Shattered Ice Ruins
Shattered Ice Ruins
|Search YouTube for videos related to Shattered Ice Ruins.|
The entrance to this jumping puzzle is underwater. You'll often find Alpine Skelk around the entrance. They're not a big problem, but will follow you up the staircase, so they will need to be disposed of.
Note that throughout this area there are icicles falling from the ceiling; they take a while to land but can disrupt your timing or throw you off the edges. All of the foes in the puzzle have extended AoE attack ranges, so you constantly need to be aware of their target rings, and keep moving.
1. Once you're inside, climb up the ruined stairs to the top and ahead of you for a couple of Cave Trolls in the distance. Dive/swim to the platform ahead of these foes and work your way back to another ruined staircase, guarded by at least on Blue Ooze. The Blue Oozes in this area have an extended attack range, so it's best to kill them to avoid having your jumps interrupted. Unless they manage to get "in your face", any Cave Troll's in the area can be avoided, just be wary of their AoE attacks.
2. Continue upwards. Jump from one ledge to the next until you're at the top, then hop to a ruined pillar and down to the bridge. Jump over the gap and either battle, or avoid the two trolls. They're in an enclosed space, so their AoE can be a pain here. Fortunately, they will not follow you from their area.
3. Take the middle exit across to the nest landing, guarded by yet another Cave Troll, (possibly a veteran). This is a dangerous foe because the AoE can knock you off the bridge to the water below, forcing a re-start of the puzzle (or death). The easiest way to fight is to quickly move to the platform and place your back against a pillar. blocking the knockback effect. Again, it MAY be possible to avoid combat and quickly move out of range.
4. Jump across to the snowy stairs and then around to the next few platforms. Mind the icicles dropping once more. Continue along the left wall, climbing the ice and either battling or dodging the Blue Oozes.
5. Jump the gap to the middle platform, where the Veteran Chromatic Ooze awaits. This jump is a long one, and any swiftness boosts or jumping abilities are beneficial here. The Chromatic Ooze will knock you back, so mind your footing. This ooze CAN be avoided, by staying to the left and moving immediately to the chain.
6. Carefully walk across the chain to the next platform and then hop to your right and into the tower. A Veteran Cave Troll waits for you here. Avoidance is best as it will NOT follow you as you move up the ruined staircase and across the platforms. If you choose to fight, keep your back to a wall, minimizing knock-back/knockdown.
7. Hop from one platform to another, and note that towards the top you reverse direction for the last two or three jumps. Here lies a Grand Chest and achievement for completing the puzzle. There's also some diving goggles to get back down again.