Caudecus's Manor (explorable)
Caudecus the Wise is currently accepting the hospitality of Queen Jennah while repairs are being made to his manor. Others seek to profit from the minister’s absence.
— In-game description
Lord Caudecus is the guest of the queen, and his mansion is being watched over by the Shining Blade. However, bandits are also active in the area, seeking to pillage the unprotected mansion, capture its staff, and recover the asuran technology that Uzolan had pirated.
- All paths
Meet with Shining Blade Exemplar Talie.
- Talk to Shining Blade Exemplar Talie.
- Asura path
Meet with Shining Blade Exemplar Talie.
- Find the asuran technology expert.
- Talk to Traffa.
- Help Traffa locate the stolen asura technology.
- Clear out the bandits.
- Frost's smuggling ring has been broken.
- Seraph path
- Locate the missing Seraph.
- Save the Seraph sergeant from the bandits.
- The Seraph have been rescued and the bandits have been stopped.
- Butler path
- Learn about the missing servants.
- Stop the slave-running operation.
- The slavers have been stopped and the servants are free.
- 70% experience towards the next character level
- Bonus Gold (first time each day per account)
- 20 Seals of Beetletuns for the successful completion of a path
- 80 Seals of Beetletuns as bonus for the first completion per path per day
- Bandit Spineguard
- Beetlestone's Band
- Caudecus's Journal
- Spineguard of the North (path 1)
- Recipe: Plague (path 2)
- Recipe: Vallog's Demise (path 3)
Asura Route (Path 1)
- Sure-Shot Seamus
The first boss you will encounter is Sure-Shot Seamus. Move slowly down the hallway clearing the adds and any archers in the side rooms you need in order to destroy the technology before engaging Seamus. He starts the fight with 2 pistols and uses a rapid fire ability that causes bleed before switching to a shot gun after a small amount of damage has been done to him. When he switches to the shot gun, he uses a skill called Blowout that fires in a cone in front of him and causes knockdown to any who are hit. About 0.2 seconds after standing up from the knockdown, he will fire again so dodge immediately or you will be chain stunned. There are also two Net turrets that need to be taken out quickly to allow full movement for the fight. The best way to counter Blowout is to strafe around him or dodge as the range of fire of it is only 45% in front of him. Do not try to pull him down the hall as he will usually reset if the fight progresses too long. If you destroyed the Asuran Technology in the second to last room on the right and immediately in front of Seamus, you can go through the door that opens on the right. There is much more room to maneuver out there and you can avoid his Blowout by strafing and dodging around him. After the fight you do not get loot or a chest, and the door to the barn leading to the next boss is opened after a short cut scene.
- Gunpowder Morgan
Gunpowder Morgan is one of the easier bosses to fight, as all his attacks are 100% avoidable if you are aware of your surroundings. There are 12 riflemen that spawn after the cinematic who do additional damage to moving targets. Morgan will throw bombs as his main attack, kicks close range targets, and every 15-20 seconds will carpet bomb randomly all around him. His main attack is avoidable without even needing to dodge, just run to the side whenever a circle appears beneath you. His AoE bombs take a little more skill to avoid because they are random, but if you're lucky, may not require you to move at all. If the group gets into position on the platform above Morgan while one group member stays behind watching the cutscene, they can take out the riflemen when they spawn without having to deal with their aimed shot while the member who stayed behind engages Morgan. Once the adds are gone, Morgan is fairly straight forward fight and avoiding his bombs can be easily done with a little attention. Defeating this boss and his adds will unlock a new waypoint from the barn. He has approximate 350.000 HP.
- Bloody Victoria
Bloody Victoria will be the next boss you face. She is a melee boss, uses Death Blossom to give you 6 stacks of bleeding. Also, she will vanish very often and reappear behind a random party member. When she reappears, she performs a stun and backstab that kills anybody. Due to her vanish, it may be hard to predict (and therefore dodge) some of her attacks, although you can see her move on the minimap. To counter this, be sure to bring at least one skill that breaks stuns or blocks attacks and other skills to remove conditions (as her bleed is quite deadly).
The final boss has some very annoying mechanics. His main attack uses an ice-thrower, which chills the target and does high amounts of damage. The chill can usually guarantee death if you are hit by it. He also has the skill Ice Shard that will freeze a target in place. There are three Golems as well that activate separately at 75%, 50%, and 25% health. Also, there are three rocket turrets that do medium amounts of damage to a small area. Your best strategy is to burn down the three turrets, as they have little health. Next, as Golems are activated, destroy them immediately. They can do high amounts of damage, and also make it hard to avoid Frost's attacks. It is recommended that you bring a ranged weapon to this fight, and essentially kite Frost around the encampment taking care not to get hung up on the variety of small obstacles on the ground. Condition removal and stun break skills are a must for this fight.
*There is currently a bug in Path 1 where there's a chance of no Final Award given after defeating Frost.
Seraph Path (Path 2)
- Enter the manor at the center, there are bandits in some of the rooms, they may use turrets that throw a net on the player. Some rooms have traps, these can be avoided by walking only on the rugs and pillows (like the children's game where the floor is lava).
- After clearing the manor center, the right (east) wing will be open and can be cleared.
- After clearing the right wing of the manor, bandits will appear outside the manor. Clear the bandits.
- Hunting Hound is one (of the possible?) events that can be found outside.
- After clearing the event, many bandits will spawn. They will keep respawning untill the players use powder kegs to blow up the gate that's behind the bandits (see "Bombing the Gate" section below). Players must therefore try to blow up the gate before and while killing the bandits, who will try to pick up the kegs. All 5 kegs must be in place at the same time for them to explode. The kegs are located in a pile against the lodge nearest the gate.
- After the gate, players will encounter two more bosses. The final boss does damage in a large area, as usual, players should avoid standing in these red circles.
The first boss you will encounter is Bridgette. She will use the skill Symbol of Faith, which regenerates her health and damages enemies. She will also use Symbol of Wrath, which gives her retaliation and also damages you. Her two symbols will only damage you if you stand in the circle, but her Symbol of Faith will not have a red ring, so be careful. Also of note is if she is pulled out of her Symbol of Faith, she will stop her health regeneration. It would be advisable to avoid attacking when she has retaliation up, though the damage can be healed through.
- Hunting Hound
Note: Make sure to clear any other nearby groups of enemies before engaging.
The hound can be a frustrating fight, not due to difficulty but because of length. Its melee attack causes cripple, and it will frequently cast a large AoE fear (the reason all nearby groups need to be taken out first). It can also Pounce, causing a 5 second stun. It is recommended that you focus on immobilizing or slowing the hound to limit where the battle goes.
- Bombing the Gate
5 gunpowder barrels need to be placed in the red rings in front of the door. The barrel stash is on the other side of the small courtyard in front of the gate. There are a number of infinitely spawning bandits in the courtyard and in front of the gate. They do medium amounts of damage but are attracted to barrels on the ground; they will remove barrels from the gate. To defeat them, you must overload them with potential targets: Before the fight begins place a number of barrels far away from the barrel stash as possible, then a number of team-members need to start chucking barrels all over the courtyard, making sure all the bandits are well occupied. The remaining team members try and build up the explosives in front of the gate, making sure there is one in each little red circle. As soon as the 5th barrel is placed, the fuse will light and the door will blow. The red circles will not appear If you have casting rings turned off in your graphics options. A mesmer can AoE suck large numbers of enemies back away from the gate using the Into the Void spell on their focus. Keeping the enemies crippled or frozen is a must for this fight, otherwise things happen very fast and you can't stop the bandits from picking up your kegs.
The final boss of this path is quite powerful. He will constantly cast large AoE circles which inflict chilled, poison, bleeding, cripple, and weakness conditions. He will also use Plague Form, which turns him invulnerable and charges towards a random player, causing heavy damage as well as inflicting conditions on those nearby. Avoid the red circles before they hit because a follow-up circle will finish you off. If possible, try to avoid dodging out of the circles so that you are prepared to avoid the Plague Form. Also, using a ranged weapon for this fight is advisable so that you can deal consistent damage even while running out of the circles and dodging his charge.
Butler Path (Path 3)
In this route of the dungeon, it is advised for everyone to take condition removal and blind/chill abilities. Many of the enemies in here are archers/riflemen/melee. Also, endurance recovery is important as there are many AOE attacks from bombardiers that must be evaded to prevent excessive wiping. A ranged weapon is very important in this route due to several turrets that need to be taken out before fighting anyone.
- After the second boss the traps only activate when the red circle is showing. Time it right to get through without suffering the 2500 spike traps. Directly after that, one can skip the mobs by running up the ramp and jumping down to the empty platform, after which the mobs will de-aggro. Take care not to stand too near the Rifleman who will snipe you from afar. After reaching the empty platform, pull the pair of mobs at the tunnel entrance (beware of patrol) to proceed. Further on any Rifleman can be shot down from afar using spells and ranged attacks, or by sending (ranger) pets, which somehow does not aggro the other mobs.
- The final boss for the butler route, Vallog, will only use ranged attacks, and will toss fireballs that deals small aoe damage. Upon reaching the exit of the cave where there is a ramp heading down on your left, Vallog is in sight on the small floating platform. Take out the Rifleman one by one before engaging Vallog from the top of the ramp.
- Sure-Shot Seamus
Does a cone blast from his shotgun that causes knockback. Stay at range as he will try and approach into almost melee range to do his attacks. He comes with 3 silver adds.
He uses a lot of explosives similar to a bombardier, so likewise just time your evades and you will be able to kill this boss easily. His pattern is fairly simple, he will shoot five (5) regular grenades, then he will shoot his multi-grenade AoE. Count the small grenades to be able to dodge the multi-grenade AoE.
This boss uses multiple low damage AoE skills. He can be killed on his raft very easily and is one of the easiest fights of the dungeon. Melee can jump on his raft to damage him and the most they have to fear is being knocked into the water, which they can jump back onto the ledge from.
- Tips and advice
The general kill order is thug, bombardier, saboteur, cutpurse, everything else.
After you enter the mansion from beating the first boss in the Butler route, there will be a crossroads. On the right there will be more adds to fight, but on the left there will be a panel on the wall you activate. This opens a hidden door to a room full of rocket turrets. You are then able to equip Air Rifles near the entrance of the door that will reflect the rockets back to the turrets to damage them. All player skills that reflect projectiles will deflect the rockets, not reflect them. You must use the Air Rifles to pass this part. The time window you have to reflect the rockets with an air blast is very lenient and this part can be solo'd by one person.
Next important note is that there is a room full of traps with 2 riflemen and a bombardier at the end of the hallway. The traps appear and disappear and cannot be disarmed, and if you try and blitz across you will almost immediately die. The way to pass the traps is to run along the right side when the traps go from red circles to inactive, then halfway through, run through the left. Upon reaching the end, your team should immediately focus down the bombardier to stop the AoE damage and inflict as many blind/weakness/chill effects as possible. This will make this part of the dungeon very easy. (If you need a visual idea of how to get pass the traps imagine just running against the right wall, then roll to the left. Then just roll/jump to the mobs.) After killing the group the traps will become inactive and you can run freely through the hallway. The traps actually can be disarmed if at least one party member makes his way beyond the 3 bandits, through the tunnel into the next room. If the party member advances far enough into the next room, up the rocks and onto the ramp on the right side for example to avoid further aggro, the traps stop working.
In the room right after the traps, there will be a large group of enemies, 2 camps of bandits. There are non-silver bandits as well as silver ones, but you will only need to pull one of the groups with a ranged attack. Lure the group into the trap room and try to keep them all in the doorway if you can. Then, aoe blind/freeze/weakness them and just aoe them in general. After the non elites are all dead they will not respawn, focus on killing the thug first then the bombardier (or the bombardier first if you are confident you can out damage the heal of the thug) (Note: This first group actually can be avoided as well as the second one. Jump onto the small rock at the right wall and over the railing onto the ramp). Once that group is dead, you can safely walk up to a ramp to the right where the first group was standing. Stay close to the right side of the wall and walk up the ramp (Note: there is a hole in the railings so be aware of it, if you fall you will aggro the second group of mobs). After reaching the top of the ramp, your team can then jump down onto the platform below and kill the 2 riflemen in the doorway. There is a patrol behind the riflemen that walk up to the door and then walk back, so time your attacks carefully. After the two riflemen are down, take out the patrol and then pull the next group of silvers into the room you were just in.
- Estate Worker
- Exemplar Talie
- Medic Rosina
- Sergeant Gunther
- Shining Blade
- Bandit Bombardier
- Bandit Bomber
- Bandit Cutpurse
- Bandit Enforcer
- Bandit Hooligan
- Bandit Rifleman
- Bandit Saboteur
- Bandit Scatter Shot
- Bandit Scout
- Bandit Thug
- Bloody Victoria
- Elite Bandit Archer
- Elite Bandit Saboteur
- Gunpowder Morgan
- Hunting Hound
- Mad Martha
- Net Turret
- PWR 935i
- Rocket Turret
- Sure-shot Seamus
Talking to Exemplar Talie (cinematic):
- Exemplar Talie: Halt. No one's allowed - wait. You rescued Queen Jennah. On behalf of the Shining Blade, you have our thanks.
- Exemplar Talie: I've locked down Caudecus's estate for further investigation, but I have three problems still in front of me.
- Exemplar Talie: There's an asura sent by the Arcane Council who needs help. I can't spare any. If you can, I'm sure she would welcome it.
- Exemplar Talie: There's also some Seraph missing and believed to be somewhere on the grounds. If you could find them, I'd greatly appreciate it.
- Exemplar Talie: Finally, I'm investigating the disappearance of Caudecus's butler. I could use your assistance in the matter.
- Exemplar Talie: When you're ready, let me know your plan and I'll open the doors for you.
Talking to Exemplar Talie after the cinematic:
- Exemplar Talie: Have you made a decision?
- I'll help the visiting asura.
- I'll look for the Seraph.
- I'll help you find the missing butler.
- I need more time to decide.
Helping the Asura
After choosing this path:
- Exemplar Talie: The asura is through the doors. Be careful. She appears to be carrying explosives.
After finding Traffa:
- Traffa: Oh, are you here to assist me? Excellent. You may call me Traffa.
- Traffa: I require assistance locating some pieces of stolen asura technology.
- Traffa: Point out any golem remains to me, and I'll dispose them. Oh. you might want to cover your ears.
Talking to Traffa:
- Traffa: Bawh! Criminals! Cutthroats! Murderers! Pickpockets! They're all over the place. Stop them!
- Hang on. I'll handle them.
After destroying all pieces of technology:
- Traffa: We've scoured the manor, but I'm still getting readings.
- Traffa: There must be another source...uh, some place close.
- Traffa: Everyone, outside. We need to check the other buildings.
After defeating Sure-shot Seamus (cinematic):
- Sure-shot Seamus: Stop! Don't hurt me.
- Traffa: You and your associates, why are you stealing asura technology?
- Sure-shot Seamus: It was Frost's idea. He said after Caudecus got taken away, this place would be easy picking.
- Sure-shot Seamus: When we found these gizmos, Frost reconed we could sell them on the black market.
- Traffa: Terrific. First Uzolan, now this. Leave him, we have to stop this Frost before he steals anything else.
After the cinematic:
- Traffa: Gizmos! Honestly, decades of hard work and that bookah called it a gizmo.
Talking to Traffa:
- Traffa: Sparks and fuses! The bandits are taking asuran devices out of here, likely to sell them to any nefarious element they can find. This is disastrous!
- We can't allow that to happen. Let's go.
Confronting Gunpowder Morgan (cinematic):
- Gunpowder Morgan: Oh, look at this. This place is ours for taking. Find some other house to clean out.
- Traffa: I am Errant Technology Disposal Operative Traffa of Rata Sum, and you possess stolen technology.
- Traffa: I'm requesting that you hand them over for elimination. No questions will be asked if you comply now.
- Gunpowder Morgan: Ol' Frost would have my head for a bowl o' soup if I did that. Don't worry, runt. We'll take care of the elimination, starting with you.
After defeating Morgan:
- Traffa: Keep going. We have to locate Frost.
Encountering Bloody Victoria:
- Bloody Victoria: Hello, little one. You've been a busy little girl, haven't you?
- Bloody Victoria: No going further for you. It's too dangerous. You might get hurt.
- Traffa: We don't have time for this. Dispatch her!
After defeating Bloody Victoria:
- Traffa: Oh my, I've never had a bounty on my head before. Let's get this over with. Frost can't get away!
Encountering Frost (cinematic):
- Frost: You must be why the gizmo shipments stopped coming in. Huh, I expected something...bigger.
- Traffa: They're not...never mind. Step away from the stolen goods right now. They're dangerous and must be disposed of.
- Frost: We found them, they're ours. And they're gonna make us rich.
- Frost: You want them so bad? Come and take them. I'll skin you alive and fly you like a flag.
After defeating Frost (cinematic):
- Traffa: This incident report will make some interesting reading. Bandits, hidden passages, smuggling — not the typical day.
- Traffa: Usually, it's just me in a junkyard with explosives, safety goggles, and a notepad.
- Traffa: But your hard work will be mentioned in my report.
- Traffa: In the "Required Assistance" box, I will check "Yes." In pen, even. Thank you, and good day.
Talking to Traffa:
- Traffa: I've never had so much exitement in my life. I don't even know where to begin cataloging all of this. Oh, but where are my manners. Thank you. Thank you so much.
So, what's next for you?
- Document everything that happened here, file my report, and submit my receipts for reimbursement. Then hope I never get another assignment like this.
- I'll level with you: fighting isn't my equation. I enjoy a job well done, finely filed paperwork, and then a warm drink amid Rata Sum's hum and glow.
Are you joking? You did well out there. You're a natural adventurer.
Stick to paper-pushing. People like you get in the way of us professionals.
- Your profiency with rudeness is only matched by your loutish achievements at violence. I believe we are done here. Good day!
- My pleasure, desk jockey.
- But you made it through. Think of the stories you can tell. Take care.
- Good luck.
- You're welcome. Take care.
Finding the Seraph
- After choosing the path
- Exemplar Talie: "The Seraph soldiers are somewhere on the premises. Good luck."
- Finding Rosina (cut scene)
- Medic Rosina: "Bandits. A bunch of them blindsided us, dragged off my commander and another Seraph."
- Medic Rosina: "These masked rats held me here... they tried... they made me..."
- Medic Rosina: "...I'll be okay. They poisoned me. I can cure myself. Just get my satchel. I think it's nearby."
- Finding the satchel
- Medic Rosina: "Oh, thank you. I should have my strength back in a minute."
- Medic Rosina: "Those criminals have my friends. We need to get them back. No excuses. Let's go."
- Approaching Potter
- Bridgette: "What's the matter, Seraph? Afraid of a little fight?"
- Bandit Scout: "Cut his hamstrings. That'll stop him from running away."
- Defeating Bridgette (cut scene)
- Seraph Potter: "Rosina, you're alive. Thank Dwayna. I owe you for this."
- Seraph Potter: "The bandits took the sergeant through the gate, said they were going to make him kiss Lyssa's Tongue."
- Medic Rosina: "Oh, gods. We need to find the sergeant. Now!"
- Seraph Potter: "There's an army of bandits in there. Have you lost your mind?"
- Medic Rosina: "Lyssa's Tongue makes you talk. They used it on me, and I told them everything... even when I tried to stop."
- Medic Rosina: "I told them the sergeant knows all about Divinity's Reach security. We have to find him before he talks. Come on."
- Seraph Potter: "You didn't have a choice. They made you do it."
- Opening the gate
- Medic Rosina: "If those bandits learn anything because of me-"
- Seraph Potter: "We'll take care of this. Let's just find the sergeant."
- Finding the sergeant
- Turmaine: "Talk! Tell me everything about the Seraph, about how to get to that precious Queen Jennah."
- Sergeant Gunther: "No... I won't tell you... I... I..."
- Turmaine: "Sure you won't."
- Freeing the sergeant
- Medic Rosina: "Hold still, Sergeant. I can put together an antidote."
- Medic Rosina: "I'm sorry. They used the potion on me. I told them how much you knew. If I only held out longer I..."
- Sergeant Gunther: "Maybe it's the drug talking, but you're being too hard on yourself."
- Sergeant Gunther: "You fought against overwhelming odds, rescued your superior, and stopped a bandit operation."
- Sergeant Gunther: "Job well done. Now, about that antidote."
- Medic Rosina: "Right away, Sergeant."
Finding the Butler
After choosing this path:
- Exemplar Talie: The butler vanished before I could question him about what happened here. We need to find him alive.
Finding the butler:
- Albert: Please. Show mercy. Let me go.
- Bandit Enforcer: You know, Vallog doesn't seem like a guy who needs a butler.
- Sure-shot Seamus: Maybe he'll hunt him for sport.
After saving Albert (cinematic):
- Albert: Thank Dwayna you found me. I thought I was going to end up like them. They're all in terrible danger.
- Exemplar Talie: Slow down. Who is in danger? Who were those people?
- Albert: Bandits. They're everywhere. They've taken the rest of the staff deeper into my master's estate.
- Exemplar Talie: You'll be safe, but don't leave the estate grounds. I still have a few questions about your master.
Talking to Albert:
- Albert: I shall tend to this mess. You head on and save the rest of the staff.
- Why are the bandits taking the people?
- I haven't the foggiest idea. Those ruffians just appeard and started taking us away. You have to stop them!
- Where did they go?
- I saw them go further down the passages. Please hurry.
- Got it. Stay here. We'll save the others.
- Why is the Shining Blade interested in you?
- Don't worry. I'll save them.
- Servant: Please, no. Let me go!
- Bandit Scout: Forget Vallog. We should kill these whiners.
- Bandit Enforcer: Corpses lead to questions. These whiners know too much. They need to vanish.
After defeating Wahlen (cinematic):
- Servant: They stormed in here and started hauling people down to the river.
- Servant: They kept mentioning a name. Vallog. Kept saying he's coming. And we're to be sold to him.
- Servant: They just took another group to the river. If you hurry, you can catch them.
- Exemplar Talie: All of you stay here. We'll find the rest of the staff.
- Vallog: I don't like delays. Where are my slaves?
- Exemplar Talie: Slavery's illegal in Kryta. Even the animals know that. It looks like some animals need to be reminded.
- Vallog: You'll regret those words when I whip the skin off your bones!
After defeating Vallog (cinematic):
- Exemplar Talie: Bandits selling their own kind to the centaurs? Disgusts me to even think about it.
- Exemplar Talie: Those passages couldn't have been built without someone being aware.
- Exemplar Talie: I'm sure one of the servants has to know something. The Shining Blade will handle it from here.
- Exemplar Talie: Thank you, and safe travels.