You will join my kingdom! You and all the world of the living! I shall take you, and you will join my generals, and we will march on your cities and sweep them all from your path!
— King Adelbern
King Adelbern (1011—1090 AE), known to the charr as the Sorcerer-King, was the last monarch of human-controlled Ascalon. In his younger days, during the time of the Guild Wars, Adelbern was the champion of his guild, Ascalon's Chosen. Well-liked by the citizens of Ascalon, with his easy demeanor and battlefield heroics, he was crowned king by the people's demand despite not being next in line for the royal crown. He started out as one of the most popular kings in the history of the walled nation, but towards the end of his reign, he was driven increasingly mad and obsessed by the war against the Charr.
The Searing drove the Ascalonians from Rin, a source of shame and ire for the king. Not willing to stand down, Adelbern was determined to defend the city from the charr. Prince Rurik, his only child, advocated making peace with Kryta and taking shelter within its borders. This remained a source of tension between the two, culminating in Rurik leading a faction of Ascalonians into Kryta. Rurik ultimately perished during conflict with the Stone Summit dwarves. The king was devastated by his son's death and hardened his resolve towards the defense of the city.
His efforts proved futile and Ascalon City eventually fell to the encroaching charr army in 1090 AE. Accounts of this conflict differ between human and charr records. In human accounts, his forces fell to the charr and Adelbern was left to fight the charr alone. He eventually fought his way to the Imperator of the Flame Legion, wielder of the Claw of the Khan-Ur. The Claw clashed with Magdaer, Adelbern's sword, and caused a spark of power that engulfed the land for leagues around. This event became known as the Foefire. The charr accounts offer an alternate version of the events. Rather than fighting to the death, his forces retreated from the city, leaving their king behind. In his rage and despair, Adelbern struck the ground with Magdaer, producing the immense burst of energy now referred to as the Foefire.
Adelbern suffered the same fate as other Ascalonian ghosts due to the Foefire. He can be found in the Ascalonian Catacombs to this day, guarding his kingdom against all threats, both above and below ground, and waiting for the return of his son.
- Pulls Enemies Close
- Summons Foefire
- Fire Swing - Melee attack that cleaves.
Gash - Melee attack that cleaves.
- Burning for 2 seconds. Final Thrust - Melee attack that cleaves and inflicts
- Foefire - Creates an area of effect firestorm at target location that pulses twice per second over 6 seconds, dealing damage with each pulse.
- Pulls nearby enemies in a point-blank area of effect.
- Stolen skills
- 1-2 random pieces of equipment of Masterwork rarity or above.
|Bag of Wondrous Goods||Container||Masterwork||1|
- Concept art
- King Adelbern is voiced by Bob Joles.
- King Adelbern has a striking similarity to Constantine XI Palaiologos; last Emperor of the East Roman Empire who likewise died at the ultimate fall of his realm's capital city. Legend has it that he never died and awaits under the earth to reconquer his lost city as "the Immortal Emperor".