The Borderlands are the launching point for many adventurers into The Mists. With a heavily fortified location that climbs all the way to the peak of a mountain, it can be a difficult place for enemies to assault and an excellent place for would-be heroes to get their first battle scars.
— In-game description
The Alpine Borderlands are two identical maps in World versus World (Green and Blue; Red is Desert Borderlands), with each map belonging to one of the participating worlds. Players on their own borderland spawn at the Citadel towards the north of the map; players from the other two worlds spawn in either the south-east or south-west corners of the map. Unless noted otherwise, the 2 Alpine Borderlands maps share identical features.
With the release of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, and since the 22 June 2016 update, the Alpine Borderlands are linked to the Green and the Blue teams, while the Desert Borderlands is linked to the Red team.
While the two borderlands maps are physically identical, the locations on them have different names. The table below shows the different names for each location.
- Defeat the veteran warg (80)
- Destroy the harpy veteran (80)
- Kill the veteran wurm (80)
- Eliminate the centaur threat (80)
- Remove the skritt threat from the area (80)
- Defeat the ghost veterans (80)
- Capture the camp (80)
- Defend the camp (80)
- Secure the keep (80)
- Defend the keep (80)
- Capture the tower (80)
- Defend the tower (80)
- Claim this land for your world (80)
- Defend this land for your world (80)
- Stop the enemy supply caravan (80)
- Defend your supply caravan (80)
- Capture the ruins for your realm! (80)
- Defend the ruins for your realm! (80)
- Group events
- Defeat the champion spider (80) [Group Event]
- Starter area (Enemy Borderlands)
- Arcane Eye Agent [Repairs]
- Armor Embosser [Guild Armorer]
- Armor Master [Armorsmith]
- Battle Historian [WvW Tournament Rewards]
- Battle Master [Weaponsmith]
- Black Lion Trader [Trading Post]
- Guild Master [Guild Registrar]
- Instructor [Tutorial]
- Karma Trader [Equipment Trader]
- Laurel merchant (WvW)
- Outfitter [Merchant]
- Siege Master [Siege Merchant]
- Traps and Tricks [Outfitter]
- Weapon Master [Weaponsmith]
- Weapon Embosser [Guild Weaponsmith]
- Champion Keep Lord
- Quartermaster (structure upgrades)
- Hired Merchants
- Hired Services
- Garrison (Keep services plus)
- Resource Camps
- Resource Nodes
- Ore Synthesizer
- Lumber Synthesizer
- Berry Synthesizer
- Vegetable Synthesizer
- Herb Synthesizer
All pets are located near the same Point of Interest within a particular Borderland.
- Blue Jellyfish
- In the water to the south-east of the POI
- At the southernmost central point, just south of the woods to the south of the POI.
- Behind the buildings, just south of the POI.
- River Drake
- On the shore, just south-east and south-west of the POI.
- In the water, south-west of the POI.
- Forest Spider
- In the woods, just south of the POI.
- Like elsewhere in WvW, NPCs in Citadels, Keeps, Towers and Resource Camps are friendly allies when on the same team, but otherwise are hostile enemies.
- The type of Skill Challenges on each of the borderlands are cycled. For example, the challenge south of the southernmost supply camp involves a commune in red borderlands, a consumable in blue borderlands, and a fight with an NPC in green borderlands.
- You may access services including Guild NPCs for free from anywhere in Tyria any time you're not in combat by entering your home borderland, accessing the desired services, then leaving the mists to return to your prior location. If you were previously in an instance, you will be returned to your location prior to entering the instance.
- Since the 22 June 2016 update, the Red Alpine Borderlands are no longer accessible. The red world instead uses a Desert Borderlands map.
- The borderlands used to have Quaggan weather node mercenary camps in a center lake until they were replaced by the Borderlands Bloodlust system in the September 17 2013 game update.
- After Beta Event Weekend 2 all titles such as ((Blue World)), ((Red World)) and ((Green World)) were re-titled to the server you were facing (e.g Sea of Sorrows Borderlands).
- World Completion used to require 100% exploration on all 3 alpine borderlands.