Back slot
Back items share features with both armor and trinkets. Like armor, it can take damage after being defeated during combat, but it is placed in a trinket slot and can be upgraded with jewels. Some back item skins can be seen by other players and you can toggle their visibility through a check box in the hero panel.
Back items are available as rewards during the Personal Story. They can be purchased from specialty vendors, including Guild Armorers, BUY-4373, and temple vendors. They also drop in a variety of dungeons. They are also available from the Trading Post.
During character creation, Engineers can choose the Universal Multitool Pack as a starting item. Finally, you could earn themed back items during certain Living Story events, including Mad Memoires (Halloween 2012) and the Toymaker's Bag (Wintersday 2012).
- Trading Post
- There is no easy way to search for back items on the trading post, since they do not appear under trinkets or armor. Instead, search for any of the following:
- Personal story
- No level requirement
- L80 requirement/Masterwork:
- Guild Armorer (coin)
- Guild Commendation Trader: exotic items sold for 5 plus 5 Guild Commendations
- BUY-4373 in Mistlock Observatory (1,350 Fractal Relics)
- Gem Store back piece covers come bundled with a white quality account-bound back item without stats.
- Karma vendors after the Temple events sell exotic versions for 42,000 per piece. There are four stat combinations available, depending on the temple: Soldier, Cavalier, Rabid, and Magi.
- Ascalonian Catacombs: Ghostly Spineguard and Ghost Eater's Hide
- Caudecus's Manor: Bandit Spineguard
- Twilight Arbor: Forest Brace and Arbor's Embrace
- Citadel of Flame: Charred Back Warmer
- Crucible of Eternity: Fiber Splice
- The Ruined City of Arah: Risen Spineguard
- Fractals of the Mists: Various back items
- Mystic Forge
- Special events
- Halloween 2012:
- Wintersday 2012:
- Flame and Frost: Retribution
- Super Adventure Box
- The Secret of Southsun
- Dragon Bash
- Bazaar of the Four Winds
- Cutthroat Politics
- Super Adventure Box: Back to School
- Tequatl Rising
- Twilight Assault
- The Halloween items and those from the level 33 quests only accept gems without any level requirement in their upgrade slot.
- Many back items have no visible models.
- The Fractals versions are exotic and can be upgraded to ascended in the Mystic Forge.
 See also
- Before the 2013-02-26 game update, back items had an empty line instead of the "Back Item" entry in their descriptions.