- 1325 AE
- Cathedral of Zephyrs
- All Races
- Savior of Tyria
- Preceded by
- Marching Orders
- Followed by
- The Steel Tide
Armor Guard (level 79)
Escort the Pact tanks to the Cathedral of Zephyrs.
- Meet the tank column at Western Colonnade.
- Speak to Ballista Geargrind.
- Escort the tanks to the first checkpoint.
- Clear the mines while the tank is repaired.
- Defend the tank column.
- Speak to Ballista Geargrind.
- Escort the tanks to the second checkpoint.
- Speak to Tegwen and Carys.
- Find the source of the Risen giants.
- Defeat the giant chief.
- Get clear so Tegwen can finish the mission.
- Rejoin the tank column at the Pact camp.
- Army Badge
- One of the following: Exquisite Emerald Jewel, Exquisite Ruby Jewel, Exquisite Beryl Jewel
You meet up with the Gear Warband, which is preparing to deploy the tanks to the front line. Your mission is to guard the tanks on the journey, since the Risen aren't about to just let you through. Follow the tanks and clear out any Risen that get in the way; you have several allies with you, so they should be quite easy. Eventually, a cutscene plays, showing that the lead tank got stuck in a minefield. The Pale Reavers show up and apologize for not warning you about the mines. To make it up to you, they will accompany you for the rest of the escort.
You'll need to disarm all the mines before the tanks can proceed. Approach a mine and interact with it to disarm it. While you are fiddling around with explosives, Risen are attacking from all sides. The Pale Reavers will take care of most of them, but one or two might still slip through and attack while you're busy disarming. After all the mines are clear, the Risen stop attacking and the tanks continue moving. As before, clear out Risen that get in the way and proceed with the tanks. Eventually, another cutscene will play, showing a group of Veteran Risen Giants approaching from a temple. Don't try to fight them; move around on the left side and head towards the heart of the temple of Dwayna. A Risen Giant will appear there, and you must defeat him to advance the quest. Although other allies won't follow you here, Tegwen and Carys do, and the Giant doesn't hit that hard anyway. After he goes down, Tegwen stays behind to destroy the temple. Return to the tank column and finish escorting them; there shouldn't be any more Risen along the way. Once everyone arrives, the mission ends.
- Crusader Afanen appears in several cutscenes during this series of quests, even though she's not to be found among the other npcs outside of the cutscenes.
- The areas available to roam around in are quite large and provide the opportunity of safely completing big parts of the map by discovering Points of Interest and Waypoints.
- Ballista Geargrind
- Crusader Afanen
- Crusader Deborah
- Mangonel Gearstrip
- Pact Mechanic
- Pale Reaver Sniper
- Priory Arcanist
- Tactician Beirne
- Vigil Marksman
- Warden Hywel
- Whispers Lightbringer
- Giant Chief
- Risen Abomination
- Risen Corrupter
- Risen Grub
- Risen Jester
- Risen Noble
- Risen Plague Carrier Abomination
- Risen Plaguebearer
- Risen Preserver
- Risen Putrifier
- Risen Ravager
- Risen Squire
- Risen Subjugator
- Risen Wizard
- Veteran Risen Giant
Upon entering the Western Colonnade (cinematic):
- Tactician Beirne: All set, Commander. The Pale Reavers have scouted ahead, and Ballista Geargrind's tank column is ready to roll.
- <Character name>: Good. Marshal Trahearne needs these tanks. We'll make sure he gets them, and we'll put them to use along the way.
- Tactician Beirne: Be advised, we expect serious resistance. The Reavers will be there to support you along the route.
- Tactician Beirne: My squad will airdrop in at the target and prep the site for you. In the meantime, Geargrind and her warband are standing by.
- <Character name>: Excellent. It's good to have you with us, Tactician. An operation this complicated needs people who can both plan and execute.
- Tactician Beirne: Thank you, Commander, I'll see you at the temple. Good luck.
Approaching Ballista Geargrind:
- Pact Mechanic: These vehicles weren't meant for this terrain. Or these enemies.
- Ballista Geargrind: Bah! This ordnance puts down the Risen even faster than it erases ghosts. Destroys 'em permanently, too.
- Pact Mechanic: Yeah, but ghosts poof away with hardly any residue. Risen are gunky. Clogs the machinery.
- Ballista Geargrind: The finest war machines of the legions won't be stopped by "gunk", soldier. Get back to work.
Talking with Ballista Geargrind:
- Ballista Geargrind: The Pale Reavers are conducting reconnaissance, the tank column is standing by, and my warband is prepped. Say the word, Commander, and the mission is a go.
- Let's move out.
After speaking with Ballista Geargrind:
- Ballista Geargrind: Let's not keep the commander waiting. Get this column in gear!
- Ballista Geargrind: Mangonel's our whiskey expert. After this mission's successful, the first round's on him.
- Ballista Geargrind: Right now, I want to see tails in motion. Form up and move out!
- Ballista Geargrind: Move out!
Talking with Mangonel Gearstrip:
- Mangonel Gearstrip: The charr have waited a long time to march into Orr. Just wait until the Risen get a taste of our firepower. We'll be guzzling grog in Arah before you know it.
- Let's get there first, soldier.
After hitting the mine field:
- Crusader Afanen: Welcome to the sunny side of Orr, Commander. The Pale Reaver are at your service.
- Crusader Afanen: We apologize for failing to warn you about the mines.
- Crusader Afanen: Allow us to make it up to you. Let us cover you while you make repairs.
- Crusader Afanen: We promise, the rest of your route is clear...of mines, at least. There may be other surprises.
After clearing the mine field:
- Ballista Geargrind: Mines clear? Good! I've got the lead tank operational. Let's move out!
Talking to Ballista after reaching the first checkpoint:
- Ballista Geargrind: We're halfway there. Things are going smoother than I expected. Heavy machinery and unfamiliar terrain don't always mix.
- It's a credit to you and your warband. Stand by to move on.
After reaching the second checkpoint:
- Carys: Hey, it's the commander! Have you seen all the Risen giants around here?
- Tegwen: They're coming from a nearby temple. We need to level it, but we lack the firepower.
- Mangonel Gearstrip: I have just what you need. Ghostfire shells: highly experimental, highly combustible.
- Mangonel Gearstrip: Something we picked up from the Ascalonians. Someone simply needs to mark the target and signal me, and it'll burn.
- Mangonel Gearstrip: Make sure you woody types get clear, though. This stuff devours everything in its path until nothing's left.
Talking to Tegwen:
- Tegwen: Standing by for your orders, Commander. How do you want us to proceed?
- I'd like to know more about the Pale Reavers first.
- Let's go in hot. Attack formation.
- Let's keep a low profile. Stealth formation.
- No change. Carry on as you are.
Talking to Carys:
- Carys: I wish we sylvari had spent time developing our own tanks. Think how effective the Pale Reavers would be if we had stealthy...what did that charr called it, "mobile armored artillery"?
- Someday. For now, leave the tanks to the experts.
After defeating the giant chief:
- Tegwen: The timer is damaged. If we trigger it, we won't have time to get clear.
- Carys: We have to do something. These giants are getting bigger and madder all the time.
- Tegwen: I know. Just...leave it to me. You and the commander withdrawal. I'll signal the ghostfire.
- Carys: Tegwen? You can't do that. You'll be-
- Tegwen: Doing only what I was called to do. For once, Carys, just do what I say. Go!
After returning to the Pact camp (cinematic):
- Carys: I need a moment, Commander. I'm sorry. I know this is war, but I...I just can't believe she's gone. She was my partner. My friend.
- <Character name>: I'm sorry, too. Tegwen...we lost a good soldier today, but she died saving lives. We'll honor her memory.
- Ballista Geargrind: Count on that. She was a tough old stick, and she fought well.
- Ballista Geargrind: When we get home, we'll all raise a toast to her bravery...with the good stuff. And this time, I'm buying.
- Crusader Afanen: Tegwen is back with the Mother Tree now. Her memories, and our memories of her, will inspire generations of new sylvari.
- Carys: She'd love that. She always wanted to be the wise old elder that everyone listened to. For her, and for me: thank you, everyone.
Talking to Carys:
- Carys: I don't know how I can do on without her. Tegwen was my friend, my partner. We worked together for years. She taught me everything I know. Now, she's...gone.
- Be strong, Carys. Tegwen would want you to carry on the fight.
Talking to Mangonel Gearstrip:
- Mangonel Gearstrip: Shame about Tegwen. We can't bring her back, but we can punish every rotten Risen we come across between here and victory.
- We can, and we will.
Talking to Ballista Geargrind:
- Ballista Geargrind: Hey, sorry to hear about that sylvari. You should be proud of her: she got the job done.
- I am. When Zhaitan falls, it'll be because of people like Tegwen.
 My Story