Completing all of an area's hero challenges is one of the four requirements to earning the corresponding explorer achievement.
There are several types of hero challenges:
- Direct combat — defeat a single foe (usually an initially friendly one, who offers the challenge).
- Horde combat — battle a veteran (in Central Tyria) or champion (in Heart of Maguuma) and several weaker enemies; usually summoned by activating an object.
- Item challenges — an interactive object will give an item that can be consumed to receive a hero point; often located in hard to reach areas.
- Communing with a place of power.
- Dialogue - during a conversation with an NPC, choose the correct answers from a given selection of possible answers.
- Minigame - complete a minigame challenge, such as Deputy Crackshot's hero challenge
Communing is the act of binding with, or gaining unique and powerful knowledge from, an object or "place of power", which is a place emanating magical power, such as sacred objects or areas of certain tribes, or possessing historical significance in Guild Wars lore. Places of power are frequently guarded by a Veteran enemy or a Champion enemy, which does not have to be defeated, but which can interfere and interrupt the channeling process, which requires a certain time to complete to gain the hero point.
- Notarized Scroll of Heroics — Central Tyria, cost 1 token, give one hero point.
- Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics — Heart of Maguuma, cost 10 token, give 10 hero points.
List of hero challenges
- List of hero challenges in Ascalon
- List of hero challenges in Kryta
- List of hero challenges in the Maguuma Jungle
- List of hero challenges in the Maguuma Wastes
- List of hero challenges in Ruins of Orr
- List of hero challenges in the Shiverpeak Mountains
| Heart of Maguuma
- Hero challenges released with the original game have yellow icons, and those added in later releases are green.
- If a hero challenge has previously been completed, the icon becomes filled in, signifying that it has been complete in terms of contributing towards map completion.
- Icons with the infinite symbol in the bottom right corner can be repeated - these are usually combat hero challenges.
- It is impossible to gain more than the one intended hero point from item challenges by stockpiling them in the account vault/bank, as consuming any of the same item (Cuatl Tonic, for example) a second time will cause it to simply disappear without rewarding another hero point.
- Before June 23rd 2015, hero challenges were called skill challenges, which had a light blue chevron icon.
- At one point during development, there were hero challenges in major cities such as Rata Sum.
- There were 183 hero challenges during the first Beta Weekend Event, 176 during the second, 187 during the third, and 199 hero challenges during the August 2nd stress test.
- As of the August 9th Stress Test there were 201 hero challenges.
- As of the August 15th Stress Test there were 203 hero challenges.
- As of launch day, 28th August 2012, there were 202 hero challenges.