An order is a multi-racial organization which is dedicated to combating the awoken Elder Dragons.
In Guild Wars 2 there are three orders, one of which the player joins as part of their personal story and which determines a significant portion of the higher level parts of that story. Each of the orders have their own philosophies about what tactics will ultimately defeat the dragons. While they are rivals at times they recognize that protecting Tyria is the most important goal which they each share.
The three orders are:
- Durmand Priory: The scholars of the priory believe the dragon can be defeated using ancient knowledge of a past victory.
- Order of Whispers: The secret agents of the Whispers order believe the dragons cannot be defeated, but must be returned to sleep.
- Vigil: The Vigil believe a united army of all the races can defeat an elder dragon.
- You must choose an order to complete your personal story. It is also required for Krytan map completion, since Claw Island can only be unlocked during the story.
- Your choice also determines your mentor and the orders equipment you are able to acquire.