Map of Griffonrook Run
Start of the puzzle
Start at False Lake Waypoint in False Lake and head south. You can also start at the Guutra's Homestead Waypoint and head west. The entrance to the puzzle is located underwater on the right or west side of the river. Follow the water's edge until you find a cluster of seaweed and the stone foundations of a house. There is an extremely small opening among the seaweed (a hole in the roof of the house, above and to the right of the 'front door'); you'll be able to see a very faint purple hue. Work your way into the underwater tunnel and swim until you arrive at the chasm. Head north from here until you reach the teleportation stone. This will bring you up to the start of the course.
||Search YouTube for videos related to Griffonrook Run (jumping puzzle).
Spoiler alert: The hidden text contains spoilers relating to the solution to the Griffonrook Run jumping puzzle.
- Talk to Adventurer Thrada near the start the course in the form of receiving a bomb. You are tasked with carrying this bomb to the end of the course to open the chest. As this is an environmental weapon, all your weapon skills are disabled for the duration.
- The bomb will blow up if you are attacked by an enemy or drop it. Griffons have poor attack animations and they can hit you almost immediately or take a few seconds. They can also hit you in mid-air because of the delay. There is also a timer on the bomb, which is 3 minutes. The length of the fuse as well as the color of the smoke coming off of it should give you some indication of how much time you have left. The smoke color will go from grey, yellow, orange, red, then white before it blows.
- Follow the ledge east and do a hop around the wall, there is a platform on the other side.
- Hug the cliff face as you drop down on the deteriorating stone wall. Remember to jump over the small gap.
- Hop onto the left side of the mound, it's very easy to slide off. Jump up to the right ledge and back through the hole in the wall. The nearby griffon loves hitting you at this part so bring skills to disable it or simply kill it. You can also jump to your left into the gap between the ruins and the cliff wall when you reach the far side of the stone wall.
- Follow the left side and run up the slope.
- There will be a nesting to your right. Run past the griffon here and use the stone slope to get up to the level above. The griffon above here gets aggroed from below and will attack you immediately. Dodge past it and turn left looking off the nesting.
- Jump onto the outlying pillar.
- Continue to jump down onto the platform.
- Keeping moving forward, jumping on a series of three platforms, avoiding the griffons.
- Head to the opposite side of the last platform and jump down to the lower platform.
- Jump to the nearby platform, keep in mind the gap is rather large.
- Continue to the next platform to your left.
- Facing the right side, jump down to the belying platform. You will take heavy fall damage and set upon by the nearby griffons, so move quickly and jump down to the lower platform on your right.
- Follow this path up the rock slope, heading up the the stairs at the turnaround while avoiding the griffon.
- Jump over the boulders and follow the left side to reach another set of stairs. Continue up these stairs and jump down to the next platform, dodging the griffon at the top.
- Turn left at the intersection and jump down.
- Grab the egg from the nest jutting out the right side of the platform to recover as well as to avoid the griffon.
- Keep moving forward until you reach the wall, then turn left, following the wall on your right side.
- Head up the slope, jumping over boulders and dodging the griffon.
- Turn left and head down the path, turning at where the griffon is.
- Jump onto the nearby rock face when possible and run to the end.
- Use the skill the bomb gives you to place it in front of the chest, and it will open.
- If you lose the bomb, falling to your death allows you to restart immediately.
- Equip a trait that reduces falling damage (optional).
- Bring utility skills or traits provide Swiftness, Stealth, Control, Block, or distracting Minions/Illusions.
- Disabling "Melee Attack Assist" in the General Options will enable you to run through foes.
- Griffon eggs are scattered throughout the area that will provide benefits. Blue eggs will grant swiftness. Red eggs will completely restore health.
- Thieves can take advantage of the Descent of Shadows trait that will stealth them and blind enemies with fall damage.
- It is possible to get the jumping puzzle achievement without carrying the bomb to the end and opening the final chest.
It is possible to waypoint with the bomb. Have a mesmer finish the puzzle, and wait by the chest. A second person picks up the bomb and waypoints to False Lake. The mesmer leaves a portal at the chest, and then also waypoints to create the exit portal. Bomber portals, puts down bomb, and boom!
It is also possible to use the item Teleport to Friend to teleport to someone at the end of the puzzle while holding the bomb.
- Gliding is disabled in this jumping puzzle.
Entrance to the puzzle is underwater; pic taken from above
- For players who simply want the achievement, you are not required to open the chest with the bomb. This can save you a headache.
- The chest has to be opened with a bomb, but not necessarily yours. If someone comes with a bomb and opens the chest, you can loot it.
- The chest is currently bugged so players may receive an empty chest. If this happens, log out and log back in, and you should be able to loot the chest.
- After some update a Splendid Chest was added on the half-way. It can be opened without a bomb.