Currency describes the game's units of commerce that are used to pay for goods and services. The lower bar of the inventory panel displays a few of the types that do not take up inventory space: gems and coin. Other currencies can be seen by hovering over the lower bar, and clicking on it will bring up a window displaying all currencies and explaining what each is used for.
- Hero points are acquired through completing Hero Challenges, and are used to unlock skills and traits via Training.
- Supply is acquired through and used in WvW to build structure upgrades and siege weapons.
- See also: Wallet
- Gems are used to purchase items from the Gem Store; they can be purchased with real-world money and can be exchanged for coin through the Black Lion Trading Company's Currency exchange.
- Coins are the most common form of currency accepted by NPCs and are the basis for player trade. It can be obtained via loot or as rewards for completing events or completing achievements. It can be be stored in the wallet or in a guild-shared vault.
- Karma is used to purchase special items from designated NPCs; it is earned by participating in dynamic events, helping others with their personal storylines, or completing dungeons.
- Spirit Shards — Used by Miyani to maintain the Mystic Forge.
- Laurels are rewarded on certain days of the login rewards system. They can only be used at laurel merchants.
- Badges of Honor are earned by participating in World versus World or from achievement chests; they can be spent on equipment and siege weapons in WvW maps.
- Fractal Relics are acquired in Fractals of the Mists. They can be traded with BUY-4373 for 20 slot bags, ascended rings or exotic backpieces, among other items.
- Pristine Fractal Relics — Earned and spent in Fractals of the Mists Used to purchase ascended rings.
- Guild Commendations are earned for participating in guild missions and they can be traded with a guild commendation trader for various equipment, guild banners, siege weapons etc.
- Proof of Heroics are earned by ranking up in World versus World. They were originally tokens and are now stored in the Account Wallet and older token Proofs of Heroics can be converted into wallet currency by double-clicking on them. These can be redeemed at Heroics Notaries near the spawn locations on each map for hero points and superior siege.
- Geodes are earned by completing events in Dry Top. Accepted by vendors throughout the area. Can be traded for valuable items including recipes for foods, Nomad's gear, and ambrite weapons.
- Bandit Crests are earned by completing events in the Silverwastes. Accepted by vendors at Camp Resolve and at secured outposts. Can be traded for valuable items including Carapace armor and recipes for sinister gear.
- These currencies were added in the Heart of Thorns expansion and can be earned in Heart of Maguuma maps:
- Airship Parts are earned by completing events and opening Airship Cargoes in Verdant Brink. They can be exchanged with Itzel Mastery Vendors for valuable items including recipes for gear and foods, Bladed armor boxes and items for collections etc.
- Aurillium is earned by completing events in Auric Basin. It can be exchanged with Exalted Mastery Vendors for valuable items including recipes for gear and foods, and items for collections etc.
- Ley Line Crystals are earned by completing events in Tangled Depths. They can be exchanged with Nuhoch Mastery Vendors for valuable items including recipes for gear and foods, Chak weapons and items for collections etc.
- Provisioner Tokens are earned by trading in a rare level 80 crafted weapon or armor to Faction Provisioners in various zones in the Heart of Maguuma. They can be exchanged for goods such as the Gift of Craftsmanship and Bloodbound weapons.
- Raid currencies can be earned by making attempts at bosses and completing events in raids. They can be traded for Ascended armor and weapon boxes as well as various raid boss drops.
- Dungeon currencies can be earned in explorable mode dungeons and traded for dungeon weapons and armor.
- Ascalonian Tears from Ascalonian Catacombs.
- Seals of Beetletun from Caudecus's Manor.
- Deadly Blooms from Twilight Arbor.
- Manifestos of the Moletariate from Sorrow's Embrace.
- Flame Legion Charr Carvings from Citadel of Flame.
- Symbols of Koda from Honor of the Waves.
- Knowledge Crystals from Crucible of Eternity.
- Shards of Zhaitan from The Ruined City of Arah.
- WvW Tournament Claim Ticket — Earned by participating in World versus World tournaments. Traded for various rewards at a WvW Battle Historian.
- Guild currencies
- Aetherium This material is gained over time depending on how far you have the Guild Mine upgraded.
- Favor Used to research high-tier guild upgrades and boons; it is earned when players representing a guild participate in guild missions. A guild's accumulated guild merits can be seen via the guild panel.
- Influence Was once used to research guild upgrades and boons; it is normally earned when players representing a guild participate in events, PvP, and the personal story. A guild's accumulated influence can be seen via the guild panel.
- Guild Merits were once required to research high-tier guild upgrades and boons; it is earned when players representing a guild participate in guild missions. A guild's accumulated guild merits can be seen via the guild panel. This was replaced with Favor.
- Primary article: Token
Tokens are physical items that take up space in your inventory and are used to purchase items from certain vendors. Most Living World releases include one or more types of tokens that are only available as drops for a limited time. Permanent tokens include Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps that can be found in Black Lion Chests, and multi-use items, such as Karka Shells and Globs of Ectoplasm, used both as tokens and as crafting materials.
Cost versus Value
The wiki uses Cost and Value to mean two different things:
- Cost is the purchase price listed by vendors.
- Value is the amount of coin you receive when selling the item.
- Currencies cannot be directly converted to the others, with these exceptions:
- Tokens and other currencies can be indirectly converted to coin by using them to purchase items that can then be crafted, forged, or otherwise used to produce items that can be sold to vendors and/or on the trading post.
- Glory was once used to unlock skins for use in Structured PvP; it could only be obtained through participation in the Structured PvP game mode. With the rewards structure change in the April 2014 Feature Pack it was removed from the game.
- Skill points were once used mainly to unlock skills, but were also required to purchase items from Miyani. In the June 23, 2015 update they were replaced with Hero points and Spirit Shards, with unspent Skill points being converted to Spirit Shards.