First Mate Kiango
First Mate Kiango
Stand down—this one here's under parlay. You touch him/her, you'll feel the steel of the whole Sly crew.
As a corsair, Kiango served loyally in Captain Sayida the Sly's crew in the Domain of Istan and eventually became her first mate. During Palawa Joko's reign, she helped the rest of the crew capture enemies of state and bring them to the Mordant Crescent Great Hall in exchange for bounty money.
In 1330 AE, the Sly crew managed to ambush and capture Spearmarshal Zaeim, who had become a notorious opponent of the Mordant Crescent and the Joko Loyalists with his revival of the Order of the Sunspears, and delivered him to Warden Amala as per the corsairs' agreement with the Mordant Crescent.
Not long after handing in Zaeim, Kiango met with the Pact Commander who had arrived at the Sly ship, The Dark Leviathan, to parley with Sayida for Zaeim's freedom. Although some crew members intended to capture the Commander, Kiango warned the corsairs not to fight as long as the Commander was under the effect of parlay, which granted immunity for anyone invoking it for the duration of the talks, or she would have rule-breakers face Sly steel.
After Sayida had revealed the new whereabouts of Zaeim and been convinced to work with the Commander to free the spearmarshal, the Sly crew got to work to deliver strong grog to the Awakened at the great hall to get them intoxicated and allow the Commander a chance to find Zaeim. While Sayida and the Commander embarked on the daring mission, Kiango stayed behind on the Sly ship.
After Sayida added an airship to her fleet with the bounty money she had received by delivering the Commander and Zaeim to the Mordant Crescent, Kiango continued serving as the captain's first mate. Sayida assisted the Commander in assaulting the Inquest megacomplex of Rata Primus with the airship and sent her fleet to intercept Joko's Scarab Plague ships launched from Gandara, the Moon Fortress during the Battle of Gandara in 1331 AE.
In 1332 AE, the Sly crew joined forces with the Commander's other allies in Thunderhead Peaks to take down the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik. Kiango's motivation for joining the fight was to ensure that the Elder Dragon would not destroy the world and thus deny the corsairs from getting their hands on future loot and treasure.
One of the corsair airships was heavily damaged by Kralkatorrik's Brandstorm, leaving behind valuable detonators which were ultimately salvaged by the Commander. After observing the animosities between the corsairs and the Pact for a time, Kiango entered the Auditorium of Thunderhead Keep along with other Sly crew members to listen to the Commander's speech to the troops before the confrontation with Kralkatorrik.
- Sly Crew
- In Thunderhead Peaks
- This place is freezing, but Sayida is convinced being here is the right thing to do. No treasure in a world where everyone is dead.
- Very altruistic of you.
- Kiango's Spyglass can be found atop the main mast of The Dark Leviathan.
- Kiango means 'light' and 'lamp' in Swahili.
- ^ Tracking the Scientist Letter from Canach: By the way, Rytlock tells me our corsair friend, Sayida the Sly, used all that bounty money to get her hands on an airship. That may come in handy—assuming she sees an opportunity to enhance her reputation or wealth, of course.
- ^ Forearmed Is Forewarned Taimi: Commander, Captain Sly's corsairs are on their way. If Joko tries to launch any plague ships, Sayida's gonna sink 'em.
- ^ Resonance
- Sayida the Sly: Your prickly friend passed on your request, and you know me—I never miss a chance to blow up a mountain.
- Sayida the Sly: Canach is rounding up volunteers. But we have a problem here at the docks.
- Sayida the Sly: Kralkatorrik's Brandstorm took down the other airship—the one carrying Canach's detonators.