Reflect incoming damage back to its source; stacks duration.
— In-game description
Damage dealt depends on the level and power of the Retaliation's source (i.e. whoever gave Retaliation to the entity being attacked). At level 80 this is:
198 + (0.075 * Power)
Retaliation will stack in duration up to a maximum of 5 times.
- See also: Boon#Related skills
Weapon skills that grant retaliation
- Symbol of Wrath
- Chaos Storm (randomly between swiftness, retaliation and aegis)
- Phantasmal Mage
- Unholy Feast
- Whirling Defense
Underwater weapon skills that grant retaliation
Utility skills that grant retaliation
- "Save Yourselves!"
- "Stand Your Ground!"
- Signet of Judgment
- Contemplation of Purity (when removing confusion)
- Signet of Inspiration (randomly)
- Well of Power (when removing confusion)
- Elixir B
- Pain Inverter
- Prayer to Lyssa (randomly)
Skills with special conditions that grant retaliation
- Contemplation of Purity (converts confusion on you to retaliation)
- Toss Elixir B (randomly between fury, might, retaliation and swiftness)
Skill combinations that apply retaliation
- See also: Boon#Related traits
Traits that grant retaliation
- Healer's Retribution (upon using a healing skill)
- Pure of Voice (when removing confusion)
- Retaliatory Subconscious (upon being dazed, stunned, knocked down, knocked back or feared)
- Virtue of Retribution (upon activating a virtue)
- Wrathful Spirit (when aegis ends)
- Spiked Armor (upon being struck by a critical hit)
- Quick Breathing (when removing confusion)
- Hidden Flask (when struck while below 75% health)
- Gadgeteer (upon use of A.E.D.)
- Experimental Turrets (upon using Rocket Turret)
- Elemental Contingency (while attuned to fire)
- Bountiful Disillusionment (with Mind Wrack)
- Confusing Cry (upon Cry of Frustration)
- Retaliatory Demise (when downed)
- Retaliatory Shield (upon blocking)
- Vengeful Images (to phantasms)
- Spiteful Spirit (upon entering Death Shroud)
- Spiteful Vigor (upon healing)
Traits that affect retaliation
- See also: Boon#Related equipment
Upgrade components that grant retaliation
- Rune of Sanctuary (rank 4)
- In PvP and WvW, retaliation damage is reduced by 33%.
- Bug: In the Heart of the Mists, retaliation damage is the same as in PvE. It is (correctly) reduced by 33% when in any PvP map.
- When retaliation is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||Feedback loop initiated.||Go ahead, hit me!|
|Charr||Go ahead and hit me!||Retaliation incoming!|
|Human||Go ahead, hit me!||Pain for pain!|
|Norn||I'll return the favor!||Come on, hit me! I'll hit back.|
|Sylvari||I dare you, hit me.||This rose has thorns, and here they are!|
- Prior to October 22 2012 update, Retaliation had an effect monitor icon resembling that of a starburst.