Experience is awarded for doing different things in game:
- Participating in an event
- Killing creatures
- An exploration bonus is earned based on how long a creature has been alive in the world
- Progressing your personal story or living story
- Participating in instanced dungeons
- Participating in instanced fractals
- Reviving players, pets and NPCs
- Completing the map, which includes:
- Completing achievements
- Using a Tome of Knowledge gives a complete level, not moving the level bar.
There are several ways to increase the amount of experience earned from kills.
Retired items that are not available anymore, can still be used to further increase the total amount of bonus experience if the player still has the item.
|100% Experience Bonus||Improved Experience Booster||100%||Can only be acquired by combining the old Experience Boosters (fine), which are not available for purchase anymore|
|30% Experience Bonus||Laureate Experience Booster||30%||Replaced with Experience Booster (masterwork)|
- Theoretically, the maximum possible amount of bonus experience is currently +575% (account modifiers excluded). This includes the bonuses from Ember Bay Perseverance, Wisdom and retired consumables.
- If both the Killstreak Experience Booster and the Experience Booster are used at the same time, the Active Kill Streak! stacks gained per killed foe is doubled, but it's still capped at a total of 10 stacks.
- While the Experience Booster (fine) and the Experience Booster both grant 50% bonus experience and have the same icon, they are treated separately and can be used at the same time to get a combined bonus of 100%.
Experience gains are based upon percentages of the amount of experience to level. For example, a level 16 player completing a level 16 event with a gold reward gives 616 XP out of the 8790 XP needed to reach level 17 or roughly 7%. Likewise, a level 26 player completing a level 26 event with a gold reward gives 1043 of the 14900 XP needed to reach 27 which is also 7%. Thus as long as you are playing content designed for your level, leveling will progress at a somewhat constant rate. However, this is modified for the first fifteen levels. The actual experience required is less than the amount used in equations, with the difference starting large and gradually decreasing until it is completely phased out after level 15. The effect is to produce the leveling curve as described in the ArenaNet blog.
Experience gained is modified by the difference in the content level and your character level. This modifier begins with a base of 50% and scales linearly as the difficulty decreases. For example, a level 50 character completing a level 25 event will receive 52500 * .07 * .75 = 2757 XP. This does mean a high level character will receive more experience for the same content as a low-level character, but the percentage of a level gained is higher for the lower level character. For example, a level 25 character completing the same event will receive 14100 * .07 = 987 XP. While this is almost one third that of the level 50 character, it is 7% towards the next level compared to the 5.25% the level 50 receives.
The following are percentages used for various activities. Area levels are not stated directly but can be determined by the creatures, hearts, and events in the area, or subtracting one from the player's dynamic level.
|Standard||0.125% of the foe's level + bonus|
|Veteran (bronze frame) & Elite (silver frame)||0.25% of the foe's level + bonus|
|Champion (gold frame)||~0.45% of the foe's level + bonus[verification requested]|
|Storyline||27% of the storyline level|
|Dungeon (storyline)||70% of the character level|
|Dungeon (explorable)||70% of the character level|
|Success (gold)||7% of the event level|
|Success (silver)||85% of the gold reward|
|Success (bronze)||75% of the gold reward|
|Failure||Half of event success|
|Uncovering a new area||~1.05% of character level[verification requested]|
|Waypoint||~2.625% of character level[verification requested]|
|Point of Interest||~1.575% of character level[verification requested]|
|Vista||~1.575% of character level[verification requested]|
|City completion chest||10% of character level|
|Explorable completion chest||10% of character level|
|Harvesting||0.5% of the area level|
|Logging||0.15% of the area level per swing|
|Mining||0.15% of the area level per swing|
|Per Crafting Level (1-125)||1% of the character level|
|Per Crafting Level (126-250)||2% of the character level|
|Per Crafting Level (251-375)||3% of the character level|
|Per Crafting Level (376-500)||4% of the character level|
|Writ of Experience||5% of the character level|
|Tome of Knowledge||100% of the character level|
|Reviving a Player or NPC||0.25% of the area level|
The following is the table of experience needed to level. At level 80, your character ceases to level.
Total experience gain per level
When calculating experience rewards for the first fifteen levels, the following table is used instead: