Currency describes the game's units of commerce that are used to pay for goods and services. The lower left corner of the inventory panel displays a few of the types that do not take up inventory space: karma, laurels, and coin.
 Currency types
- Tradable currencies
- Coin is the most common form of currency accepted by NPCs and is the basis for player trade. It can be obtained via loot or as rewards for completing events or completing achievements. It can be stored with an individual character, in the bank, or in a guild-shared vault.
- Character currencies
- Karma is used to purchase special items from designated NPCs; it is earned by participating in dynamic events, helping others with their personal storylines, or completing dungeons.
- Skill points are used to unlock new skills and Miyani will take them in exchange for mystic items or recipes.
- Supply is acquired through and used in WvW to build structure upgrades and siege weapons.
- Account currencies
- Gems are used to purchase items from the Gem Store; they can be purchased with real-world money and can be exchanged for coin through the Black Lion Trading Company's Currency Exchange.
- Glory is used to unlock skins for use in Structured PvP; it can only be obtained through participation in the Structured PvP game mode.
- Laurels are earned by completing Daily and Monthly achievements. They can only be used at laurel merchants.
- Guild currencies
- Influence is used to research guild upgrades and boons; it is normally earned when players representing a guild participate in events, PvP, and personal storylines. A guild's accumulated influence can be seen via the guild panel ( ).
- Guild Merits are required to research high-tier guild upgrades and boons; it is earned when players representing a guild participate in guild missions. A guild's accumulated guild merits can be seen via the guild panel ( ).
- Primary article: Token
Tokens are physical items that take up space in your inventory, but are used like currency to purchase items from vendors. Tokens can be earned from many sources, including dungeons, guild missions, and world versus world.
 Cost versus Value
The wiki uses Cost and Value to mean two different things:
- Cost is the purchase price listed by vendors.
- Value is the amount of coin you receive when selling the item.
- Currencies cannot be directly converted to the others, with these exceptions:
- Tokens and other currencies, except for glory, can be indirectly converted to coin by using them to purchase items that can then be crafted, forged, or otherwise used to produce items that can be sold to vendors and/or on the trading post.