Back slot
Back items share features with both armor and trinkets. Like armor, it can take damage after be defeated during combat, but it is placed in a trinket slot and can be upgraded with jewels. Some back item skins can be seen by other players and you can toggle their visibility through a check box in the hero panel.
Back items are available as rewards during the Personal Story. They can be purchased from specialty vendors, including Guild Armorers, BUY-4373, and temple vendors. They also drop in a variety of dungeons. They are also available from the Trading Post, although there is no easy way to search for them, since they do not appear under trinkets or armor. Instead, you can search for any of the following:
During character creation, Engineers can choose the Universal Multitool Pack as a starting item. Finally, you could earn themed back items during certain Living Story events, including Mad Memoires (Halloween 2012) and the Toymaker's Bag Wintersday 2012).
- Personal story
- No level requirement
- L80 requirement/Masterwork:
- Guild Armorer (coin)
- Guild Commendation Trader: exotic items sold for 5 plus 5 Guild Commendations
- BUY-4373 in Mistlock Observatory (1,350 Fractal Relics)
- Gem Store back piece covers come bundled with a white quality account-bound back item without stats.
- Karma vendors after the Temple events sell exotic versions for 42,000 per piece. There are five stat combinations available, depending on the temple: Soldier's, Cavalier, Rabid, Magi, and Wayfarer.
- Ascalonian Catacombs: Ghostly Spineguard and Ghost Eater's Hide
- Caudecus's Manor: Bandit Spineguard
- Twilight Arbor: Forest Brace and Arbor's Embrace
- Citadel of Flame: Charred Back Warmer
- Crucible of Eternity: Fiber Splice
- The Ruined City of Arah: Risen Spineguard
- Fractals of the Mists: Various back items
- Mystic Forge
- Various ascended back items
- Special events
- Halloween 2012:
- Wintersday 2012:
- Super Adventure Box
- The Secret of Southsun
- Back items can not be salvaged.
- The Halloween items and those from the level 33 quests only accept gems without any level requirement in their upgrade slot.
- Many back items have no visible models.
- The Fractals versions are exotic and can be upgraded to ascended in the Mystic Forge.
- Before the 2013-02-26 game update, back items had an empty line instead the "Back Item" entry in their descriptions.