A waypoint, or a magi-matter-transportive device, is a mini-gate that players can instantly travel to by using the map. Before a character can use a particular waypoint for map travel, it must be discovered through exploration. Undiscovered waypoints will be displayed on the compass and map, and approaching the waypoint will unlock it for that character. Map travel within a city is free, but traveling to waypoints in other parts of the world costs a fee in coin based on the distance between the character's current location and the destination waypoint, as well as the character's non-scaled level. During and after dynamic events, waypoints can become contested if the area is taken over by enemies. These waypoints will be unavailable for map travel until they have been liberated. A normal zone typically has between 10 and 20 waypoints.
Map travel is not available while in combat. Defeated players can choose to be revived at a waypoint for the same fee as regular map travel. If a character is defeated with no coin, they can be revived for free at the nearest waypoint.
Along with points of interest, Shift-clicking or Ctrl-clicking on a discovered waypoint on the compass or map creates a clickable link in chat. Double-clicking on a discovered waypoint allows to bypass confirmation window.
During the events of Season 2 of the Living Story, it is revealed that waypoints will only function if placed on a leyline. If a waypoint was not placed on a leyline, it would eventually fail, and the Asura would remove it. Therefore, the asura have unknowingly mapped the location of leylines all over Tyria. This discovery by Scarlet Briar allowed her to locate the massive leyline hub under Lion's Arch, disrupt it, and awaken Mordremoth.
Shortly after, Mordremoth's vines started entangling waypoints, even destroying some like at Fort Marriner.
Taimi deduced Mordremoth's vines were attracted to the waypoints' magical resonance and developed a machine that could tap into the waypoint network and retune waypoints to a different frequency that was less attractive to the Mordrem. The implications of this machine are that the waypoint network can be "hacked", and waypoints are somewhat programmable.
Taimi's machine was commandeered by Councillor Phlunt when it was found to work, and since then, vines are no longer attacking waypoints.
Players can create a personal waypoint on the map by + a point on the map. This point has a gray star and labeled Personal Waypoint. The waypoint is viewable by other members of the party. You can view other party member's waypoints as indicated by a blue version of the star and the player's name. This provides a useful way to communicate position or goals to other players. These waypoints are only map markers.
- Map Icons
- What you see: , what party members see:
In brief, the cost of using a waypoint increases with both character level and distance.
Reducing travel costs
- Guild upgrades
- Guilds can build upgrades to permanently reduce waypoint costs by 5%, 10% and then 15% for representing members.
- Constructing a guild portal permits free travel to the PvP lobby, Lion's Arch, the Aerodrome, and the weekly destinations of the Guild Challenge, Race, and Puzzle.
- Travel through the mists to reach Lion's Arch
You can reduce the fees paid for fast travel primarily by going through the mists to get to Lion's Arch:
- Open the PvP interface and click Go to the Heart of the Mists and take the asura gate. (Requires completion of the PvP tutorials.)
- Open the World versus World panel (shortcut: ) and enter any of the four maps; take the asura gate to Lion's Arch.
- Travel to other cities via Lion's Arch
- From Lion's Arch, you can travel to any other city for free via the asura gates at Gate Hub Plaza Waypoint.
- You can travel back to Lion's Arch using the gate located at your arrival point from Lion's Arch.
- Travel via guild hall
- Both currently available guild halls (Lost Precipice and Gilded Hollow) are located in the Maguuma area, this significantly reduces the travel cost to nearby zones like HoT, The Silverwastes and Dry Top. Travel to guild hall is free (Guild Hall button on the Guild panel).
- Other free waypoints
- Inside each of the major cities.
- Inside dungeons.
- Inside World versus World. (Contains Merchants, Crafting Stations, Banks, Trading Posts, and once left will return you to your original location in PvE).
- Other tips and notes
- To travel to Fort Trinity in Orr, you can use the asura gate in your chosen order's headquarters; this is unlocked during your personal story.
- Durmand Priory (location) in Lornar's Pass may be reached via Asura Gate in the Postern Ward of Lion's Arch.
- Pearl Islet in Southsun Cove may be reached via Asura Gate in the Eastern Ward of Lion's Arch.
- Stronghold of Ebonhawke can be reached by using the Asura gate at Rurikton in Divinity's Reach
- When defeated you can always travel to the nearest waypoint
- If you have insufficient coins to pay the normal waypoint fee, then the fee will be reduced the maximum that you can afford.
- If the waypoint is contested, you will have to wait to travel (or have someone mail you the cost to travel to the next nearest waypoint).
- You cannot travel to the mists while defeated.
The total cost of traveling to a waypoint depends on your level and the distance travelled , and can be determined as follows:
Waypoint cost = C1 * [ 0.78 + max(0, (0.0003 / 24) * (Distance - 14400)) ] + C2
There are two level dependent constants, C1 and C2, which are determined by a lookup table:
- C1 scales linearly between levels 0 and 80 from 4 to 50 .
- C2 is zero up to level 30, and scales linearly between levels 31 and 80 from 0 to 1 .
The distance for this equation is measured in the unit that appears when hovering over markers on the minimap or in skill descriptions, i.e. inches.
- There are 486 waypoints that count towards map completion.
- According to Technician Penn, waypoints are magical matter-transportive devices devised by the asura to make it easier to travel long distances.
- There was some inconsistency in the Living Story as to what frequency would be less attractive to the Mordrem. In The Machine, Taimi says they needed a higher frequency, but in Recalibrating the Waypoints she says they needed to vibrate at a slower rate.
- Initially at release, the cost of waypoints were considered expensive. But with the cost reduction when Captain Ellen Kiel was elected to the Lion's Arch Captain's Council, the amount of gold in the economy and ways to obtain it, there should never be a worry that waypoints are too expensive to use.
- Some waypoints were destroyed during Living World Season 2 and have yet to be repaired. While they are still needed for map completion, they are shown on the map as permanently contested even if no foes are around.
- Addition of waypoints
The number of waypoints required for map completion has changed over time, from 477 during the first Beta Weekend event to 503 when the game launched. Since then, other waypoints have been added, and the WvW waypoints, along with all WvW Vistas, POI's, and Skill Points have been removed from the map completion requirement. All of these ARE still available, and the WvW Skill Points are still added to the character's totals.
|28 January 2013||6||509|
|26 February 2013||2||511|
|26 March 2013||1||512|
|15 October 2013||1||513|
|18 November 2014||-29||484|