Black Lion Chest
Black Lion Chest
Contains up to four items including a seasonal item, a convenience item, and a progression item. Exclusive skins not available anywhere else can be found inside.
— In-game description
A Black Lion Chest is a container that, when used with a Black Lion Chest Key, usually yields three items. Many items within are also available in the Gem Store, though some rare items are exclusive to the chest, and a good portion of the items are account bound. Players are able to view the item(s) contained in a Black Lion Chest by right clicking on the Chest and selecting the Preview option.
When activated, a Black Lion Chest window opens that allows the player to combine a chest and a key.
- Rare drop from any open world foe.
Each Black Lion Chest contains three common items: a seasonal item (which is the first item listed below), one convenience item and one account progression item. In addition there is a chance at an uncommon, rare or super rare item which will appear as an additional fourth drop.
- Dab of Destabilized Ectoplasm
- Bank Access Express
- Trading Post Express
- Merchant Express
- Teleport to Friend
- Tome of Knowledge
- Unidentified Dye
- Transmutation Charge
- Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap
- Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
- Toy Miniature Egg
- Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
- Revive Orb
- Black Lion Claim Ticket
- Self-Style Hair Kit
- Total Makeover Kit
- Lion's Arch Survivors Dye Kit
- Metabolic Primer (3)
- Elemental Sword
- Endless Mystery Tonic[verification requested]
- Ancient Wood Logging Node
- Hard Wood Logging Node
- Permanent Cow Finisher
- Permanent Guild Flag Finisher
- Glittering Axe Skin
- Glittering Dagger Skin
- Glittering Mace Skin
- Glittering Pistol Skin
- Glittering Scepter Skin
- Glittering Sword Skin
- Glittering Focus Skin
- Glittering Shield Skin
- Glittering Torch Skin
- Glittering Warhorn Skin
- Glittering Greatsword Skin
- Glittering Hammer Skin
- Glittering Longbow Skin
- Glittering Rifle Skin
- Glittering Short Bow Skin
- Glittering Staff Skin
Super rare drops
- Endless Repair Contract
- Permanent Hair Stylist Contract
- Permanent Bank Access Contract
- Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract
- Permanent Trading Post Express Contract
- Spectral Axe Skin
- Spectral Dagger Skin
- Spectral Mace Skin
- Spectral Pistol Skin
- Spectral Scepter Skin
- Spectral Sword Skin
- Spectral Focus Skin
- Spectral Shield Skin
- Spectral Torch Skin
- Spectral Warhorn Skin
- Spectral Greatsword Skin
- Spectral Hammer Skin
- Spectral Longbow Skin
- Spectral Rifle Skin
- Spectral Short Bow Skin
- Spectral Staff Skin
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the second slot.
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the third slot.
- For all the items that are not currently available from this container, see Black Lion Chest/historical.
The various appearance of the Black Lion Chest window.
Appearance at the release of A Crack in the Ice.
- Drop rate research can be viewed here.
- Opening a chest previously yielded you with 1 , up until the 21 January 2014 update.
- If the chest would have granted you a Wardrobe Unlock account-bound upgrade you already possess you will be granted Black Lion Keys instead; as well as being prompted with the red message 'Duplicate, account-bound unlock detected. Item has been replaced with free keys.'
- Until the update on November 1, 2016, three non-seasonal items (such as Trick or Treat Bag or Lucky Envelopes) were guaranteed.
- Chest drop tables were often altered during major or seasonal releases, either by adding release-specific categories to the three drop spread or guaranteeing additional items on top of the existing drops.
- The window now shows the current seasonal item as well as the chest sometimes being a different color. Previously it was just a grey color with no other decorations.
- The contents were first updated in the 25 September 2012 update, which added additional items and replaced random tonics with Mystery Tonics and its endless version.
- Self-Style Hair Kit and Total Makeover Kit were added as rare drops in the 3 December 2012 update.
- Prior to the June 3, 2014 update, chests were split into locked and unlocked items. Using a key converted the former into the latter which served as a container.
- Prior to the February 18, 2014 update, unlocked chests were soulbound on acquire. This patch saw this item made account bound at the request of players.
- The Permanent Hair Stylist Contract was added on 29 July 2014.
- Tradeable permanent finishers were added in the 29 September 2015 update. This patch also removed Metabolic Primer, Utility Primer, Large Guild Discovery, and Boost Enchantment Powder from the drop tables.