Black Lion Chest
Black Lion Chest
Contains up to four items including a seasonal item, a convenience item, and a progression item. Exclusive skins not available anywhere else can be found inside.
— In-game description
A Black Lion Chest is a container that, when used with a Black Lion Chest Key, usually yields three items. Many items within are also available in the Gem Store, though some rare items are exclusive to the chest, and a good portion of the items are Account Bound. Players are able to view the item(s) contained in a Black Lion Chest by right clicking on the Chest and selecting the Preview option.
When activated, a Black Lion Chest window opens that allows the player to combine a chest and a key.
- Rare drop from any open world foe.
Each Black Lion Chest contains three common items: a seasonal item (which is the first item listed below), one convenience item and one account progression item. In addition there is a chance at an uncommon, rare or super rare item which will appear as an additional fourth drop.
- The Evon Gnashblade Trick-or-Treat Bag (Guaranteed seasonal item)
- Bank Access Express
- Trading Post Express
- Merchant Express
- Teleport to Friend
- Black Lion Booster
- Mystic Forge Stone
- Transmutation Charge
- Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap
- Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
- Toy Miniature Egg
- Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
- Revive Orb
- Black Lion Claim Ticket
- Primer Package
- Mad King Dye Kit
- Mini Spooky Mounts Pack
- Jackal Pup Backpack
- Hydra Staff
- Fallen Balthazar Package
- Grasping Phantom Glider
- Self-Style Hair Kit
- Total Makeover Kit
- Endless Desert Mystery Tonic
- Orichalcum Mining Node
- Ghost Pepper Harvesting Node
- Golden Black Lion Chest Key (3)
- Permanent Avatar of Death Finisher
- Permanent Grave Finisher
- Improvised Axe Skin
- Improvised Dagger Skin
- Improvised Mace Skin
- Improvised Pistol Skin
- Improvised Scepter Skin
- Improvised Sword Skin
- Improvised Focus Skin
- Improvised Shield Skin
- Improvised Torch Skin
- Improvised Warhorn Skin
- Improvised Greatsword Skin
- Improvised Hammer Skin
- Improvised Longbow Skin
- Improvised Rifle Skin
- Improvised Short Bow Skin
- Improvised Staff Skin
Super rare drops
- Silly Scimitar Skin
- Bloody Prince Staff Skin
- Dead Stop Shield Skin
- Araneae Longbow Skin
- Chiroptophobia Greatsword Skin
- Chain Sword Skin
- Scythe Staff Skin
- Ghastly Grinning Shield Skin
- Grinning Gourd Rifle Skin
- Greatsaw Greatsword Skin
- Severed Dagger Skin
- Endless Repair Contract
- Permanent Hair Stylist Contract
- Permanent Bank Access Contract
- Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract
- Permanent Trading Post Express Contract
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the second slot.
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the third slot.
- Primary article: Black Lion Chest/historical
The various appearance of the Black Lion Chest window.
Appearance at the release of A Crack in the Ice.
Appearance at the release of Head of the Snake.
Appearance after the release of Flashpoint
Appearance after the release of One Path Ends
Appearance after the release of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire
- Drop rate research can be viewed here.
- Opening a chest previously yielded you with 1 , up until the 21 January 2014 update.
- If the chest would have granted you a Wardrobe Unlock account-bound upgrade you already possess you will be granted Black Lion Keys instead; as well as being prompted with the red message 'Duplicate, account-bound unlock detected. Item has been replaced with free keys.'
- Until the update on November 1, 2016, three non-seasonal items (such as Trick or Treat Bag or Lucky Envelopes) were guaranteed.
- Chest drop tables were often altered during major or seasonal releases, either by adding release-specific categories to the three drop spread or guaranteeing additional items on top of the existing drops.
- The window now shows the current seasonal item as well as the chest sometimes being a different color. Previously it was just a grey color with no other decorations.
- The LWS3 Episode 6 update removed Tomes of Knowledge and Unidentified Dyes from rotation. The Black Lion Booster and Mystic Forge Stones were added as Common Drops.
- The August 8, 2017 update added Black Lion Exclusive Chests as Rare Drops.
- The contents were first updated in the 25 September 2012 update, which added additional items and replaced random tonics with Mystery Tonics and its endless version.
- Self-Style Hair Kit and Total Makeover Kit were added as rare drops in the 3 December 2012 update.
- Prior to the June 3, 2014 update, chests were split into locked and unlocked items. Using a key converted the former into the latter which served as a container.
- Prior to the February 18, 2014 update, unlocked chests were soulbound on acquire. This patch saw this item made account bound at the request of players.
- The Permanent Hair Stylist Contract was added on 29 July 2014.
- Tradeable permanent finishers were added in the 29 September 2015 update. This patch also removed Metabolic Primer, Utility Primer, Large Guild Discovery, and Boost Enchantment Powder from the drop tables. The Metabolic Primer was re-introduced in the March 28, 2017 update as an Uncommon drop.