Capture points are locations which players must stand in for a period of time to claim for their team. Capture points appear in PvE, WvW, and sPvP. They are signified by a transparent circle or square on the ground.
To capture a point your team must remain in the area. An unclaimed capture point will be colored white. In order to successfully capture a point, the following steps must be fulfilled:
- If the point has already been claimed by the enemy team, you must neutralize it before it can be captured.
- There must be no members of the opposing team in the area.
- The time it takes to capture a point is not influenced by the number of people in the area.
- Once captured the point may change to your team's color, or be removed if in a PvE environment.
- Capture point contribution is prevented while using skills that grant any form of invulnerability (see below). In addition, points cannot be captured while stealthed.
A capture point is contested when both teams have players in the area. While contested, the capture point will not move toward neutralization or capture.
A capture point which is not owned by either team is neutral. The time to neutralize a point is much quicker than the time to capture it. Neutral control points are always shown in white.
Profession skills that prevent capture point contribution
- Renewed Focus — Meditation. Focus, making yourself invulnerable and recharging your virtues.
- Vengeance — Rally and fight normally for a brief time. You have a chance to fully rally if you kill an enemy. When the vengeance ends, you are defeated.
- Elixir S — Elixir. Drink Elixir S to shrink yourself, recover from stun, and evade attacks.
- Fortify — Use magnetism to envelop yourself in a shield, becoming invulnerable.
- Mist Form — Cantrip. Morph into an invulnerable, vaporous mist for a brief time.
- Obsidian Flesh — Envelop yourself in stony armor, making yourself invulnerable.
- Vapor Form — Assume a mobile, vaporous form, returning to a downed state when the effect ends.
- Distortion — Shatter. Gain distortion and destroy all your clones, gaining additional distortion for each one shattered.
- Illusion of Life — Manipulation. Give allies Illusion of Life at the target location, allowing them to get up from downed state and keep fighting. Fully revives allies if they kill a foe.
- Continuum Split — Destroy all your clones and create a rift in the space-time continuum. When it expires, you will revert back to your original point with your previous health, endurance, and skill recharges. Duration increases with each illusion shattered. This skill's recharge cannot be reset by other mesmer skills.
Racial skills that prevent capture point contribution
- Prowl — Use Snow Leopard's grace to be unseen by your foes
- Take Root — Take root at your current location, becoming immobile, but causing several turrets to grow nearby.