Map of Winter Wonderland
is a jumping puzzle
that is only available during Wintersday
. Players must jump across a precarious path of melting snowflakes, hop over exploding presents, and flee past massive rolling snowballs. Deliver presents to the children gathered at the end of the puzzle to receive your reward.
Speak with the Festive Youth standing on a large peppermint in The Crown Pavilion, Divinity's Reach. you will be transported to the starting hub for the puzzle.
During Wintersday 2012, players began the puzzle at a set interval. Prepare Yourself...for a Jumping Time! would show how much time remained until the next round would start. In the meantime, there were Piles of Snowballs on the ground for players to have snowball fights.
Starting in Wintersday 2013, players were allowed to start the puzzle whenever they wished, and three paths were made available for the first segment. A "present" could be taken from Tixx at a checkpoint and opened for an immediate reward, delivered to the children at the end of the puzzle for a greater reward, or forgone completely to activate the "checkpoint." If the player failed to complete the jumping puzzle after accepting the present for delivery, nothing was gained. If the player instead chose the checkpoint, the functionality only worked once; if the player failed to complete the puzzle, they were returned to Tixx's location, but they were returned to the starting area if they failed again after starting from the checkpoint.
Warning: Not sure if this is a bug, but it does not count toward the monthly achievement total.
Spoiler alert: The hidden text contains spoilers relating to the solution to the Winter Wonderland jumping puzzle.
The Frostbite effect will slowly whittle away at your health until you die. This acts as a timer, where you will die in 2 minutes. You will also be under the Swiftness effect for a duration of 9 hours.
- You will start at one of three starting points.
- The first part is a series of snowflake platforms. They will dissolve after a few seconds, so move quickly. There will be some candy canes sticking out of columns as well.
- Ginger Bread path: One set of candy cane jumps, with easy succession. Probably the easiest path.
- Snow Man path: One set of candy cane jumps, but they are short and tricky. If you can navigate the candy canes, the rest is easy.
- Quaggan path: Two sets of candy cane jumps, but both with easy succession. If you don't like candy cane jumps avoid this path.
- The next part is a a series of gifts that act as platforms. They will explode and disappear. This pattern is fixed, so find a reliable route through the gifts and stay with it.
- When you land on a big peppermint platform, watch out for a gust of wind coming from the right snowman before you move forward. Again the pattern is fixed.
- On the candy cane bridge, hidden Skritt can attack with mortar shots.
- Giant snowballs will roll down the hill, launching you if you get hit. Snowballs will drop down, inflicting chilled for 10 seconds if hit.
- Wait for the first snowball to pass, then head up and jump to the peppermint on the right to avoid the next snowball.
- Run past against this snowball, then head to the top of the sloped peppermint ahead. You can get hit if you stand too low, and you can get blown away by a gust of wind if you stand too high.
- At this part, there will be two Ice Traps that are easy to get hit by if you are too slow. You have time, avoid them. Jumping to the peppermint platform on he right is much more difficult while chilled.
- Jump to the peppermint or straight to the BLUE gift boxes, avoiding the snowball.
- Jump to the long candy cane and run, then jump a couple more BLUE gift boxes before leaping into the giant present.
- You will be teleported to the end, where you are greeted by dancing gingerbread men and children. Claim the Magnificent Chest as a reward.
- There is a hidden upper level to the left of the big red gift box. Gives a nice view of the play area.
- Guardians will still gain the Aegis effect.
- The forward "w" key should pretty much be pressed for most of the entire puzzle in order to keep pace. Otherwise you will not have health left at the end to make it.
- Candy canes in snowflake path are easier to pass if you jump into to their length (at a sharp angle), and not their width (you will fall right through).
- Keep your eyes open for mortar shots from pesky Skritt.
- A Dodge roll will stop the wind from blowing you off at the peppermint after the presents obstacle, but be very careful using it. Accidental dodge rolls knock many people out of the snowflake path.
- Tall characters like Norn and Charr will block the view of smaller characters during jumping, so always try to get ahead of the pack.
- Taller characters may have an advantage. Asura have a hard time because they get caught under snowflakes above them.
- Be patient. It may take MANY tries before you succeed. Keep at it!
At the end of the puzzle, a Magnificent Chest awaits. It resets each time the puzzle is completed.
- The chest will always contain 10 Wintersday Gifts.
- The chest will always contain 5 Wintersday Gifts.
- If you do not deliver the present for Tixx, the chest contains 1 Wintersday Gift.
- If you successfully deliver the present for Tixx, the chest contains 3 Wintersday Gifts.
- See the talk page for drop research.
- The chest always contained 3 Wintersday Gifts, their size depending on character level.
- Once per day per account, the chest yielded additional drops:
- A random booster or Wintersday tonic
- 4-6 Snowflakes (tier depends on character level)
- A consumable giving Karma (type depends on character level)
The ending of the jumping puzzle.
- Upon completion, if you turn around as you enter and jump behind the box you came out of there will be a series of steps you can jump up which will take you to a big red star. There doesn't seem to be any purpose to this mini puzzle.
- There is currently a bug that actively prevents players from entering the Winter Wonderland map. Players will often be directly teleported out back into Divinity's Reach, causing a very long loading dialog.