The Volcanic Fractal is one of the Fractals of the Mists.
- Stop the grawl from completing their ritual.
Fractal stabilized. Depart when ready.
- Fractal Difficuly Scale: x
After the starting cutscene, enemy grawl waves will attack the party. Kill them off until they stop coming.
In order to proceed, the party will have to travel down a corridor. Unfortunately, flaming boulders roll down the same corridor. The boulders instantly kill players they roll over and leave flaming tracks that cause burning. There are several large alcoves to the side where players can rest up safe from the boulders. Speed boosts help catch the areas free of tracks and condition removal will take care of the burning.
- Champion Grawl Shaman
When you find the shaman, he will put on a shield. The shield makes the shaman invulnerable, however, it can be taken down by throwing flaming rocks that spawn on the ground at the shaman. Beware since the rocks spawn is preceded by a large AoE effect. A suggested strategy is to have one person pick up the rocks and fling them at his shield until it drops, and keep the other four on the veterans. You will want to knock them back and prevent them from killing the humans at the edge. Once his shield is down, the boss is easy to kill. It is advisable that the party kill any remaining veterans since they will start attacking for fairly high damage and may unexpectedly down players. The shaman may reapply his shield, however only one rock is needed to break it this time.
- Saving all the humans will cause a Magnificent Chest to spawn.
- Broken tracks
The party will now have to jump down broken railway tracks to reach the lake of lava, fighting off some enemy imps. Since all jumps are made from high to low, this should not pose much of a problem for the party.
The party may observe a skeleton with a hat near a chest about halfway, possibly a reference to Indiana Jones. This means they are on the right track - turn left at the skeleton and continue lower until you arrive on a platform with the boss.
- Legendary Grawl Shaman
The party should now face the same, albeit transformed, Grawl shaman. When you arrive on the platform a burning condition will take effect, which can be negated by moving around. Avoid walking into the lava surrounding the platform and beware the pools that are periodically filled with lava. The Grawl Shaman will often face a random group member and shoot an arrow towards them. If a player is hit by his arrow, a reversed fire-shield will be applied, making the player be affected by burning condition on himself and nearby friendly players. At fractal difficulty levels of 10 and higher, this is also how Agony is applied. The arrow can easily be dodged, or reversed back to the Shaman, and it is very important that you do so, to avoid Agony and to avoid spreading the burning condition to nearby allies. Every time the shaman loses 25% of its health, the shaman will put up a shield with a number of hits on it, and summon Lava Elemental Grubs. Attack the boss to take down his shield before he kills a villager, or he will partially heal. Using Immobilize or Cripple will give you more time to remove his shield before he reaches a villager. Also, using "multiple shot" skills for this occasion is recommended. Note that not all multi-hit skills tick the shield multiple times; for instance, the Guardian's Smite skill ticks the shield extremely rapidly, but the Engineer's grenades only tick once per volley. Once the shield is broken, it is advisable to clear out the Lava Elementals that spawn, since their damage adds up over time.
- Skills that reflect or absorb projectiles such as Wall of Reflection, Shield of the Avenger and Feedback, or Whirling Defense are very useful against the Grawl Shaman's arrows and the attacks of the Lava Elementals.
- The Lava Elemental Grubs can quickly overwhelm a group if they are not defeated quickly. A Guardian bearing a Greatsword can use Binding Blade at the center of the Lava Elemental Grubs and then use Pull to pull in all the elementals together at one place. The group can then use Reflect skills on top of the Lava Elemental Grubs to reflect back their attacks. The group can then follow up with AoE skills to quickly shut down the Elementals and proceed to the Boss.
- Champion Grawl Shaman
- Grawl Berserker
- Grawl Raider
- Grawl Shaman
- Lava Elemental
- Legendary Imbued Shaman
- Veteran Grawl Shaman
- Veteran Grawl Raider
- Veteran Vampire Bat
- Dessa Observation Mode: "Okay, reading a number of... Hey, what are they... Those grawl just threw those humans into the volcano! Get them!"
During fight with Champion Grawl Shaman:
- Champion Grawl Shaman: "Our god demands sacrifice!"
- Champion Grawl Shaman: "Don't falter! Our god will slay the intruders!"
- Champion Grawl Shaman: "Die!"
- Champion Grawl Shaman: "You can't break this magic. Our god will crush you all."
Upon defeating the shaman:
- Dessa Observation Mode: "There, that shaman's in the soup now. That should-wait. Reading a new fractal disturbance!"
During fight with Imbued Shaman:
- Villager: "I can't take this. Help!"
- Villager: "Help! Heeeelp!"
- Villager: "Help me! Oh, gods!"
Upon defeating Imbued Shaman:
- Dessa Observation Mode: "Ugh, grawl make my skin...crawl. (laughs) Sorry. This is no time for jokes. Just let me know when you're ready to depart."
- There is a possible reference to the movie "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in the form of a skeleton with Indiana Jones' hat next to a cart at the broken tracks.