset after a given amount of time, similar to their normal counterparts.
Not all chests are static chests the found throughout the world. Whenever killing a creature yields loot of at least rare quality, a small Wooden Chest appears on the ground instead of the sparkling creature's body. A chest containing the Skritt Burglar can randomly appear in a number of locations all over Tyria.
For a complete list of the types of chests that exist in Tyria, see Category:Chests.
 Boss chest
Boss chests provide up to 5 rewards of various quality. An example would be the Dragon Chest after the Shatterer and Tequatl the Sunless events. These contain one universal upgrade, jewels, and equipment.
 Bonus Chest
Completing any of the following events earns a bonus chest for participants; these chests appear in the lower-right corner of the UI and provide a single piece of equipment of at least rare quality at no more than five levels below the character's current level. The bonus item can be exotic or even a precursor weapon. You can only receive one bonus per event each day across your account and your character must be at least level 40.
- Several events spawn a huge chest, but are not officially considered as world events and do not produce a bonus chest:
- Kill the megadestroyer before it blows everyone up (66) [Group Event]
- Kill the Branded devourer queen (59) [Group Event]
- Defeat the Risen High Wizard and secure the Promenade of the Gods (80) [Group Event]
 See also
- Dungeon chests used to drop dungeon tokens until they were removed due to exploits.
- Daily chests with an increased drop rate in exotic and precursor weapons were introduced in the 26 February 2013 update. They included a guaranteed rare or better weapon that was moved to a Bonus Chest in the 26 March 2013 update.