Back items are a category of equipment.
Back items share features with both armor and trinkets. Like armor, back items must be repaired when they are damaged; unlike armor, they do not provide any defense. Like trinkets, they can be upgraded with jewels.
Back items provide the lowest magnitude of attribute bonuses out of all equipment types, only 65% of an equivalent (same level and rarity) boot, glove, or shoulder armor, the next-lowest equipment types, or 12% of an equivalent two-handed weapon.
Unlike most other equipment types, back items are not widely available as loot, only appearing as rare drops in explorable-mode dungeons. There are a number of other ways of acquiring back items, however, and they can be traded on the Trading Post.
- No level requirement
- L80 requirement/Masterwork:
- Guild Armorer (coin)
- Guild Commendation Trader: exotic items sold for 5 plus 5 Guild Commendations
- BUY-4373 in Mistlock Observatory (1,350 Fractal Relics)
- Gem Store back piece covers come bundled with a white quality account-bound back item without stats.
- Karma vendors after the Temple events sell exotic versions for 42,000 per piece.
- Ascalonian Catacombs: Ghostly Spineguard and Ghost Eater's Hide
- Caudecus's Manor: Bandit Spineguard, Spineguard of the North
- Twilight Arbor: Forest Brace and Arbor's Embrace
- Citadel of Flame: Charred Back Warmer
- Crucible of Eternity: Fiber Splice
- The Ruined City of Arah: Risen Spineguard
- Fractals of the Mists: Various back items
- Pvp Reward Tracks
- Halloween 2012:
- Wintersday 2012:
- Flame and Frost: Retribution
- Super Adventure Box
- The Secret of Southsun
- Dragon Bash
- Bazaar of the Four Winds
- Cutthroat Politics
- Super Adventure Box: Back to School
- Tequatl Rising
- Twilight Assault
- Escape From Lion's Arch
- Spinal Blade Pack, which can then be upgraded in the Mystic Forge successively into Twin Spinal Blades, Quad Spinal Blades, Advanced Spinal Blades, and Tempered Spinal Blades. The Tempered version, which is ascended level, could then be colorized with event items into, Dynamic Tempered Spinal Blades, Static Tempered Spinal Blades, or Synergetic Tempered Spinal Blades. The last 4 versions can be infused.
- The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- The Halloween items and those from the level 33 quests only accept gems without any level requirement in their upgrade slot.
- Many back items have no visible models.
- The Fractals versions are exotic and can be upgraded to ascended in the Mystic Forge.
- Before the 2013-02-26 game update, back items had an empty line instead of the "Back Item" entry in their descriptions.