1 skill point was earned for each of the following:
- Completing a skill challenge
- Past level 80, for every 254,000 experience points earned (one level).
- Dessa's Experiment Journal (purchased for 35 Fractal Relics)
- Scroll of Knowledge
5 skill points were earned for:
- 8 skill points were earned at levels 20, 26 and 32.
- 7 skill points were earned at levels 38, 44, 50 and 56.
- 6 skill points were earned at levels 62, 68, 74 and 80.
To learn a skill, players would open the Hero panel, select the Skills and Traits tab on the left, then select Slot Skills. Each locked skill would display its skill point cost, ranging from 1 skill point for tier 1 utility skills up to 30 skill points for tier 2 elite skills. Clicking on a skill icon and then clicking the "Confirm" button would unlock it.
|1st profession skill||Free|
|2nd profession skill||1|
| 3rd profession skill
|4th profession skill||25|
|Siege Masters Guide||1||1|
- Primary article: trait guide
Trait guides were purchasable from profession trainers. Each trainer offered 65 different trait guides, one for every major trait of that profession.
- Skill point acquisition from leveling before the September 2014 feature pack was one per character level.
- It takes from 223 to 232 skill points to learn all the available slot skills for one character, depending on the profession and race combination. Notably, norn characters need the most due to an additional racial elite skill available to them.
- Skill points were removed in the June 23, 2015 game update.