The three orders are multi-racial organizations which are dedicated to combating the awoken Elder Dragons.
Each character in your account may join one of these orders during the last chapter of their level 30 personal story. This choice is permanent and determines a significant portion of the middle parts of the story. Each of the orders has their own proud traditions and philosophies about what tactics will ultimately defeat the dragons. While they are rivals at times, they all recognize that protecting Tyria is the most important goal.
- Durmand Priory: The scholars of the Priory believe the dragon can be defeated using ancient knowledge of past victories.
- Order of Whispers: The secret agents of the Whispers order believe the dragons cannot be defeated, but must be returned to sleep.
- Vigil: The Vigil believe a united army of all the races can defeat an elder dragon.
Which order am I in?
If you have forgotten then you may determine it by:
- Opening the Hero panel (Default: )
- Select Story Journal on the navigation bar on the left
- Select to display a drop-down menu
- If the second entry is
- If you have not yet completed the personal story for level 30 then you are not in any order.
Comparison of orders
|Durmand Priory||Order of Whispers||Vigil|
|Mentor||Magister Sieran||Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw||Warmaster Forgal Kernsson|
|Headquarters|| Durmand Priory
(in Lornar's Pass)
| Chantry of Secrets
(in Bloodtide Coast)
| Vigil Keep |
(in Gendarran Fields)
|Personal story|| Begins with
Dredging up the Past
| Begins with
| Begins with |
A Fragile Peace
|Weapons||Priory's Historical weapons||Whisper's Secret weapons||Vigil's Honor weapons|
|Armor||Priory's Historical armor||Whisper's Secret armor||Vigil's Honor armor|
|Connection to GW1||Durmand the historian||Order of Whispers||(none)|
- You must choose an order to complete your personal story. It is also required for Krytan map completion, since Claw Island can only be unlocked during the story.
- Characters may only purchase weapons and armor from the order they belong to.
- Prior to the Heart of Thorns expansion, the orders' flags would be unlocked as trophies on the character selection screen the first time a character on that account joined a particular order.