Unique is a property of certain items that prevents you from equipping multiple copies of that item at one time.
Normally, if you obtain two identical items, and you have two appropriate equipment slots, you can equip both. For instance, Koda's Gift is not unique, so you can equip both at once in your two accessory slots. However, with unique items, you can only equip one copy at once. For instance, if you obtain 2 Ancient Karka Shells, any given character can only equip one of them at once. Each Ancient Karka Shell only takes up one accessory slot, and the second slot can be used to equip a different accessory, but not a second Ancient Karka Shell. It would be possible to equip a Charged Quartz Orichalcum Earring as the second accessory, which still has Celestial attributes.
Again, this does not prevent you from equipping two items with equivalent stats, even if both items are unique. For instance, you can equip both a Magister's Field Journal and an Althea's Ashes, even though they are functionally equivalent with Berserker attributes and the unique property. Most ascended rings and accessories are marked as unique, with at least one other trinket existing with the exact same attributes. The unique property primarily serves to make utilizing trinkets of both the same slot and prefix more difficult, particularly in the case where the trinket's prefix is selectable.
An attuned or infused variant of an item counts as a different item for purpose of uniqueness. However, items with different upgrade components still count as the same. (Note: inserting an infusion is not the same as infusing an item, and will fail to "bypass" the unique property.)
- Uniqueness has no impact on inventory storage or non-simultaneous usage. A character can have two or more Sparking Petrified Woods of different prefixes, with the intention of only having one equipped at a time.
- Uniqueness does not imply that you can only get one of an item. In most cases, you can obtain multiple copies of the item — but again, multiple copies still can't be used by the same character at the same time.
- Can be equipped together
- A Ring of Red Death and a Crystalline Band — they are different items, even though they are both Berserker stats.
- A Sparking Petrified Wood and a Black Ice Earring — even if you select the same prefix for both items.
- A Ring of Red Death and a Ring of Red Death (Infused) — these are considered different items.
- A Ring of Red Death (Infused) and an Attuned Ring of Red Death — again, these are different items.
- Cannot be equipped together
- Two Pollas, even though you have two accessory slots.
- Two Sparking Petrified Woods, even though you might select different prefixes for each accessory.
- A Ring of Red Death with an empty infusion slot, and a Ring of Red Death with a Versatile Simple Infusion slotted — they are the same item, regardless of the slotted upgrade.
- Uniqueness is mostly associated with ascended rarity, but there are non-unique ascended items, and unique non-ascended items.
- Certain trophies and other non-equipment have the unique property, even though it has no impact on their functionality. Similarly, the unique property has no effect on back equipment and amulets, because only one of each type can be equipped anyway.
- The technical implementation is that no two unique items with the same item id may be equipped. This is why inserting upgrades makes no difference, but infusing or attuning a ring does.
- Historically, ascended rings and accessories with equivalent stats had different types of infusion slots (offensive vs defensive), and so were not quite equivalent. All infusion slots were unified on July 26, 2016, eliminating that distinction and making these items exactly equivalent.
List of unique equipment
Almost all ascended trinkets are Unique, except for the following items:
- Assaulter's Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Assaulter's Energized Loop (Infused)
- Assaulter's Woven Band (Infused)
- Attuned Assaulter's Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Attuned Assaulter's Energized Loop (Infused)
- Attuned Assaulter's Woven Band (Infused)
- Attuned Defender's Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Attuned Defender's Energized Loop (Infused)
- Attuned Defender's Woven Band (Infused)
- Attuned Healer's Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Attuned Healer's Energized Loop (Infused)
- Attuned Healer's Woven Band (Infused)
- Attuned Malicious Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Attuned Malicious Energized Loop (Infused)
- Attuned Malicious Woven Band (Infused)
- Attuned Mist Band (Infused)
- Berg's Token
- Defender's Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Defender's Energized Loop (Infused)
- Defender's Woven Band (Infused)
- Hardened Keep Fragment
- Healer's Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Healer's Energized Loop (Infused)
- Healer's Woven Band (Infused)
- Jagged Keep Fragment
- Malicious Besieger Ring (Infused)
- Malicious Energized Loop (Infused)
- Malicious Woven Band (Infused)
- Mist Band (Infused)
- Mist Pendant
Some non-ascended trinkets are Unique:
Many, but not all, ascended and legendary backpacks are Unique, but this has no impact on their use because you can only equip one back item at a time anyway.
- Bag of Spirit Shards
- Birthday Blaster
- Bundle of Children's Toys
- Destroyed Matrix Cube Key
- Exalted Portal Stone
- Frozen Fish
- Gift of Magnanimity
- Holographic Communicator
- Huge Bag of Spirit Shards
- Large Bag of Spirit Shards
- Matrix Cube Key
- Moa Meat
- Ominous Portent
- Scrap Metal
- Scroll of Knowledge
- Scroll of Knowledge
- Small Bag of Spirit Shards
- Stone Dwarf Thumb
- Svanir Disguise: Chest
- Svanir Disguise: Helm
- Svanir Disguise: Legs
- The Shining Blade Manual
- Wiley Pirate Paper Scraps