To salvage an item, double-click on a salvage kit, then click on the item to be salvaged. If the item stacks, such as salvage items, you can repeatedly salvage items from the stack. Alternatively, right-clicking the salvage kit allows it to automatically salvage items of Fine rarity or lower, Masterwork rarity or lower, or Rare rarity, starting at the top of your inventory. Higher quality kits have a greater chance to receive a higher-tier crafting material than normal. Items can also be salvaged for their upgrade component. Higher quality kits also give a greater chance to recover the component while salvaging an item. Players will always receive a common crafting material.
The level or tier of the crafting material received from salvaging depends on the level of the item. Salvage items will give crafting material appropriate for the level of the area from which they were obtained. Globs of Ectoplasm are special crafting materials that have a chance to be obtained from salvaging rare and exotic items in addition to normal crafting materials and upgrade components. Items with a level requirement of 68 or above are substantially more likely to yield Ectoplasm, and higher quality kits yield more on average.
What can be salvaged
Three types of items can be salvaged:
- Equipment — weapons, armor (including breathing apparatuses), back items, and trinkets
- Salvage items
These items cannot be salvaged
- Some starting equipment.
- Equipment bought with
- Items normally salvageable that are soulbound to a deleted character.
- By item type
- Light armor produces cloth scraps
- Medium armor produces leather scraps
- Heavy armor produces ore (but not Silver or Gold)
- Weapons can produce either ore (but not Silver or Gold) or logs, depending on weapon type. Most weapons can give material types used to craft that weapon type (i.e. a weapon crafted with only wood will only produce logs), but shields can produce logs, tridents and torches only produce logs, and warhorns only produce ore
- Trinkets produce ore (but not Iron)
- By item quality
- Fine or Masterwork items can produce Essences of Luck
- Rare items can produce Globs of Ectoplasm, with a substantially higher chance at a level requirement of 68 or higher.
- Exotic items can produce Globs of Ectoplasm and Globs of Dark Matter, with a substantially higher chance at a level requirement of 68 or higher. Exotic weapons and armor with non-craftable prefixes also have a chance to produce an inscription or insignia for that prefix.
- Ascended items can produce Balls of Dark Energy, Stabilizing Matrices, and other items unique to the equipment type.
- Salvage kits
Ascended equipment requires a special salvage kit for salvaging ascended equipment.
- Item-specific drops
- Ascended rings can be salvaged for 2-42 Stabilizing Matrix.
- All rings drop one stack of 2-5 (rarely 10, VERY rarely 20) Stabilizing Matrices. (average 4.0 - 44 items)
- If the ring is Attuned, it drops another stack of 1 (sometimes 2) Stabilizing Matrix. (average 1.1 - 44 items)
- If the ring is Infused, it drops another stack of 1-5 (rarely 10, VERY rarely 20) Stabilizing Matrices. (average 3.1 - 24 items)
- Ascended equipment excluding rings can be salvaged for Ball of Dark Energy.
- Salvaging items bought with Unbound Magic will award 500 Unbound Magic.
- Salvaging Raid specific drops like Assaulter's Sparking Vanquisher will additionally award 60 Magnetite Shards.
- Armor and weapons
- Ascended trinkets excluding rings
- Salvage rates