Back items are a category of equipment.
Back items are a type of gear, sharing characteristics of both trinkets and armor. They provide the lowest magnitude of attribute bonuses out of all equipment types, only 65% of an equivalent (same level and rarity) boot, glove, or shoulder armor, the next-lowest equipment types, or 12% of an equivalent two-handed weapon.
- Armor mechanics
- Back items can be damaged or broken and must be repaired.
- They can be transmuted in the wardrobe, although some have no default skin.
- Trinket mechanics
- They can accept jewels as well as universal upgrades.
- Ascended versions can be infused.
- Back item gear slots are grouped with trinket slots in the Hero Panel.
Unlike most other equipment types, back items are not widely available as loot or on the Trading Post. A few varieties will drop with low frequency and only in some explorable-mode dungeons. However, back items may also be acquired from various vendors, as personal story and living story rewards, from using the Mystic Forge, and through crafting disciplines (starting at level 1).
- L80 requirement/Masterwork:
- Guild Armorer (coin)
- Guild commendation trader: exotic items sold for 5 plus 5 Guild Commendations
- BUY-4373 in Mistlock Observatory (1,350 Fractal Relics)
- Gem Store back piece covers come bundled with a white quality account-bound back item without stats.
- Karma vendors after the Temple events sell exotic versions for 42,000 per piece. See Spineguard.
- Ascalonian Catacombs: Ghostly Spineguard and Ghost Eater's Hide
- Caudecus's Manor: Bandit Spineguard, Spineguard of the North
- Twilight Arbor: Forest Brace and Arbor's Embrace
- Citadel of Flame: Charred Back Warmer
- Crucible of Eternity: Fiber Splice
- The Ruined City of Arah: Risen Spineguard
- Fractals of the Mists: Various back items
- Pvp Reward Tracks
- Halloween 2012:
- Wintersday 2012:
- Flame and Frost: Retribution
- Super Adventure Box
- The Secret of Southsun
- Dragon Bash
- Bazaar of the Four Winds
- Cutthroat Politics
- Super Adventure Box: Back to School
- Tequatl Rising
- Twilight Assault
- Escape From Lion's Arch
- Spinal Blade Pack, which can then be upgraded in the Mystic Forge successively into Twin Spinal Blades, Quad Spinal Blades, Advanced Spinal Blades, and Tempered Spinal Blades. The Tempered version, which is ascended level, could then be colorized with event items into, Dynamic Tempered Spinal Blades, Static Tempered Spinal Blades, or Synergetic Tempered Spinal Blades. The last 4 versions can be infused.
- The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Out of the Shadows
- Rising Flames
- A Crack in the Ice
All crafted back items are Account Bound.
The following Ascended back items require level 80 to equip and a rating of 500 to craft as an Armorsmith, Leatherworker or Tailor.
Ascended back items
- Primary article: Ascended back item
Infused back items
The stats of Infused equipment are identical to the corresponding Ascended piece, although the skin may change. The difference is that they have additional infusion slot. Most Ascended back items may be infused in the Mystic Forge.
Legendary back items
There are currently only two legendary back pieces: Ad Infinitum and The Ascension. These were both introduced in Heart of Thorns, though Ad Infinitum was not able to be completed until April 19th, 2016. The Ascension is obtained via PvP, whereas Ad Infinitum is obtained by doing various fractals and purchasing items with Fractal Relics from the Mistlock Observatory merchants.
- Levels 1-35
- Level 80
|Possible back items||Option 1||Option 2||Option 3||Option 4|
|Stats|| Elegant Crafter Backpack (Level 78)
Embellished Brilliant Jewel
| Rare Back Item
(No infusion slot)
| Exotic Back Item
(No infusion slot)
| Ascended Back Item|
No upgrade slot
| Relative Cost
- Before the 2013-02-26 game update, back items had an empty line instead of the "Back Item" entry in their descriptions.