Skill points are the mechanism through which characters learn slot skills.
1 skill point is earned for each of the following:
- Completing a skill challenge
- Past level 80, for every 254,000 experience points earned (one level).
- Dessa's Experiment Journal (purchased for 35 Fractal Relics)
- Scroll of Knowledge
5 skill points are earned for:
- 8 skill points are earned at levels 20, 26 and 32.
- 7 skill points are earned at levels 38, 44, 50 and 56.
- 6 skill points are earned at levels 62, 68, 74 and 80.
 Skill acquisition
To learn a skill, open the Hero panel, select the Skills and Traits tab on the left, then select Slot Skills. Each locked skill will display its skill point cost, ranging from 1 skill point for tier 1 utility skills up to 30 skill points for tier 2 elite skills. Click on the skill to select it, then click on the "Confirm" button to unlock the skill.
|1st profession skill||Free|
|2nd profession skill||1|
| 3rd profession skill
| 4th profession skill
|Siege Masters Guide||1||1|
 Trait guides
- Primary article: trait guide
Trait guides can be purchased from profession trainers. Each trainer offers 65 different trait guides, one for every major trait for that profession.
- Skill point acquisition from leveling before the September 2014 feature pack was one per character level.