I don't know if that is known as a fact, but I received a named exotic weapon (Anura) in a simple chest in the cursed shore (in the small chest next to the grenth waypoint in the burried archives, behind a veteran orr guardian or something). It is maybe one of the visible consequences of the loot changes, and probably a very lucky drop, but still good to know.
There's at least one type missing here: "Descendant's Chest", which is what you gt for playing the right song on the pipe organ in Ebonhawk.
- 1 Open Rate
- 2 Semi-Exploit
- 3 Contents
- 4 Chest research
- 5 A "day"
- 6 Unlisted event
- 7 Queued Bonus Chests
- 8 Random Chests For Being Awesome
- 9 Post 2015/06/23 patch
- 10 Feedback 2016/05/19
- 11 How often do JP chests and open world chests respawn?
- 12 Are normal chests and JP reward chests (splendid, magnificent, etc) daily gated per account or character?
- 13 Rework
The site says "...reset every 24 hours after being opened" I found it actually resets with the daily acheivements (midnight UTC/4:00pm PST) hopefully someone else can confirm this before I change the main site text.... 126.96.36.199 14:51, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
Not sure about the reset with dailys, I opened the chest at The Osenfold Shear at around midday 11th Feb, at 10am on 12th Feb it hadnt reset.
Side note: I don't get tons of time to play this game (being married and all) and I came across an 'exploitable factor of chests;' open the chest at the end of a jumping puzzle and save there; when you next load up the character (after it has reset) the chest is openable again! I used the term exploitable because the reward of the chest is usually after the journey getting to it and you are technically 'double dipping' into the chest for only doing one journey. This 'exploit' is not exactly a game breaking feature: I left all but one of my characters at the end of a jumping puzzle chest; they were able to access the chest after every reset with just a simple login and open. Down side of this? If your doing this to get loot from the chest you have to wait for the next reset to get more loot and the flaw to this method is that the character is in essence un-usable until they leave the exploit. I'd recommend this method only if your limited already in time; or perhaps you only play one character at time: set the other characters up to a simple login and loot (I used a jumping puzzle in Lion's Arch). [side note: if the Wiki Admin's find this inappropriately placed please feel free to move/delete] 188.8.131.52 14:51, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
- I wouldn't call this an exploit, since you do pay a "cost" in that you can't do anything else with that character. A lot of people did the same thing to camp the Rich Orichalcum Vein in Southsun Cove (before it was removed). Unless you're selling all the loot on the BLTC, it's not easy to move anything to other characters on your account (mail it to someone else and have them return-to-sender). In any case, the loot you get from jumping puzzle chests is hardly top-quality, so it's not even going to affect the economy very much. —Dr Ishmael 15:35, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
- I agree it's not an exploit (per-se); but it's still a good source of loot for someone who doesn't get lots of time to play: free time after work, kids, and wife limits me to roughly 1-3 hours of time to play (enough time to do the daily achievement; or spread over the course of 5 character slots is about time to do 1-3 events); with such limited time this actually gives good loot based on time spent: two items and 1 jewel/gem based on character level? I have a level 80 character that can get 2 items (sellable at the merchant for usually 1-2 silver) and a gem (usually T4-T5) and it only takes me 30 seconds (most of which is game loading time). I don't know of many other sources that can get gold as quickly. But alas, your right: it definitely isn't going to break the game economy anytime soon.... 184.108.40.206 18:58, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
Weel thought I would share my findings with chest contents thus far; opened just under 100 chests (mostly splendid and magnificent at the end of jumping puzzles) and here's what I noticed! Consistantly 3 items everytime: 1 weapon, 1 armour piece, and 1 'upgrade piece' The weapon and armour piece I found always was random, statistically matching the number of possibilities (ie: armour was 33% light, 33% medium and 33% heavy; actual numbers for me was 36/33/31 but I assume that was from the limited number of openings). I found the type of weapon and type of armour was also evenly random (ie: equal number of swords, wands, foci, staves, hammers, et cetera; and equal number of helms, gloves, boots, pants, et cetera). The last section I didn't know what to call so I called it 'upgrade piece'. It's drop was one of the following: gem of specific tiers, crests, doubloons. I'm not sure on the drop rate on those, mine was as follows: 71 gems, 11 crests, and 18 doubloons. (Maybe 2/3 gem, 1/6 crest and 1/6 doubloons?) Another thing I noticed was the level of the items: Your character level dictated the item drops. I always received drops where the weapon and armour was +/- 5 of your character's level. Also the 'upgrade piece' was of the corresponding or one lower level: level 10 characters got Tier 1 gems and copper doubloons only (which I think might explain the wierd drop rates for 'upgrade pieces' as there is no low-level crests). My level 80 character also received weapon and armour drops that was always 73+ in level; but I did receive Tier 5 and Tier 6 gems and ('Crest') Crest and Medallions (which are level 65 requirement items.... maybe count as Tier 5 Crests?) Lastly I didn't think to record percents of rarities, but I always got blue and green weapons and armour (80/20 split-ish); with the only rare being crests and doubloons ('upgrade piece' 71 blue 30 rare). One of my characters had +1% magic find so I think it's pretty accurate there (lol). Flaws: 1.) This list is 95/100 chests from jumping puzzles, whether the drop rate is different for chests in the 'wild' (ie- guarded by veterans/champions) I don't know.... 2.) Low test rate; having only opened 100 chests I can only give educated guesses as to percents; I never got any exotics but I know you can, thus an innaccuracy (possibly in the fractions of a percent). 3.) In game updates; this is my total of chests since the game was released, if drop rates or chest drop rates have been changed since then (and ANET told us or not) leaves much of this to be taken with a (heaping) 'grain of salt'. 4.) Other flaws I didn't notice in my method, explained by you the reader! I'll update this when I get closer to 1000 chests opened; please feel free to add to my findings if you have any! 220.127.116.11 14:40, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
- Chests are not affected by magic find. Otherwise, those are some good statistics. —Dr Ishmael 15:05, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
Chest researchSince most Glorious Chests and even [Group Event] Ensure that the Pact holds the Gates of Arah (80) give updated daily loot, could someone help me verify whether the glorious chest from [Group Event] Defeat the Risen High Wizard and secure the Promenade of the Gods (80) is one of them as well? Kanda 17:31, 7 March 2013 (UTC)
Do the reward chests reset each day, at midnight UTC (same as Daily Achievement)? I wrote "24-hour period" but I think that may be wrong. llandale 02:13, 10 April 2013 (UTC)
- Nearly all JP chests reset with the daily (midnight UTC). A few do not (e.g. Sharkmaw), but will be reset if you guest or are in overflow. Event chests obviously reset with events. There are a few environmental chests that seem to be on a node-like schedule (e.g. after a few hours), but I don't visit them often enough with the same character to be sure.
- The easiest way to confirm the sharkmaw chest reset anomaly is to finish it at a few minutes before daily, [f12], and notice it looks like it hasn't reset. Then, guest to another server and it will be closed. Guest to a third server and it will be open again.18.104.22.168 02:41, 10 April 2013 (UTC)
- Maybe info on when chests reset could be added to the main page? --Combatter 13:26, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- I just opening the chest in CS by the risen arch mage twice within 5 hours. The daily had not reset, nor had I completed the daily challenges.
- Maybe info on when chests reset could be added to the main page? --Combatter 13:26, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
I think the event called Draw out and destroy the Demagogue's spirit gives a bonus chest, but is missing from the list. Could anyone confirm this and edit it in? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) at 13:09, 15 April 2013 (UTC).
- I have seen this event far too many times on various 'no, it doesn't' lists to put much hope in it. I will however try it someday. Kanda 21:12, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
Queued Bonus Chests
The article says currently that you can have 3 floating chests visible on screen, with 1 hidden one queued. Any beyond that are deleted. This may not be the case anymore (if ever). I have 2 achievement point chests waiting for me (of course, only the first will be visible since one can only get one per day), as well as a wvw rank chest. That is two chests floating side-by-side above my map. I did tequatl's event to completion while these were floating, and I saw 3 floating chests. After opening the third chest, another appeared, and again and again. In total I had 4 tequatl bonus chests waiting for me beyond the 2 for AP and WvW rank. This proves that either the AP and WvW chests don't count towards the floating chest maximum queue, or that the maximum is higher than 5. PracticalShutIn (talk) 20:49, 11 October 2013 (UTC)
- As far as I can tell they are not deleted, they are automatically opened. And the cap is much higher now. You can have much more chests queued before they start getting opened on their own. MithTalk 19:16, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Random Chests For Being Awesome
One type of chest that isn't mentioned is the random chests for being awesome. These pop up randomly for no apparent reason. For example, one time upon killing a low level monster, a Lionguard appeared and pointed at the ground. Where she pointed a chest appeared, and it had a rare item in it. Have other people seen this happen? Maybe know why it happens? 126.96.36.199 06:06, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Yes. Random chests do appear. I was completing a heart once and I killed one mob- I believe it was a one hit kill (which shocked me). What also shocked me besides the fact that my mob died so quickly, was that a chest just appeared on the ground and when I opened it, voila! A great item out of a randomly appearing chest.-Moon Heart.2574 (Darkhaven)
Post 2015/06/23 patch
seems there is a new name for the bonus chest ((583302)), and certainly a new background + icon. -Chieftain Alex 18:10, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
Here's a Dev quote about chests being auto-consumed (past the 4th chest)
There is a hidden mechanic that after *switching maps*, the game auto-consumes bouncy chests down to 4 remaining. It’s a confusing oversight as the normal procedure is to finish a match and leave the map before opening all the boxes. The items and currencies are in your inventory and wallet.
How often do JP chests and open world chests respawn?
They don't seem to reset at the daily reset time (server time 12 midnight), but instead seem to have their own internal cooldowns from the time you last looted them. --188.8.131.52 01:58, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
- Unless this has been updated in the past year, the chests 'respawn' every 24 hours from having looted them. -Darqam (talk) 03:09, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
Are normal chests and JP reward chests (splendid, magnificent, etc) daily gated per account or character?
Or can they respawn after a certain amount of hours? --184.108.40.206 11:52, 20 March 2019 (UTC)
- per character, probably 23 hour reset. -Chieftain Alex 13:43, 20 March 2019 (UTC)
There are so many chests in the game by now. It would be nice to have the whole list of chests. Probably every map should have a list of chests and then the main page should have list of these other pages. The List of chests in Auric Basin would be the best example. Just add strongboxes and their locations. Add also one sentence that you can get Exalted Chest. Can I take a "look at it" ? It would take a long time by serching the map, compleating events to see if there are chests as rewards and then probably also checking the loot table from these specific chests ? --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 10:26, 12 April 2019 (UTC)