Flame and Frost: Prelude
The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy…
— Official website
Flame and Frost: Prelude is a release launched on 28 January 2013 that acts as the first part of the Flame and Frost narrative. It introduces the multi-stage Flame and Frost narrative and brings additional changes to Guild Wars 2 and primarily affects the charr (flame) and the norn (frost).
- See also: Game updates/2013-01-28
- Temporary features
- New achievement category Flame and Frost, which tracks the progress of the narrative
- Temple of the Silent Storm: Week long event
- Permanent features
- Temple of the Silent Storm: Added to regular rotation
- Improved achievement system with daily/monthly tracker UI.
- A new currency: Laurels
- New infusion equipment: Ascended amulets and utility infusions
- Tweaks to World versus World
- New Gem Store items available for purchase
- Changes to Orr to improve events, rewards, and general playability.
- Improvements to Fractals of the Mists, including new daily bonus chests.
- 28 January 2013
This update included many of the game features for the game release. Content related to Living Story can be found in Wayfarer Foothills, Diessa Plateau, the Black Citadel, and Hoelbrak. This content will change over the course of events.
- 29 January 2013
The Refugee Volunteer achievement track is released as part of the Flame and Frost Living Story. Content appears in Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau. Refugees begin appearing in Diessa Plateau on the evening of 29 January. Refugee camps appear in Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel. The Wolfborn Watch and Adamant Watch appear near the camps.
- 4 February 2013
- 11 February 2013
- 18 February 2013
The Wolfborn Watch and Adamant Watch change their dialogue to be more specific and note that Knut Whitebear and Rytlock Brimstone have sent scouts to the north. The refugee camps have added structures and have more refugees in them. Refugee Froya and Refugee Fiannas appear in the Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel refugee camps, respectively, mentioning the lack of room available in the camps. The Wolfborn Watch reports the dredge are suspected to be behind the attack along with magical help from the shadows. The Adamant Watch reports the Flame Legion have attacked villages.
- 25 February 2013
The Wolfborn Watch mentions an anonymous benefactor in Lion's Arch giving aid to the refugees. The Wolfborn Watch also reports the dredge and Flame Legion are conspiring together in a major offensive against norn and charr villages.
Flame and Frost
- Primary article: Flame and Frost (achievements)
This release's living story is an expansive narrative that tracks the story of charr and norn refugees as they seek new homes after a disaster.
- Primary article: Refugee Volunteer
The first part tasks players with helping Norn and Charr make their way through Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau. Players can assist by building signposts, lighting campfires, helping wounded refugees and retrieving mementos from refugees who have fallen.
- Flame and Frost mail, an in-game mail alerting players to story-related events.
- Herald, the in-game mechanism for informing players about the storyline.
- This update made adjustments to the dynamic leveling system, including allowing players to receive their own level of loot regardless of the area.
- Flame and Frost: Prelude on official website
- Overview of the upcoming months by Game Director
- Introduction to the Living Story blog post
- Overview of new Laurel system
- Overview of Guesting system
- Dynamic Leveling adjustment blog post