Loreclaw Expanse (jumping puzzle)
Map of Loreclaw Expanse
is located in the southeast portion of the Plains of Ashford
 Getting there
The puzzle entrance is located southeast of the Loreclaw waypoint in Loreclaw Expanse. Scale the angular ridge to find it. An alternate path lies in the water, coming from the north of the jumping puzzle, and is hidden by seaweed.
||Search YouTube for video walkthroughs about Loreclaw Expanse (jumping puzzle).
Spoiler alert: The hidden text contains spoilers relating to a jumping puzzle walkthrough.
- Jump to a collapsed corridor that contains two sets of double spike traps. These hit for 1200. Note: these traps are continously operating.
- Jump through the window on the left at the second set of traps.
- Run across beams and up stairs.
- Jump down to another corridor.
- Time your run through the flame traps and across to stairs. These hit for 750 and burning.
- Jump up the makeshift stairs in the wall.
- Run up next stairs while dodging falling rocks. At the top turn left.
- Jump through the waterfall via the middle of the 2 ravens and angle slightly to the left. The landing platform is slightly visible through the waterfall.
- Open the treasure chest to spawn
- a) the Kill the shadow skelk matriarch event. Kill the matriarch to allow you to use the pressure plate required to reach the final treasure.
- b) the Kill Captain Ravenwood event. Kill Captain Ravenwood to allow you to use the pressure plate required to reach the final treasure. The Ascalonian Healer does not need to be killed and vanishes after Ravenwood is dead.
- Climb up to the rafters, using the wall pieces behind the chest; this might involve dodging fireballs. Walk across the beams and step on the pressure plate.
- Drop back down to the first chest; one of the walls has opened up, allowing access to a Grand Chest and sometimes a Rich Copper Vein. Approaching the chest grants the Loreclaw Expanse achievement. Grab the loot and run out since the roof may collapse and kill you.
Alternate Path #1
- After the spike traps, go right instead of left.
- Run and jump onto the beam below. Follow it to the left until you hit a wall.
- Jump up the outcroppings above you. watch out for the spider.
- Above is another spider. Kill it and continue up the platforms.
- Keep jumping until you reach the stairs after the Fire Traps. You may now rejoin the main path listed above.
Alternate Path #3
- Should you fall or wish to avoid the spike and fire traps, drop to the water.
- Around the first wall there are wooden stairs, then wooden beams, and stone steps making their way up the wall.
- Jump onto the beam (there is a raven on it) and continue across to the path against the cavern side.
- Follow the path, killing the spider on the bridge, jump up via the stone outcroppings.
- You are now at the step 6 in the main path (once again, a raven marking the path on the makeshift stairs).
Alternate Path #4 (Only for Elementalists)
- Complete the puzzle up to the "fake" chest room, but do not open it. Instead, follow the path leading outside (past skelk). Directionally, this is E-NE.
- By standing on the rock incline/crest near the doe, you should be able to see the Magnificent Chest through (what is usually) the exit.
- Utilize your Lightning Flash skill to teleport to the upper edge of the exit ledge. (The range of Lightning Flash will naturally require this to be done anyway.) You'll know you succeeded if you are "stuck" inside the rock face. When this happens DO NOT move your character. (You should be able to tell anyway due to some irregular clipping issues with the rock face.)
- Wait for your Lightning Flash to cooldown, then use it again as far in front of you as you are able. You should now be on the Magnificent Chest's level.
- This route causes the Elementalist to take some pretty massive fall damage with the second Lightning Flash, as well as triggering a slew of falling rocks that will subsequently finish them off. Fall damage cannot be avoided, however dodging forward (or using Mist Form if downed) IMMEDIATELY following the second teleport will allow you to survive.
- This puzzle is easier to do with a partner, since many of the traps can kill you in one hit or one hit plus condition damage. It also helps to buff your vitality with gear or food.
- If the chest is open when you reach the section with the journal, you will be unable to trigger the matriarch event that enables the pressure plate, which will prevent you from reaching the final spot. Wait awhile and the chest will eventually close and you'll be able to complete the puzzle.
- There is a journal, belonging to Haneri Jenos Sr., lying next to the first chest with the skeleton on top giving a clue to the pressure plate opening the second chest.
The rusty giant saw blades
Selection of cups, and perhaps the Grail?
Numerous references to the Indiana Jones franchise are hidden around the puzzle.
- The dead archeologist's name is quite similar to Henry Jones, Sr., the name of the titular character's father.
- His skeleton wears a fedora, the hat usually worn by Indiana Jones.
- In the passage to the final room with the chest, the player passes spiderwebs and there are two large saw blades against the wall, similar to the first trap shown in the movie.
- There is a selection of cups sitting on the stone table near the final Grand Chest
- A 'leap of faith' from a lions head/statue is present in both movie and puzzle.
- The room with the Grand Chest will collapse (also done in the movie), killing you, if you do not leave fast enough.
- Captain Ravenwood is a reference to Marion Ravenwood. One of her quotes is "You can't do this to me. I'm an Ascalonian" in reference to a quote by her in Raiders of the Lost Ark.