Glob of Ectoplasm
Glob of Ectoplasm
Glob of Ectoplasm, abbreviated ecto, is an exotic crafting material used in all high-level crafting excluding cooking. It is also a token used for purchasing ascended accessories from a laurel merchant. Unlike most crafting materials, ectos cannot be farmed or purchased directly, instead they are acquired from salvaging high level equipment. This makes the Glob of Ectoplasm one of the most heavily traded items on the Trading Post.“
— In-game description
Generally, salvaging rare or exotic equipment (armor, trinkets, and weapons) with a required level of 68 or higher yields between 0 and 3 Globs of Ectoplasm. While there have been reports of ecto being produced from items with a level below 68 or a lesser quality than rare, these exceptions are few and far between. See the talk page for further discussion.
Extensive testing suggests that the drop rate is affected by three factors:
- Level requirement: equipment rated at level 68 or higher have much higher yields than lower-level items.
- Item rarity: rare and exotic items are much more likely to produce ecto than items of lower quality.
- Kit quality: higher quality kits produce ecto at a higher rate. Controlled tests estimate that Master's and Mystic Salvage Kits yield 0.875 ecto/rare and Black Lion Salvage Kits about 1.25 ecto/rare:
Master's/Mystic Salvage Kit Quantity Chance 0 36.75% 1 47.00% 2 8.25% 3 8.00%
Globs of Ectoplasm can be salvaged into Piles of Crystalline Dust and Essences of Luck as follows:
And one of the following:
Salvage research can be found here.
- Armor recipes (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor)
- Weapon recipes (Weaponsmith, Huntsman, Artificer)
- Mystic Forge and Jeweler
- The June 11, 2013, game update made Globs of Ectoplasm salvageable into Piles of Crystalline Dust. The change was introduced to "help Globs of Ectoplasm maintain a strong value in the economy and lower the cost of Crystalline Dust."