Sorrow's Embrace (story)
The dredge have claimed all former lands of the dwarves. What was once Sorrow's Furnace, a place of dredge enslavement, is now known as Sorrow's Embrace. Great peril may still be found within these depths.
— In-game description
Zojja, pursuing clues of someone misusing her late master's research, has gone into the depths of Sorrow's Embrace, which is now a center of power for the xenophobic dredge. Caithe has convinced Eir to help rescue her, and has asked that a group of heroes come to help.
The heroes find a great dredge army massing in the depths, aided by the asuran technology of the Inquest, and further discover that the asura behind the research is one of Zojja's old rivals, Kudu. The players also discover why Logan and Rytlock are angry at each other, why Zojja is cruel to Eir, and why Destiny's Edge may never be reunited.
- Travel into Sorrow's Embrace to find Zojja.
- Help Zojja stop the Inquest.
- Stop Kudu's nefarious plan.
- Congratulations! You have defeated Kudu's Iron Forgeman!
- Standard fight.
- For an easy fight the recommended kill order is Normals > Asura veteran > Golem > Boss
- The boss will be passive until the others are down, so take your time and don't waste repair money.
- A good tip for any parties having trouble with his pulls and burning when he's at about 50% and starts saying, "My flamethrower wants to say 'hello'", is to switch entirely to melee and stand in opposite sides.
- Standard fight.
- He hits very hard on melee; your melee party members should go ranged.
- He uses chain lightning bolts that bounces between group members. Dodge when it comes it towards you to break the chain.
- If you stay spread you'll only get hit once a minute or so. If you don't you'll get hit hard every 10 seconds or so. So stay spread.
Beyond the second boss, Zojja will encounter a broken door that needs 3 cogs from a working door. Unfortunately, to get to the working door, there are three one-hit kill stompers, a group of 5-6 dredge, and a Champion Dredge. Therefore, it is advisable to use swiftness to run in and grab the cogs from the door and then easily jump down and escape. Fighting the dredge mobs near the stompers is difficult, and the dredge will not get pulled through that dangerous area.
Behind the broken door is a large room full of dredge. On the lowest level there are several large groups of mixed silver dredge and regular dredge. Arranged around the room on the upper levels where the players come from are several dredge mortars. Taking these mortars out first before engaging the groups in the center of the room is advisable. After that make your way down to the bottom of the room. Pull the large groups one by one to make the fight easier. Alternatively, many groups skip the mobs in this room by going up the right (south) side of the room, then dropping down and running into the tunnel.
- This is a 5 phase fight. You will go through the phases in the following order: 1 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 1 > 4 > 1 > 5.
- If you wipe you will restart the current phase. You do not have to fight him from the beginning each time.
- In phase 1 you're fighting Kudu himself. He's slightly less powerful than an average veteran and shouldn't pose a problem. Save your cooldowns for other phases.
- Phases 2, 3, 4 and 5 happen at 75%, 50%, 25% and 0% respectively during which Kudu is invulnerable.
- In phase 2 you'll be fighting a physical golem. This phase is pretty much like fighting a champion golem, which you've faced before.
- At certain points, the golem will target a player with a blinking light. This doesn't damage the player themselves; instead, it damages nearby pets and other players. As such, it's recommended you stay away from other players if/when this happens to you.
- In phase 3 you'll be fighting a fire golem. He burns A LOT, so equip some condition removal. He regularly does a fire spin that will heavily damage anyone near him. He will shoot everyone with fire bolts that will cause burning, which you should either dodge or remove as the constant damage will probably kill you. He will spawn Lava Fonts, which you should avoid. Avoid using Conditions, because he converts them into healing (or if you must, overwhelm him with conditions to burn through the healing).
- In phase 4 you'll be fighting a poison golem. He's similar to his fiery pal, but deals more direct damage and less area effect damage. Keep a close eye on him and dodge when he shoots a volley in your direction; provided you only take one or two shots it won't be fatal. Being able to remove bleeding and poison will help if he hits you. He will pull players in and then punch them, but if you spam dodge you should make it out just before the punch lands.
- Phase 5 is 3 regular veteran golems which you should kill with no trouble if you made it this far.
This fight is largely utilizing simple movement and environmental weapons rather than directly attacking the boss (though one can do so with ranged weapons), and can be easily soloed by one player doing it right.
The area has a catwalk that encircles most of the Iron Forgeman, with four points with walls. The boss has three attacks that it alternates through: one where it fires a laser over the entire catwalk, one where it fires a laser across the front and down the ramp leading to the area, and lastly one where it dumps lava and Flame Jellies onto the four corners with walls. During the first two attacks, you want to stand behind walls to avoid the laser, which can instantly kill players, and alternatively when it pulls on chains to pour lava you want to be away from the corners and on the metal grate catwalk.
When pouring lava, the Iron Forgeman will spawn Flame Jelly mobs, which are normal mobs and when killed they will drop a boulder. Throwing these boulders at the boss deals massive damage to it, being much faster than using normal ranged attacks.
- Ambient creatures
- Champion Dredge Resonator (61)
- Dredge Bomber (62)
- Dredge Disaggregator (62)
- Dredge Oscillator (62)
- Dredge Resonator (62)
- Dredge Reverberant (62)
- Dredge Excavator (56, 60)
- Dredge Worker
- Elite Dredge Bomber
- Elite Dredge Disaggregator
- Elite Dredge Mining Suit (62)
- Elite Dredge Oscillator
- Elite Dredge Resonator
- Elite Dredge Reverberant
- Elite Dredge Soldier
- Veteran Dredge Oscillator
Entering the dungeon:
- Eir Stegalkin: We should be off. Zojja may be in trouble.
- Caithe: Let us wait for the others. It serves no purpose for us to go into these dredge caves without support.
- Eir Stegalkin: Do you know why she came here?
- Caithe: I have never been able to understand the asura. Knowing Zojja, it has something to do with Snaff.
Talking to allies:
- Caithe: I'm glad that you have joined us here. As I told Eir, Zojja has gone before us, into the depths of Sorrow's Embrace.
Why is Zojja here?
- I do not know, but I assume it has something to do with her rabid protection of Snaff's creations.
- Snaff was Zojja's master and mentor. He...passed on many years ago. Zojja is always hunting down those who misuse his inventions.
- I see. Let me ask another question.
- I understand.
- I see. Let me ask another question.
Why is Eir here?
- I knew Zojja was coming here, and told Eir. She is worried about the little asura. I am hoping that the two may reconcile as a result.
- I hope you're right. Let me ask something else.
- I see.
- What is Sorrow's Embrace?
- Then we shoule be off after her.
- Garm: Garm sniffs the air and gives a low growl.
- Eir Stegalkin: Caithe insists we wait for everyone before setting out after Zojja. Is everyone assembled?
We're all here. Let's head out!
- Good. Zojja is somewhere down here. We should find her.
- Let's get started, then.
- Hang on. More will be joining us.
- Not yet. You must be patient.
Cinematic with Eir:
- Eir Stegalkin: We should go, Caithe. Zojja may be in trouble.
- Caithe: In a moment. Our friends should know what they're getting into.
- Caithe: Sorrow's Embrace was once a great forge. The dwarves that lived here kept dredge as slaves.
- Caithe: When the dwarves went into the Depths, the dredge made these diggings their own.
- Eir Stegalkin: And now Zojja has stormed in here. We don't know why, but we need to find her. It may already be too late.
Talking to allies:
- Caithe: We should locate Zojja as quickly as possible.
You're worried about her?
- Zojja has always been the youngest and most impulsive of our group.
- She has always been dedicated to her teacher, Snaff. If someone is using Snaff's research, she will not rest.
- I see. Let me ask something else.
- I pity those who stand in her way.
- From what I know, I'd agree. We should go.
Why did you bring Eir along?
- Zojja and Eir have a history, much like Logan and Rytlock. Perhaps if they can talk, we can reunite the group.
You think Zojja and Eir will tal?
- I don't see why not. We all worked together well...once.
- Interesting. Tell me something else...
- People change over time. We should go.
- I hope you're right. Let's go find Zojja.
What do you know of this place?
- The dredge carved these great burrows for their dwarven masters. When the dwarves went into the depths to fight the Great Destroyer, the dredge took over.
- That's quite a history. Tell me more.
- Interesting. Let's press on.
- Agreed. Let's get moving.
- Eir Stegalkin: Are we doing the right thing? I've tried to mend fences before, but it just made Rytlock angry. I doubt Zojja wants to even talk to us.
Why is that?
- Old sins, which never die, I am afraid.
- Interesting. Tell me something else...
- How cryptic.
Why is Zojja here?
- If I remember correctly, Kudu was one of her mentor's other apprentices. Zojja doesn't like anyone using Snaff's work.
- Interesting. Let me ask something else.
- She does seem determined to stop Kudu.
- Well, there's only one way to find out.
Encountering the foes at the bridge:
- Elite Dredge Soldier: Me next! I want to use the weapon now!
- Elite Inquest Operative: Patience! This is a precision Inquest instrument, not some brute force piece of dredgework.
- Elite Dredge Soldier: Wait, what's that? We have interlopers in our lands!
- Elite Inquest Operative: Intruders? I will warn your masters. You get them.
- Eir Stegalkin: I recognize that asura. He's Inquest.
- Caithe: Why would Inquest be working with dredge?
- Eir Stegalkin: I don't know, but I bet that Zojja does.
Entering Mechanisms of Production: (each two lines repeat until enemies are aggroed)
- Elite Inquest Instruction Specialist (1): Relax and press the trigger. Don't yank it.
- Elite Inquest Instruction Specialist (1): These weapons are advanced, but you should be able to use them with ease.
- Elite Inquest Instruction Specialist (2): Don't take the net for granted. Some enemies can escape it quickly.
- Elite Inquest Instruction Specialist (2): This is what I respect about you dredge. You are diligent to the end.
- Elite Inquest Instruction Specialist (3): With Inquest weapons, you dredge will be unstoppable!
- Elite Inquest Instruction Specialist (3): Our rifle is light, adjustable, and versatile. It is ideal for rapid responses.
Approaching Inspector Snik and Overseer Kolt: (not in chat box, repeats until aggroed)
- Elite Overseer Kolt: These rocks aren't going to mine themselves!
- Inspector Snik: While a true observation, just telling them to get to work would probably be more succinct.
- Elite Overseer Kolt: A golem could do this work in half the time, and it wouldn't complain.
- Inspector Snik: If the golems are not working, don't waste your time talking to them.
- Elite Overseer Kolt: Put your backs into it!
- Inspector Snik: Good Job.[sic]Keep them working. We need more ore.
While fighting Inspector Snik:
- Inspector Snik: My flamethrower wants to say "hello."
After pulling lever:
- Caithe: The dredge! They're...fleeing in terror?
- Eir Stegalkin: Why do I think that Zojja is responsible?
- Caithe: She could be in trouble. We need to find her!
- Dredge Worker (1): The Inquest are crazy if they think I'm fighting her!
- Dredge Worker (2): No reward is worth facing HER!
Cinematic with Noko:
- Zojja: He's here, isn't he? He's running things for the Inquest!
- Golem Specialist Noko: We're not afraid of you!
- Zojja: Your fear is irrelevant. I know Kudu is here, and I'm here to stop him!
After the cinematic:
- Golem Specialist Noko: Bah! I will need more than mere brains to defeat you!
- Golem Specialist Noko: My advanced assault golem will destroy you all!
Cinematic after defeating Noko:
- Zojja: Caithe! What are you doing here? And why did you bring that norn with you?
- Eir Stegalkin: Caithe told me you came down here. I was worried about you.
- Zojja: Worried? That the little apprentice couldn't handle herself?
- Eir Stegalkin: That's not what I meant.
- Zojja: Or maybe you were just hoping to see another asura die. Is that it?
- Eir Stegalkin: I just came here to help.
- Zojja: Fine. If you don't need me, I'll leave you to your petty vengeances.
- Caithe: Eir, Zojja. Don't be foolish.
- Eir Stegalkin: No. She's right. You DON'T need me. No one really needs me, do they? Come, Garm.
- Zojja: Let her go, Caithe. She knows I'm right. She's lost her nerve. What good is she?
- Caithe: I thought you were smarter than this, Zojja.
- Zojja: I am. And we've got more imporant [sic]things to worry about. We need to find the Inquest, and, more importantly, find their leader.
After the cinematic:
- Dredge Saboteur: Quickly! Quickly! Destroy the mechanism!
- Dredge Saboteur: Yes! And then let's get out of here!
Talking to Zojja:
- Zojja: If you're coming along, you're going to have to keep up—mentally and physically.
Why are we down here?
- My master's discoveries are being sold to humans in Kryta. Kudu and the Inquest are behind it.
- A fraud. A swindler with a snake's heart. The most twisted mind in the Inquest. He stole my master's discoveries.
- Sounds bad. Can I ask something else?
- Okay, then. Let's deal with him.
- That doesn't sound right.
Why are you made at Eir?
- Don't talk to me about that norn! If you want know,
- That's not all I want to know.
- Okay, then. I will.
- Lead on. I will follow.
Reaching the Door Mechanism to the Dredge Square
- Zojja: They've sabotaged the doors. I can fix it, but we need cogs. I saw another door over beyond the crusher. We can use cogs from there.
- Caithe: I saw those crushers when we were coming in. They look fairly treacherous.
- Zojja: The dredge don't worry about occupational safety. Just be careful around them!
Interacting with the Door Mechanism:
- Door Mechanism: The door mechanism has been sabotaged.
- Repair it with this cog. (if you have a cog)
- Leave it alone. (if you do not have a cog)
After repairing the Door Mechanism:
- Zojja: There we go! Mechanism fixed! Gate open!
- Caithe: Let us go, then.
- Caithe: By the Tree! It is full of dredge!
- Zojja: Looks like some sort of major speech.
- Caithe: You think we can go around? Or fight our way through?
- Zojja: Check out the mortar cannons on the ledges. We should take care of them before they take care of us.
- Zojja: The Inquest base should be on the far side of all this. Let's clear a path through those dredge and find it!
Entering Dredge Square (doesn't appear in chat window):
- War Minister Shukov: We, the dredge people, have succeeded where so many have failed.
- War Minister Shukov: We have thrown off the shackles of our masters, and rose to dominate their former lands.
- War Minister Shukov: They have fled before our rising power into the depths, and leave us their ruins.
- War Minister Shukov: And it is with this in mind that I, Sukhov, say to you, the great unwashed masses of the dredge, that we begin a brave new era.
- War Minister Shukov: For too long we have remained apart from the world, protective, afraid to engage with others.
- War Minister Shukov: Yet now we have the opportunity to move forward.
- War Minister Shukov: You have seen asura in our halls.
- War Minister Shukov: You have seen their golems patrolling with our troops.
- War Minister Shukov: You have seen advisors from the Inquest improving our work processes.
- War Minister Shukov: All of this is the beginning of the New Era, of the great opening of the world for the dredge people.
- War Minister Shukov: With this great opening, we will spill from our mountain homes, and with the aid of our new allies, will come to dominate the lesser races of this land.
- War Minister Shukov: With the aid of the Inquest, as their first-chosen of allies, we shall conquer the norn and charr, humble the sylvari, and put the ancient humans in their place.
- War Minister Shukov: We will succeed, and we will dominate!
After defeating the assembly:
- War Minister Shukov: We may be outfought, but we will never be beaten!
- War Minister Shukov: We will return, with greater numbers!
- War Minister Shukov: We fall back for now, but the dredge people will thrive against all enemies!
Cinematic reaching the corridor's end:
- Zojja: This gate is just locked, not broken. I can get through this in no time.
- <Character name>: Caithe. Zojja was cruel to Eir. Why does she hate her so?
- Caithe: Zojja hates Eir. Rytlock and Logan hate each other. And all because, long ago, we made a terrible mistake.
- Caithe: Once we fought together as one. Myself, Rytlock, Logan, Eir and her wolf, Snaff and his apprentice. We called ourselves Destiny's Edge. We were the best the world had seen. We fought dragon minions from the Sea of Sorrows to the Crystal Desert. We encountered Glint. She was a legendary creature that served Kralkatorrik, the crystal dragon, until she betrayed her master. Kralkatorrik awoke, and flew south to slay its traitorous lieutenant, leaving devastation in its wake. We stood beside Glint, ready to face an Elder Dragon, but Logan was suddenly called away. We were weakened, but Eir thought we could still stand and fight. Eir was incorrect. We were defeated. Kralkatorrik killed Glint. We lost Snaff as well.
- <Character name>: And they all blame each other.
- Caithe: And Eir blames herself. She lost more than a friend that day.
- Caithe: I've tried to bring them back together, without success. I know I am missing something, but what?
- <Character name>: Perhaps they need to come to terms with themselves before they can come to terms with each other.
After the cinematic:
- Zojja: This door is going to take longer than I thought. Watch out for hostiles.
- Caithe: You get the door. We'll keep you safe.
- Zojja: That's it, the door's open. Get inside, quick!
Cinematic with Kudu;
- Zojja: Kudu! I knew you were behind all of this.
- Kudu: Obviously. Who else could bend the dredge to my will? Not you, of course. You were never that smart.
- Zojja: You're using Snaff's discoveries for evil!
- Kudu: Zojja, please! I was smarter than Snaff when you were still playing with blocks!
- Kudu: I think he'd be proud to see what I've done with his theories about dragon energy.
- Zojja: Snaff would never approve of such things! I'm here to stop you!
- Kudu: Oh, I see I've hit a nerve. Fancy that. Still protective of our old master, eh?
- Kudu: You should see what I'm building down here. Pity that my golems will destroy you first, and you'll die in ignorance!
Cinematic after defeating Kudu:
- Kudu: You always were crafty, Zojja. But craftiness is not true genius.
- Zojja: Come down and fight, you coward!
- Kudu: Hm, let me think about it. No, I don't think so.
- Kudu: But if you survive long enough to follow me, I'd love to show you my latest creation.
Talking to Zojja:
- Zojja: I knew Kudu was behind this! We must pursue hime!
What did Kudu do?
- Kudu was Snaff's apprentice before me. He stole Snaff's discoveries and is using them for the Inquest
Interesting. Didn't he say something about dragon energy?
- Snaff discovered that the dragons have their own unique forms of power. Kudu wants to harness those energies.
- We'd better stop him, then. Let's go.
- Sounds bad. Let's go get him.
- Let's go!
Cinematic approaching the Iron Forgeman:
- Kudu: Do you like my latest? It's better than anything our master Snaff ever did! I have harnessed dragon energies to power it.
- Zojja: You've perverted Snaff's theories, and you will be punished for this!
- Kudu: I may be punished, but not by you. I have places to go and people to kill, but I leave my creation here to keep you company! Tah!
Cinematic after defeating the Iron Forgeman:
- Zojja: I can't believe Kudu fused the energy of a draconic minion into the shell of an ancient dredge creation!
- <Character name>: What did you mean when you said he perverted Snaff's ideas?
- Zojja: Snaff discovered that the elder dragons radiated their own unique energy. But he felt that this draconic energy was too unstable to work with.
- Caithe: Kudu and the Inquest seem to disagree with that assessment.
- Zojja: Kudu was Snaff's apprentice before me. I don't doubt the he will continue these experiments.
- Caithe: We should get Eir and the others. Get their help.
- Zojja: They are useless, but go after her if you must. I am going to move forward, and defeat Kudu once and for all.
- As the final boss descends into the lava he gives the party a thumbs up. This is a reference to the movie "Terminator 2"; when the T-800 is terminated he gives John Connor the thumbs up.